IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

On 7/6/2021 at 7:33 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

That would be great. I’ve run into issues with music stuttering, only to see Roon maxing out my CPU for some reason. 

Chris, I appreciate you posting this so that it doesn't look like I am the sole crazy person experiencing a problem no one else is.

No electron left behind.

You guys can go and read it for yourselves, but this was my initial post, word for word exact copy from the Roon forum.

"Currently, Roon will do its background processing whenever it feels like it, whether it be in the middle of music playback or not. I can hear when Roon starts this process in the quality of playback. Roon already has issues with sound quality, this isn’t helping. Maybe this should be looked at and made a setting where the user can decide if they don’t care, or if they would rather Roon do its processing overnight or while music is not playing."

That was my feature request...

No electron left behind.

Relex !! Music listening is for the purpose of RELAXING ... 

Why not leave your precious time more on listening music ....

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

58 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

EVEN IF MY DAC WAS CONNECTED TO THE CORE, REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF PROCESSING DURING MUSIC PLAYBACK WOULD STILL BENEFIT THE QUALITY OF THAT PLAYBACK...

I'm sure you know this, but for completeness sake for this discussion, this is why Roon stated this Rule 1 for SQ:

Rule 1: Core and Output on separate devices

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@AudioDoctor

Impossible to read your feature request post. Text is vanishing. Can you repost ?

Has Roon moderators delete it, or you have a link ?

Edit: I see now it’s the first post in the tread you posted a link to. 

If this poll is representative, you’re among the 16% users 😀

I just want to say I appreciate people posting their experiences w/ Roon here. Thank you all! 

I am so glad I did not get into that (not really for me anyway), and especially since I work in software–I know all too well the kinds of personalities that can take over.

Good luck, all.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Chris, I appreciate you posting this so that it doesn't look like I am the sole crazy person experiencing a problem no one else is.

Here was my attempt to get help from Roon for this same issue, using the official support forum. I’m not one of those guys who likes to use unofficial channels, so I don’t. 

Roon response took 24 days. 

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-restart-casing-100-cpu-utilization/159544

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here was my attempt to get help from Roon for this same issue, using the official support forum. I’m not one of those guys who likes to use unofficial channels, so I don’t. 

It looks like Roon staff responded on June 10th but you have not responded back?

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have that exact same start up issue and my drives are inside the machine mounted as a ZFS pool.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

After nearly a month, I wasn’t willing to do the try this, try that dance. 

Well, maybe you should answer her anyway. At least you now have contact with the Roon team. 

I don’t think it looks good if you don’t reply, and maybe, just maybe, we can hope that Roon team look into this without you dancing to much 😀

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I think too many try to reduce hearing down to a single dimension - frequency response.  Hence the canard about older ears being not as adept at detecting differences.  Obviously that’s true outside our frequency range.  But for sounds still within our range, since hearing is more about ears+brain older ears can match or even outperform younger ears.

Thank you for this anecdote! Reminds me of the late Neil Peart writing about how much practice it took between shows to keep the band together live with sequenced bits coming in mid-song at the "right" tempo (lest the sound degenerate into out-of-sync rubbish). Gotta love the high standards musicians like Larry and Neil strive for.

Also, I was reading about Gordon Rankin (also a musician, and EE) recently and in an interview at Stereophile he recounted that some tubes are slow sounding and others are fast sounding. Nice to know there are people with ears that work who are building the gear(s) we use to enjoy the magic of music.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

23 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Well, maybe you should answer her anyway. At least you now have contact with the Roon team. 

I don’t think it looks good if you don’t reply, and maybe, just maybe, we can hope that Roon team look into this without you dancing to much 😀

Roon's support arrangements are a complete shitshow.  They deliberately rely on their customers doing the majority of first line support and if you ask questions their customers don't have answers to Roon either ignores them or they take months to come back.  Initially the team appeared quite a pleasant bunch, but as time has passed and their subscriber base has grown so has their indifference toward customers.  I avoid their forum now because support requests are pointless and between their fan base and their coo, I'm not sure which I find more vial and arrogant.