IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

32 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Do you mind sharing which model Adnaco?  There's quite a few.  As mentioned the JCAT XE + Monoprice aren't a stable option.  

And thanks for the memory tip, gskillz 4266mhz b-die running at 3200mhz (and standard! spd profile otherwise) is a good step forward indeed.  

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

There are several Adnaco solutions that work depending on how many SFP ports you want, 1 to 4 is possible. The Adnaco USB remotes, Adnaco-R1USB30B, are always the same.  There are two PCIE cards available, the H1A with one port and the H2-01  with four ports. Everything can be ordered without any fiber cables or SFPs.

If you study their site you will see there are lots of other intriguing possibilities.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

7 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

There are several Adnaco solutions that work depending on how many SFP ports you want, 1 to 4 is possible. The Adnaco USB remotes, Adnaco-R1USB30B, are always the same.  There are two PCIE cards available, the H1A with one port and the H2-01  with four ports. Everything can be ordered without any fiber cables or SFPs.

If you study their site you will see there are lots of other intriguing possibilities.

There's a few combos that'll work for me no problem, thanks.  Did you modify the host PCIE card in order to power it, or simply run your system via HDPlex combo to power?

14 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I wonder if it is possible to use the R1USB30B on the transmitting end, with a usb cable from the Jcat XE USB PCIe card to a R1USB30B on the DAC end?
Any thoughts?

It would seem that since the R1USB30B is a transceiver that it wouldn’t matter and would work on either end.

It would be interesting to see how that compares to using Adnaco’s PCIe card.

1 hour ago, Nsxturbo said:

I wonder if it is possible to use the R1USB30B on the transmitting end, with a usb cable from the Jcat XE USB PCIe card to a 

North Jersey

Close Modal

263 McLean Blvd.
Route 20 Retail Center
Paterson, NJ 07504

on the DAC end?
Any thoughts?

It would seem that since the R1USB30B is a transceiver that it wouldn’t matter and would work on either end.

It would be interesting to see how that compares to using Adnaco’s PCIe card.

The Adnaco devices transmit and receive PCIE bus level signals at bus speeds. As such, they need a real PCIE bus at one end or the other. Given this I would guess that the configuration you propose is unlikely work as the R1USB30B is not a full PCIE bus implementation or host as there is no OS, USB drivers . . . etc. Please write Adnaco to confirm.

You could use one of their remote PCIE bus extension solutions and plug a JCAT card into that for a galvanically isolated JCAT solution.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

You could use one of their remote PCIE bus extension solutions and plug a JCAT card into that for a galvanically isolated JCAT solution.

I realized that after I looked closer at their solutions, seems like a decent possibility, depending how you power their remote PCIE expansion card.

4 minutes ago, Nsxturbo said:

I realized that after I looked closer at their solutions, seems like a decent possibility, depending how you power their remote PCIE expansion card.

Provided the fibre link can keep signal integrity, this might be worth a try to get the JCAT XE away from the "noisy" host at least, though i'm sure the host will still want powering as well as possible.  I'll enquire.

Here we go ! Really did do it this way😁

U can see the power leg of the LH Labs Lightspeed 2G usb cable plugged into the 5v LPSU and the signal leg coming outbofvthe SHAAR USB card

Instant connection when power on my HQplayer Server and music starts in 2 minutes

INSTEAD of 10min Ethernet connection . power   cycle thru my DAC , SM200 U neo , my external     OXCO Clock sync with my ER... what a PAIN😂

I noticed better dynamic drive on USB instead of all the Ethernet /USB conversion!

In my system USB is now KING provided u manage to separate signal from power . YMMV Of course

6E21D1BA-64BD-4C64-8ACF-6C2BAA994AFD.jpeg

E6F64470-C4E6-43AC-842D-2A17CD123AEF.jpeg

14 hours ago, lmitche said:

Is it just me or do any of you also notice a SQ improvement with the latest version of Roon (build) 610?

It looks as though this version is distributing processing across more cores which could explain what I am hearing.

Larry

I noticed an improvement with 610 also but I am using Audiolinux 2.5 with isolated cores on a dual core machines... So it must be more than just core distribution because I only have one core for audio applications😁

23 hours ago, lmitche said:

As promised, below please find an update to my project list posted on July 4th

Damn Larry you have been busy, this pandemic right?

If I may can I comment on your excellent report?

There are a lot of great online posts about which SFPs sound best. Which sound best here?

