IGNORED

Members Products of the Decade

Chris has already acknowledged the Audiophile Style Products of the Decade for Hardware, Software, and Music. I believe he has judged wisely, at least on hardware and software. However the Audiophile Style Products of the Decade has been selected by Chris (if I am not mistaken) and I thought, why not ask the members of AS what products they think should be acknowledged as the Products of the Decade if they had the opportunity to decide.

There is not going to be an award as they already have been declared. This is just for fun, but also an opportunity for everybody to acknowledge audio gear that they think should be specially remembered. I have changed the categories so they are different to the Audiophile Style Products of the Decade.

Please only select one product per category.

• Value digital product of the decade
  • Value analogue product of the decade
  • High End digital product of the decade
  • High End analogue product of the decade

Value digital product of the decade – UltraRendu (streamer/endpoint)

Value analogue product of the decade – Hifiman HE6 (headphone)

High End digital product of the decade - Linn Klimax DSM (DAC +preamp)

High End analogue product of the decade - Avantgarde Acoustic Trio (Speaker)

5 minutes ago, marce said:

I presume by high end you mean something above a price point...

It’s up to you to determine which product you want to select in each category. You don't have to pick any pricey gear in the High End category if the same result can be had for much less.

Value digital: Squeezebox Touch (April 2010)

Value Analog: Etymotic er4 (though mine bit the dust)

High End stuff I do not participate...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

@mansr You've just made me think about value (and) high end. The cheapest (bookshelf) speakers I wouldn't hesitate to call high end cost about $1.5k (a high end amp could IMO cost even less) at the same time I regard my 15x more expensive floorstanders also as 'value high end'. Strange isn't it.? :)

For me the term 'high end' is connected with sound quality, not the price.

I only have a High End digital product of the decade because I don't really feel in the know enough to list the other categories.

For me, like many others, it is Roon. I wish I could be more unique and name another product but nothing has impacted nor improved my music consumption as much as Roon has.

2 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

I would nominate the LS50 wireless speakers. Value for money is off the scale as they are a complete system for not much more than the passive LS50. Combine them with subwoofers in a well treated room like I have, and they are the basis of a really quite high end full range sounding system.

As an owner of the LS50W, I can really see your point on this. I didn't list them because I've only had them for 4-5 months but they seriously having me wonder if crossovers between amps and speaker drivers is flawed on many levels.

12 minutes ago, loop7 said:

As an owner of the LS50W, I can really see your point on this. I didn't list them because I've only had them for 4-5 months but they seriously having me wonder if crossovers between amps and speaker drivers is flawed on many levels.

They’re active, but it’s more than that - they also have a built in streamer and DAC. Plus they have an option to output to subwoofers with a user controlled cross over point and level.

I use KEF R400b subwoofers which are active, but they don’t have their own DSP. I think subs like the Martin Logan Dynamo 800x with built in DSP room correction might be better if I was starting again.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

3 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

I was trying to think of anything I’ve got that would qualify as a product of the decade and you’ve just reminded me. I would nominate the LS50 wireless speakers. Value for money is off the scale as they are a complete system for not much more than the passive LS50. Combine them with subwoofers in a well treated room like I have, and they are the basis of a really quite high end full range sounding system.

Hi Richard,

I helped my nephew set up his system for his smallish townhouse and after a lot of research we selected the passive LS50s driven by a NuPrime IDA-8, that has its own internal DAC. Sounds great and the LS50 are certainly one of the best book shelf speakers I have heard. Combine that with a well implemented DAC, digital amplification and adding a pair of SUBs and it is easy to see why the wireless version it is such a revered product. I don't know what would compare with it $ vs sound quality for a small listening area except maybe a secondhand Benchmark DAC 2 into a pair of active speakers such as the ADAM A7xs.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

20 hours ago, Summit said:

Value analogue product of the decade – Hifiman HE6 (headphone)

High End analogue product of the decade - Avantgarde Acoustic Trio (Speaker)

I wouldn't say no to either of them, especially the speakers.

It interesting to look further at some of the kit mentioned, both value and high end, and the more focused views on what is best will give a better consensus of what people think really matters in modern audio, so it should be an interesting thread. That is if people participate in the spirit of the thread...

My initial vote is probably a SBT for budget digital. The rest I am still pondering.