IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

7 hours ago, March Audio said:

The only background process that I am aware of that can eat the CPU is the audio analysis.  However you can set that to whatever level you want, from all your cores, to throttled to completely off.  After the intial scan AFAIK it only kicks off when you add new material. Cant say I have found it causing any problems here.

image.thumb.png.8b22967e316b5f9b93f2c00048c6d2aa.png

I let that run overnight when I switched to this server and it has been done for ages. The truth of oil is that Roon is doing a lot of activity in the background most of the time. I don't know why it needs to do it during music playback or why it required 145% of CPU resources during music playback. But it did and it was audible as a loss of quality in the sound.

No electron left behind.

9 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I let that run overnight when I switched to this server and it has been done for ages. The truth of oil is that Roon is doing a lot of activity in the background most of the time. I don't know why it needs to do it during music playback or why it required 145% of CPU resources during music playback. But it did and it was audible as a loss of quality in the sound.

Yes I observed that too when my new music server arrived in January.  It took at least a month for it to settle down.  It had to get through analyzing my entire music library.  I haven’t seen as much activity since but I haven’t really checked.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Every other server whether it is hardware or software, or a combination of the two, tries to minimize the processing during playback, even those that use a distributed playback model. Then comes Roon who says Fuck it, we're gonna do all the processing during playback and tell our customers/users to get lost when they ask for better sound quality and insist it's their network and/or they're not using the software correctly.

Well, the exact same hardware not running Roon doesn't exhibit that problem so... that pretty much narrows down the problem as there was only one change.

No electron left behind.

15 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I dont see my installation doing this.  It runs most of the time about 0.2% with occasional peaks to about 2 to 3%.  However our installs are different as Im not using HQ player.

Not contradicting your experience, but it may not be usual/normal operation for some unknown reason.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:33 AM, March Audio said:

The only background process that I am aware of that can eat the CPU is the audio analysis.  However you can set that to whatever level you want, from all your cores, to throttled to completely off.  After the intial scan AFAIK it only kicks off when you add new material. Cant say I have found it causing any problems here.

image.thumb.png.8b22967e316b5f9b93f2c00048c6d2aa.png

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Same here. Issues with CPU even though the library analysis has been done for months. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 7/4/2021 at 7:13 PM, AudioDoctor said:

and I regret ever giving them money for mediocre sound quality that is only improved to listenable standards by adding HQPlayer.

I no longer recommend Roon to anyone.

+1, a long time ago. Even without HQP, MPD in my Audiolinux environment is way much better. Roon is only a fantastic media library but, who cares.

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

The processing might be a function of how many network folders you have Roon watching.  

Antipodes came up with a smart approach of having only a single watched folder.  This folder is essentially a single virtual volume with network folders mounted by Linux.  Antipodes claims that this cuts down on processing.  I can’t confirm or deny, but wonder if those who see all this processing have Roon watching a number of shared folders.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 minute ago, kennyb123 said:

The processing might be a function of how many network folders you have Roon watching.  

Antipodes came up with a smart approach of having only a single watched folder.  This folder is essentially a single virtual volume with network folders mounted by Linux.  Antipodes claims that this cuts down on processing.  I can’t confirm or deny, but wonder if those who see all this processing have Roon watching a number of shared folders.

Only two here. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 3.17.47 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Only two here. 

Then maybe it’s related to library size.  There are 10x more files in just your L drive than my entire library.  Good for you but maybe bad for Roon and you.

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Thats probably a good guess however my watched folder is a single ZFS pool that's located on two mirrored 10TB drives inside the machine.

There are still things Roon is doing in the background, gathering metadata, getting data from Qobuz and Tidal, searching the net for whatever it searches for about your artists, etc... and probably stuff we don't know about as well like reporting back to Roon HQ.

No electron left behind.

7 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

This one would be way too funny and I just couldn't resist since I'm also an Asian myself, my classmates and I were constantly making fun of our teachers back in our high school days

https://www.vox.com/videos/2019/3/26/18282192/asian-accent-l-and-r

Looney Tunes FTW.

Thanks for that. I love learning about other cultures and communication etc… I think looking at ourselves with a little humility or self deprecating humor is always good. 

The people I met in Kenya swapped Ls and Rs. When they said the word roger, to communicate the previous audio transmission via CB radio was understood, it sounded like they said lawyer. We all had fun talking about it and my Minnesota accent provided plenty of fuel for our humor. 

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Same here. Issues with CPU even though the library analysis has been done for months. 

Perhaps if we compare setups we might be able to see some kind of correlation between the issue and configuration/usage?

I have a moderate number of tracks in my collection but use Qobuz mostly these days hence the locally stored collection has stopped growing.

image.thumb.png.9f30cf887d62aec775edcaa04ea6ca74.png

Roon Core runs on an AMD Ryzen 7 3800 8 core PC with 32 Gb ram and a striped 4Tb NVME array. Nvidia Quadro P400 graphics.

Using the latest Roon (updated this morning) V1.8 build 806 64bit.

I have multiple wifi connected end-points.    Core feeding an RME ADI2, laptop feeding also feeding another RME ADI2 and a NUC feeding a DAC1.  No DSP going on.

I have set them all playing and will watch the CPU/memory over several days to see what happens.

Current resources

image.thumb.png.bb4520da9eac2a959701d433fd66a0ae.png