IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

8 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I recall another member saying he tried 2, and gave an increase in SQ, but then tried 1 with Sean Jacobs LPS, and didn't notice any difference with the 2nd one. So, I suspect it's down to the quality of the LPS. 

Well, I may test this hypothesis soon.  This is my first anniversary with the eR.  What better way to celebrate than getting a companion for the little guy?  

And ordering should be significantly easier than last time, when you either hit the right keys in the first three minutes or waited for the next batch.  Still doing fingertip pushups, L-sits and wind sprints with a 60 lb weight vest, but that won't be needed this time, hopefully.  :P

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I've finally implemented OM3 optical connection between my cisco2960 and the Etherregen.

Wow fantastic improvement,  bass even more solid crisper treble better tonal accuracy. Just listened to Dylan, rough and rowdy ways I can hear the differences in gravel in his voice super clearly. 

These are the units I bought 2nd hand on eBay

Cisco GLC-SX-MM 30-1301-02 1000Base-SX SFP

Using 1m of OM3 patch cable.

Total cost to me for 2 sfp and the patch cable £11. Best bang for the buck ever.... I suspect I may be able to hear differences in the Etherregen to TDAI cables now , will swap between my AQ vodka and chord C stream and report back later. 

16 minutes ago, Discopants said:

I've finally implemented OM3 optical connection between my cisco2960 and the Etherregen.

Wow fantastic improvement,  bass even more solid crisper treble better tonal accuracy. Just listened to Dylan, rough and rowdy ways I can hear the differences in gravel in his voice super clearly. 

Total cost to me for 2 sfp and the patch cable £11. Best bang for the buck ever.... I suspect I may be able to hear differences in the Etherregen to TDAI cables now , will swap between my AQ vodka and chord C stream and report back later. 

Is this your first use of optical or did you upgrade a previous SFP?  I know that some have suggested that changing SFP’s, modes, and OM patch cables causes changes in SQ.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Hi , I'm French .

I have been waiting for my next Etherregen ordered for almost 1 month. The wait is long.
I have owned a JS-2 Linear Power Supply for a year
I have 3 questions :
1- What is the voltage setting of the JS2: 7, 9 or 12 volts? thank you. Is there a "risk" if I climb too high?

2 - For the grounded cord, we plug it into etherregen but at the other end, we plug it into which product? A bluray player with a screw for example?
3 - For SFP modules, should I take a "generic"? is there a recommended model?

https://www.fs.com/fr/products/75326.html   ?

with 

https://www.fs.com/fr/products/68296.html

with 

https://www.fs.com/fr/products/17237.html

merci

merci

4 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

Hi , I'm French .

I have been waiting for my next Etherregen ordered for almost 1 month. The wait is long.
I have owned a JS-2 Linear Power Supply for a year
I have 3 questions :
1- What is the voltage setting of the JS2: 7, 9 or 12 volts? thank you. Is there a "risk" if I climb too high?

2 - For the grounded cord, we plug it into etherregen but at the other end, we plug it into which product? A bluray player with a screw for example?
3 - For SFP modules, should I take a "generic"? is there a recommended model?

https://www.fs.com/fr/products/75326.html   ?

with 

https://www.fs.com/fr/products/68296.html

with 

https://www.fs.com/fr/products/17237.html

merci

merci

Voltages: People here have tried all three voltages, As long as you stick to the range of 7 to 12 volts there is no "risk" that you will damage the EtherREGEN. It is just a matter of sound preference if you can detect a change based on feed voltage. I, for example, settled on 9 volts. I haven't tried a different voltage since setting it months ago because I am happy. Some people report a lot of heat with the 12 volt setting but when complaints emerge of this nature, the guys at UA reassure the community that the components are only operating at approx 50% of their temperature tolerances so no damage will be done from heat.

As for fibre-optic cables, make sure you have cables with end-fittings that match the expected SFP transceiver endings. A very common connection is LC-LC meaning locking connection (I think). So for example, if you have LC-LC cable, your chosen transceiver should have LC-LC fittings on it.

Some people have said that they prefer single-mode cable, make sure if you select that type of cable that you select two single-mode transceivers. Likewise, I chose Multi-mode cable so I use Multi-mode transceivers.

Since the EtherREGEN does not restrict SFP transceiver brands or models, I would just get a module to match your transmission side (fibre-port on your switch may be restricted to a particular model of SFP transceiver according to the brand of the switch).

If you are going to need to convert electrical Ethernet to optical Ethernet and back to electrical Ethernet just to go to the EtherREGEN, I would reconsider that move unless you have a 10-30 metre distance to between your audio equipment. 

I hope this helps and warm regards

GG

8 hours ago, Discopants said:

Which cisco2960 did you use? There are many.

2 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

Voltages: People here have tried all three voltages, As long as you stick to the range of 7 to 12 volts there is no "risk" that you will damage the EtherREGEN. It is just a matter of sound preference if you can detect a change based on feed voltage. I, for example, settled on 9 volts. I haven't tried a different voltage since setting it months ago because I am happy. Some people report a lot of heat with the 12 volt setting but when complaints emerge of this nature, the guys at UA reassure the community that the components are only operating at approx 50% of their temperature tolerances so no damage will be done from heat.

