IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

9 hours ago, Jud said:

I would mildly disagree here, because I believe we still don't have data of quite the quality we need, due to at least a couple of things: (1) The problem of echoic memory, where we have such a short time to recall sounds that we may miss subtleties; (2) The problem of requiring a conscious verbal response when even emotionally significant differences may register at a subconscious level; (3) The problem of having to frame a description for a difference, which may make us less likely to think we have heard one.

We are so tantalizingly close that I feel we may be quite tempted to think we've arrived.

The issue of echoic memory you have is one I don't quite understand.  Echoic memory is fleeting in a manner of seconds and some kinds of listening discrimination are better done quickly for that reason.  That hardly seems like a reason to think long term listening satisfaction is a result of things missed due to echoic memory.  I'm not following the reasoning there. 

Emotional differences at a sub-conscious level likely occur.  Is it due to the sound heard or a myriad of other reasons?  I'd place money on the other reasons being the reason.  I'd say just due to the number of other possible reasons if the gear was responsible for it it will be lost in the noise of the other reasons and could only contribute a very small portion of the emotional satisfaction or disatisfaction. 

A test of that could be done, but it is messy.  Listen to component A for a month, listen to component B for a month.  List your overall satisfaction.  Do this with a group of people, or have one person repeat it for months.  Probably need 2 years to get a useful result from the data.  We could pick components people have identified through the usual audiophile methods as being very different in satisfaction. 

As for the description, audiophiles don't seem to have a problem with some very verbose descriptions.  General blind testing helps with this as no description is needed.  Just say it is different. It can seem different due to sound or a feeling doesn't matter simply choose. You don't have to frame it for that kind of testing. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

"Good Sound" is more likely with good Scotch, and the state store had a very rare sale today.

Therefore...

Whatever turns you on man....

I have no basis to ever criticize how you approach getting to the place where you wanna be enjoying the music that you (hopefully) love.

But twin bits of sarcasm aside, - I am truly sad that (on the basis of your posts) you neither seem to like your system, or the act of listening to music. So much so that you feel the need to come onto an audiophile website and attack both designers/manufacturers and the people who appreciate their equipment's performance without evidence, research, or experience: (in both subjective and objective realms).

1 hour ago, Jud said:

And regardless of Archimago's real name

What if that’s his real name and everyone has been searching for what’s right in front of them this whole time 😁

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Maybe it is. But that doesn't mean I should go around telling little kids that he doesn't.

There's a time and a place for everything.

I am not a radical objectivist, but I also think some of the radical subjectivist threads here are a little nuts. So I just ignore them and let the people who enjoy them have their fun - even if, IMHO, they are a bit wacko. What I think doesn't always matter. 

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

Based on the history of your posts, - you're not really interested in the answer to the question.

There's never been a Meitner or SOTA Meitner level component on that bench.

His MOAR system is not a good analysis tool for tube amplification.

Comparing multi-function computers to single purpose linux boxes in only one context.

No tool to measure low levels of resistance.

I could go on, - but I'm saying nothing new. And the above have all been said before, and much more, by people whom you'd respect  more than myself.

Thanks for responding. I'm still not seeing any specific examples of inconclusive conclusions that he's reached. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

A nice little, 'subjective', method of picking "Good Sound" - anyone vocalising, on any sort of recording, from opera to the crappiest rock thrash - sounds like a real person. That means, it doesn't sound like a PA interpretation, or a caricature of the human voice - you get a very powerful sense of it being a human being creating those sounds - it's a "direct link" to that person.

Which means that if it goes through some effects box that removes too much detail, the humanness switches off - older pop recordings can show this up quite dramatically; it's almost a shock when the effect "destroys" the person.

53 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

And FD, I feel that you and a few others just don't understand what's at stake here. It seems so obvious to me. For the umpteenth time, my concern isn't who is right or wrong on the MQA question, but rather, the way we talk to each other about it. I assure you: I read every word of Archimago's analysis and was impressed; I'm no happier to see his abilities called into question than the integrity and competence of those in the pro-MQA camp—for example, people like my dear friend Peter McGrath.

I'd been reading Audiophile Style without posting—"lurking"—for months before Joel's editorial was published two days ago. I'm being genuine when I say that I'm tremendously impressed with Chris's decision to present it as he did, in a way that acknowledged the vital importance of the issue of civility. There's been an explosive response, mostly from two constituencies. The first is a large group of members that's as concerned as the OP about the manner in which a vocal minority attack those with different opinions than their own. The second are representatives of that minority who recognize themselves in Joel's essay and don't like the characterization. I can detect, from some of them, annoyance and even frank anger with The Computer Audiophile for publishing the editorial, viewing it as a kind a slap in the face.