These are just the SFP+ correct? which hardware are you using to mount these? I am asking because IMO the hardware "could be" more critical to the SQ than the actual SFP. Also using 1GB SFP vs 10GB SFP+ could be better as well. The idea is to keep the laser emitter parts "emitting" on lower values and frequency range. This is just my take after testing RFI with SFP's. At the same time I can't guarantee the increase of RFI will actually detriment the SQ, no way to prove it :)

Team Group and Gskill

Thank you, any preference here

Test active AIO pump and fan combos with high power Intel based Hqplayer solution. Need to find a fan and pump combo where it is possible to control the pump speed as well as fan speed from one speed control. Are one, two or three fans best? Is pump vibration a factor in SQ?

Very interesting, pushing the EC modulators yes AIO cooling is ideal, that is my next project as well

No difference in SQ was observed between 8gb(2x4gb) of memory and 16gb(2x8gb) of memory. Nevertheless switching to 16gb (2x8gb) as a new standard makes sense as 1) 4gb modules are getting more difficult to find, and 2) 16gb is a more future proof solution by leaving room for expansion.

Roon recently updated their database, don't know if the actual structure or parts of the engine, don't know if this will affect SQ but I'm sure CPU usage was directly linked to database size which in the case of Linux based installations (yours and mine) was not so efficient as the Roon version running in Windows. I personally think Roon SQ has degraded a lot and seriously considering leaving HQP and moving out of Roon or looking for simpler alternative.

If one didn't know better, either supply delivers a musical and  enjoyable presentation. But yes, a dual LPS solution sounds best and is a worthwhile upgrade

I will be testing a Seasonic Fanless see how it performs

Thanks again Larry

21 minutes ago, lmitche said:
  • Yes, it looks like there is no avoiding water cooling with the Hqplayer EC modulators for PCM to DSD upsampling with either AMD or Intel CPUs. Maybe the biggest Noctua air coolers can do it, I don't know. PCM to PCM works fine with passive cooling however.

Can confirm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-D15-SE-AM4-Premium-Dual-Tower/dp/B01NC06ZYT/ with my motherboard's BIOS set to "silent" cooling profile manages to keep the 3900X cool enough to run Poly-Sinc-XTR (non-2s) at DSD 512 rates, whilst remaining quiet.

55 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Poly-Sinc-XTR (non-2s) at DSD 512

poli xtr is the modulator that for some reason distributes the load better across all cores, better than other filters on my core usage vs filter testing somewhere on the HQP thread. All poli's as a matter a fact are good. And before being more OT and being called out by Rajiv I will step out.

2 minutes ago, luisma said:

poli xtr is the modulator that for some reason distributes the load better across all cores, better than other filters on my core usage vs filter testing somewhere on the HQP thread. All poli's as a matter a fact are good. And before being more OT and being called out by Rajiv I will step out.

It does correct, but the other filters that typically target a few cores at high speed also run fine with fans at low rpms (quiet to silent).  

4 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

It does correct, but the other filters that typically target a few cores at high speed also run fine with fans at low rpms (quiet to silent).

But not with EC mods in my testing, but you are correct, with few cores 2C / 4T YES, sorry my bad did not read properly

16 hours ago, Bricki said:

I noticed an improvement with 610 also but I am using Audiolinux 2.5 with isolated cores on a dual core machines... So it must be more than just core distribution because I only have one core for audio applications😁

i have a 7i7 NUC running audio-linux and euphony stylus.

what are the recommended settings for core isolation?

6 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

I tried this, but I can't recommend this solution. Any PCIe extension is a step back in SQ... 

A good LPS into the cards + a  good PSU for the complete PC is the best solution.

Regards, 
Marcin

Hi Marcin does the JCAT XE need a driver for the Z570 and Z490 motherboards to recognize the USB card?

I had a USB 3.0 driver but this stop working with my latest Z490 motherboard 10700k PC!

Any ideas ?

59 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I’ve already asked the electrician to come back & add few more rods/spikes to get the 25ohms down to say 5 ohms. He’s thinking off creating a pit for each rod/spike to add magnesium sulfar, which will help with moisture/soil condition. 

You sre unlikely to be able to achieve that low a resistance without a special grid as often used by Radio Amateurs and in Telephone Exchanges etc. Even then, that can be difficult in rocky areas.as we found in French's Forest Telephone Exchange in Sydney when we needed to upgrade the earthing. The additional earthing should also be on the side of the house that gets the least sun.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020