IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

That’s a horrible prediction.  I think you’re wrong. 

Reality can be horrible. Frankly, I don't see much future to Tidal or Qobuz to be honest given Apple and Spotify. 

As a side note, I agree with Darko to hi res doesn't matter much. DEAD is a bit of a strong word, I would say more like unimportant.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

You can push the argument further and claim that CD quality is of no importance either "to the masses". I would bet that 99% of streaming services users can't tell the difference with MP3 given the equipment they are using, or simply don't care.

Even for people who care about sound quality, digital audio is often a let down. Reasonably priced audio equipment don't necessarily provide much benefit, things get really complex quickly. If you had 500$ to spend on a stereo equipment, would you really spend it on a DAC and streamer, or simply get a basic amp and a decent set of speakers to use with your phone? 

8 minutes ago, hopkins said:

You can push the argument further and claim that CD quality is of no importance either "to the masses". I would bet that 99% of streaming services users can't tell the difference with MP3 given the equipment they are using, or simply don't care. 

I think many people listening carefully would be able to tell between lossy and lossless CD quality. CD to higher is much harder.

Listening carefully is key here - most people are not really paying attention or are patient to decide. It takes more than 10 seconds of listening to assess any sound differences.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

2 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I think many people listening carefully would be able to tell between lossy and lossless CD quality. CD to higher is much harder.

Listening carefully is key here - most people are not really paying attention or are patient to decide. It takes more than 10 seconds of listening to assess any sound differences.

See the rest of my post (which I edited while you were replying). 

16 hours ago, rn701 said:

I'm thinking roon could acquire qobuz at this point.

Why?  Do you like MQA?

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I turned on Roon to listen to streaming radio through the house and I get an advertisement. I tolerate this in my email because I have a junk filter, but I didn't pay for the software to have ads pushed to the Roon interface.

edit: This offer was in my email as well.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 10.40.59 AM.png

Wow.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

36 minutes ago, Iving said:

Is that like when a person goes to see a lady with a whip?

Are we supposed to keep everything family-friendly here?

Maybe we could also talk about Business Development Sales & Marketing, I bet that delivering ads in a customer's face really DOES help a lot in terms of developing such a thriving business.

wNYq9wPl.png

0MyWc0Ul.jpg

Ripples not just here!

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/in-app-advertising-in-a-paid-product-is-unwelcome-and-inappropriate/165814

"Advertising is a very unwelcome intrusion into a product that I’m already paying money for. Thumbs-down on this new behavior; it is a violation of the vendor-customer relationship we have already established. “Everybody Does It” is not an excuse."

"I came here to say the same thing. Getting ads in Roon is really obnoxious."

Just now, Iving said:

Ripples not just here!

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/in-app-advertising-in-a-paid-product-is-unwelcome-and-inappropriate/165814

"Advertising is a very unwelcome intrusion into a product that I’m already paying money for. Thumbs-down on this new behavior; it is a violation of the vendor-customer relationship we have already established. “Everybody Does It” is not an excuse."

"I came here to say the same thing. Getting ads in Roon is really obnoxious."

I was just wondering whether or not it was worth going to take a look at their forum to see how the people there were saying it was a good thing...

No electron left behind.

10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I was just wondering whether or not it was worth going to take a look at their forum to see how the people there were saying it was a good thing...

Quoting myself here... There are actually people defending this over there and chiding the people who don't like it as, "easily offended."

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, rn701 said:

I got the email. So, they are selling a $300 to $500 NUC in a nice case for $1500 to $2500. And now they are throwing in a $43 hard drive for free. What a deal!

Well is that so unusual? there is a very long list of audiophile products in a nice case that sell for a lot more😉

10 hours ago, miguelito said:

Reality can be horrible. Frankly, I don't see much future to Tidal or Qobuz to be honest given Apple and Spotify. 

As a side note, I agree with Darko to hi res doesn't matter much. DEAD is a bit of a strong word, I would say more like unimportant.

Will you be switching to Apple Music or Spotify? Why would any of us? I see Apple and Qobuz chasing entirely different markets.

No electron left behind.

I don’t understand what the big deal about Roon pushing a advertisement during radio. I pay a monthly fee for DirectTV and get advertisement every 15 minutes. Never complain once about it!

It’s a known fact that for any business  that provides a payed service, most people who had a negative experience will tell at least five people about how bad things went down; mind you, not waiting to be asked. Most people who had a great or good experience rarely will say anything  ,why do you think that is? 
    BTW, this thread remains me that I need to get over to Roon Forum and tell them how thankful and grateful I am for there amazing product- I like everything Roon dose, not perfect nor am I.  
   Sam

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

14 hours ago, hopkins said:

Even for people who care about sound quality, digital audio is often a let down. Reasonably priced audio equipment don't necessarily provide much benefit, things get really complex quickly. If you had 500$ to spend on a stereo equipment, would you really spend it on a DAC and streamer, or simply get a basic amp and a decent set of speakers to use with your phone? 

To be honest, $500 is not enough to try and figure it out. I would prob consider a $350 headphone and a $150 dongle DAC if I really cared.

system pics

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow

It is so pathetic really, to be honest. 1TB is not only a really small amount, but to many people (most in the Roon sphere?) it is too small! So sad.

system pics