As for fibre-optic cables, make sure you have cables with end-fittings that match the expected SFP transceiver endings. A very common connection is LC-LC meaning locking connection (I think). So for example, if you have LC-LC cable, your chosen transceiver should have LC-LC fittings on it.

Some people have said that they prefer single-mode cable, make sure if you select that type of cable that you select two single-mode transceivers. Likewise, I chose Multi-mode cable so I use Multi-mode transceivers.

Since the EtherREGEN does not restrict SFP transceiver brands or models, I would just get a module to match your transmission side (fibre-port on your switch may be restricted to a particular model of SFP transceiver according to the brand of the switch).

If you are going to need to convert electrical Ethernet to optical Ethernet and back to electrical Ethernet just to go to the EtherREGEN, I would reconsider that move unless you have a 10-30 metre distance to between your audio equipment. 

GG

At the end, you say "just go to ER." Just to clarify, you are saying to remove the optical fiber unless you have a very long distance for the cable.Correct?

5 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

GG

Your answer is clear and precise. It helps me.

merci :)

22 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I personally found the MeiCord was a step up from Supra. 

I went from Supra, then Meicord to Sablon (my last Ethernet cable I’ll purchase) 

All cables are fine, but stick to your budget and foremost: view the videos on the well known Audioholics site first, because a lot of what we think we hear is between our ears.

Been messing since January with the EtherREGEN, network configurations,  Edgerouter X SFP, fibre, Ethernet cables and LPS.

I think I’m settling on a network set up similar to that posted by Nenon

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/page/36/

I’m now using the EtherREGEN upstream of the Edgerouter, connecting the two with fibre and running the WiFi access point into the EtherREGEN side B. Edgerouter to audio endpoint. Farad / DC3 on modem/router. In this configuration I found the EtherREGEN doesn’t benefit much at all from LPS, and fibre sounds better than it did when the EtherREGEN was downstream of the router (I didn’t like it there, sounded unnatural). LPS on modem / router make a big difference.

21 hours ago, chungjh said:

At the end, you say "just go to ER." Just to clarify, you are saying to remove the optical fiber unless you have a very long distance for the cable.Correct?

Oops, you've misquoted me. 😆 

The point of that paragraph was to imply that if you have only a typical 5 or so metre (yards for USA) distance for the Ethernet signal to travel and your switch or home WiFi router does not already have an optical connection, I would start by using electrical Ethernet cables (CAT 6, 7 etc) first before going to the expense of double converting the electrical signal (from electrical to optical and back to electrical).

There are rarely right or wrong answers to how we run our lives. Just like if you are hell-bent on running fibre for 3 or 5 metre distance, you can do that. After all, this hobby is for fun and if your definition of fun is converting signals from one medium to another and listening to the effects, go for it!

My response was to a forum member who was wanting some advice on optical transmission with respect to the EtherREGEN. That advice was to give him a starting point which is what he seemed to be asking. I was not professing to provide general advice to a more experienced audience.

Regards

GG

My setup: ISP router ->opticalModule -> EtherREGEN ->streamer/bridge -> DAC

I now have my Roon Server connected to EtherREGEN A-side. Has anyone tested a comparable setup vs. placing the Roon Server (mac mini, nucleus etc.) upstream the opticalModule. So, a very electrically clean use of the EtherREGEN with only fiber in on the A-side but as a sacrifice the server in the more noisy environment of a generic router or switch. What sounded best?

I know it is best to experiment with this myself but a fair A/B would be quite a hassle because of a joint LPS use in my setup at the moment.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have the EtherRegen and upstream router and one circuit and the downstream UltraRendu and DAC on another circuit on a balanced power transformer.

If I were to go from the upstream router via an optical connection into the etherRegen, could this change which circuit the EtherRegen should be placed on? With an optical input, could it be better moving the EtherRegen to the same circuit as UltraRendu and DAC?

Also, whilst optical is an electrical disconnection from upstream, the optical transceivers must generate noise/RFI of their own, so should the EtherRegen be treated differently when using the optical input?  Greater distancing from other components? Different grounding strategy?

Any suggestions, advice or experiences appreciated.

11 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

With the A side connection via optical there is no inherent reason why either power connection should make a difference.  IF it is easy to do so I would still keep the ER on a different circuit than the uR or DAC, just in case there is some small interaction between power supplies. The ER power supply connects to the A side so it seems to make sense to keep it on the same circuit as what is driving it IF it is easy to do so.

If you want to put what is driving the A side 200 feet away and have the ER next to the uR, then go ahead and power the ER from the same circuit. But if you have both circuits near where you want to put the ER, then go ahead and put the ER on the the circuit not powering the uR.

Thanks for this. So despite the optical connection being on the same physical side as the B-Side output, it is electrically actually on the A-Side also? So if I use optical in, I keep my Ethernet output plugged into the B-side? (sorry if this was in the manual)

Having received my ER yesterday, I left it running overnight.
This morning I find it "very hot". It is quite confusing.

The ER is placed in an open place, alone.

I think I read that this hot thing is normal, but I didn't think it was so hot. By comparison, my Switch Sotm is cold.
Can we reassure him on this point? . The case is the heat-sink?

It is therefore advisable to always leave on