I suppose it is. But it's a subject that needs addressing and that outpouring of reaction—more than 500 postings in two days!—is very telling. I'll try returning to lurking status and observe what I hope will be the growth of a corrective force.

Andrew Quint

Senior Writer

The Absolute Sound

Yes indeed.  The world would be so much more civilized if everyone just agreed with you.  You are, after all,  the Senior Writer for The Absolute Sound.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

42 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

For my part, I know that Chris abhors what he perceives as lack of civility here.  And I'll be the first to admit that getting to the heart of a particular matter without the requisite "social lubricant" can be antagonizing to some.  But I support Chris in the strongest possible terms.  He is the reason, to put it succinctly, that the MQA lie has been exposed.  And we ALL owe him a big debt of gratitude for that.  He has told us that owning the forum that contains the thread "MQA is Vaporware" has been at times very difficult.  If you're trying to drive a wedge between us, you'll have to do much better than this novice-level trolling.

Yes. Thanks for recognizing that I abhor the lack of civility. I really do and I'm very tempted to moderate much more heavily. That's not a threat, just me being honest about something that causes me serious pain and a possible remedy for it.

There are only a few people on the site who think civility be damned and winning at almost any cost is OK. 

In terms of the MQA issue, I am thankful to those who convinced me it was a scam. However, I know for a fact that I would've been convinced much sooner if the discussion was civil. Incivility causes almost everyone to raise defenses and seem additional ammunition. When attacked I sought more information from BS, which only amplified the ensuing incivility. 

I didn't do much to debunk MQA, other than host the largest collection of information about it, and receive the industry repercussions. Everyone else did all the work. I can't take any credit.

1 hour ago, ARQuint said:

And FD, I feel that you and a few others just don't understand what's at stake here. It seems so obvious to me. For the umpteenth time, my concern isn't who is right or wrong on the MQA question, but rather, the way we talk to each other about it. I assure you: I read every word of Archimago's analysis and was impressed; I'm no happier to see his abilities called into question than the integrity and competence of those in the pro-MQA camp—for example, people like my dear friend Peter McGrath.

I'd been reading Audiophile Style without posting—"lurking"—for months before Joel's editorial was published two days ago. I'm being genuine when I say that I'm tremendously impressed with Chris's decision to present it as he did, in a way that acknowledged the vital importance of the issue of civility. There's been an explosive response, mostly from two constituencies. The first is a large group of members that's as concerned as the OP about the manner in which a vocal minority attack those with different opinions than their own. The second are representatives of that minority who recognize themselves in Joel's essay and don't like the characterization. I can detect, from some of them, annoyance and even frank anger with The Computer Audiophile for publishing the editorial, viewing it as a kind a slap in the face.

I suppose it is. But it's a subject that needs addressing and that outpouring of reaction—more than 500 postings in two days!—is very telling. I'll try returning to lurking status and observe what I hope will be the growth of a corrective force.

Andrew Quint

Senior Writer

The Absolute Sound

Hi Andy - I'm with you in urging civility by everyone. We get to answers / conclusions much quicker this way. We can also enjoy an intellectual back and forth, as I did with the OP over breakfast at RMAF. That's mentally stimulating and enjoyable. Lack of civility is unenjoyable and should be used in cases where a Government must be overthrown, not on a hobbyist forum where most of the people are enjoying themselves.

54 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

This entire thread could have concluded 20 or so pages ago had those called out for bad behavior simply said “We object to parts of that article but we get why our pressing for objective results may be not by be welcome by some subjectivists, While we don’t agree with many of the points made, we understand that the goal of the article was to try to make this a better place for everyone. So in that spirt, we’ll take seriously all the feedback provided and try to do better”.  

Had any of you on the objectivists side done this, the debate would have been over and you would have won - because you would have demonstrated by your actions that the stereotype presented in the article couldn’t have been more wrong.  Probably a better strategy for winning the debate then repeatedly reinforcing the stereotype over these 20 or so pages, don’t you think?  🤔

OMG. Reading your text that I've bolded made me feel so at ease. What a world we'd have here on AS if people were that civil. It would be a paradise where we could leave our doors unlocked and our windows open. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png