joelha

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Sounds great I think I'll head over there. Why is it so different on astronomy forums? less room for 'subjectivity'.. ?

It's that to some degree. I joke that amateur astronomers spend most of the clear nights outside, with a telescope, getting little to no sleep. They are exhausted and have no energy to argue and fight on forums during the day :) The hobby is extremely technical and more than frequently -- humbling, so folks help each other whenever they can and rely on building a common knowledge and understanding as a community.

There are always some strong subjective opinions, and even snake oil, but these are easily found out and rarely tolerated.

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

It's that to some degree. I joke that amateur astronomers spend most of the clear nights outside, with a telescope, getting little to no sleep. They are exhausted and have no energy to argue and fight on forums during the day :) The hobby is extremely technical and more than frequently -- humbling, so folks help each other whenever they can and rely on building a common knowledge and understanding as a community.

There are always some strong subjective opinions, and even snake oil, but these are easily found out and rarely tolerated.

Thanks for the update, food for thought.. without being politically incorrect can you tell what the demographic is ? Cheers

ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power strip > EtherRegen switch powered with Ciunas Supercaps 7.5v LPS > Antipodes DXe roon core> PS Audio Directstream Junior Dac 'Windom'> Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > Omega Super Alnico Monitors. PH SR4 power supplies. In addition my reference SQ is a modified SD card Player powered by Ian Canada LifePo4/Ultracaps mod outputting 2x 3.3v > I2S module > PS Audio DAC.

9 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Thanks for the update, food for thought.. without being politically incorrect can you tell what the demographic is ? Cheers

Similar demographic to audiophiles. Maybe a bit older on average, age spans from early 20s to mid 80s. Average, without any real data to back this up, I'd say around 60. Predominantly male. World-wide.

12 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Similar demographic to audiophiles. Maybe a bit older on average, age spans from early 20s to mid 80s. Average, without any real data to back this up, I'd say around 60. Predominantly male. World-wide.

we get everywhere 😂... cheers

ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power strip > EtherRegen switch powered with Ciunas Supercaps 7.5v LPS > Antipodes DXe roon core> PS Audio Directstream Junior Dac 'Windom'> Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > Omega Super Alnico Monitors. PH SR4 power supplies. In addition my reference SQ is a modified SD card Player powered by Ian Canada LifePo4/Ultracaps mod outputting 2x 3.3v > I2S module > PS Audio DAC.

2 hours ago, ARQuint said:

I'm sure, unless the narcissist (Hi, Steve!) who started it chooses to shut it down.

Personal attacks from a high horse are still against the rules here. This is your warning. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Personal attacks from a high horse are still against the rules here. This is your warning. 

Wow, RT66indierock called Lee Scoggins a liar without so much as a peep out of you but ARQuint called RT66indierock a narcissist and here you are? Biased just a little?

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

Wow, RT66indierock called Lee Scoggins a liar without so much as a peep out of you but ARQuint called RT66indierock a narcissist and here you are? Biased just a little?

With all due respect, this sounds a little bit like the kids in my daughter’s second grade class. 

Things aren’t black and white, and people bend rules as far as possible without breaking them. I’d recommend a little less policing with a magnifying glass. 

37 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Yes I did.

Shunyata

Black Cat

Audioquest

If he shilled for the "privilege" of referring to the company principals by their first name, how would that look different to a consumer than shilling for actual money?

I got more

George Cardas

Caelin Gabriel

Chris Sommovigo

I say again, the polar opposite of consumer advocacy.

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With all due respect, this sounds a little bit like the kids in my daughter’s second grade class. 

Things aren’t black and white, and people bend rules as far as possible without breaking them. I’d recommend a little less policing with a magnifying glass. 

This is a little more black and white. HDTracks v 7digital, was filed in June of 2018 and stated their business relationship ended in April of 2018. Any statement that HDTracks MQA streaming service was coming were false after April of 2018. Therefore  Lee's statements in 2019 were lies.

Not my problem if people don't have PACER to track federal cases, I do. 

5 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

This is a little more black and white. HDTracks v 7digital, was filed in June of 2018 and stated their business relationship ended in April of 2018. Any statement that HDTracks MQA streaming service was coming were false after April of 2018. Therefore  Lee's statements in 2019 were lies.

Not my problem if people don't have PACER to track federal cases, I do. 

You're no lawyer and this is no court of law, but suggesting you know Lee was lying is a stretch. 

@joelha,

I thought of another angle you or anyone else could take when thinking about this subject riffing off your "these debates are about religion" angle.  Are you familiar with these "C O E X I S T" bumper stickers?:

image.jpeg.8a65edde9e28b1f7d92b91299691a289.jpeg

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

3 minutes ago, crenca said:

@joelha,

I thought of another angle you or anyone else could take when thinking about this subject riffing off your "these debates are about religion" angle.  Are you familiar with these "C O E X I S T" bumper stickers?:

image.jpeg.8a65edde9e28b1f7d92b91299691a289.jpeg

Where's the MQA logo one has to ask?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You're no lawyer and this is no court of law, but suggesting you know Lee was lying is a stretch. 

Chris, are you suggesting there is an actual distinction between gaslighting and lying?  Aren't they the same thing?

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Court cases are good sources of facts. Lying is simply making a false statement and Lee made a false statement about HDTracks Streaming. Pretty simple.  Lee and I talked about this at RMAF this year.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Chris, are you suggesting there is an actual distinction between gaslighting and lying?  Aren't they the same thing?

I have no idea through what lens you read my comments, but it's not rose colored. 

I suggested nothing of the sort. In this HDtracks example, if Lee had no idea the deal fell through and there was a lawsuit ongoing, the chances that he was lying are slim to none. 

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

In this HDtracks example, if Lee had no idea the deal fell through and there was a lawsuit ongoing, the chances that he was lying are slim to none.

If Lee had no idea what was going on, he's not nearly as good a friend of the Cheskys as he imagines.