IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

8 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Thanks for this. So despite the optical connection being on the same physical side as the B-Side output, it is electrically actually on the A-Side also? So if I use optical in, I keep my Ethernet output plugged into the B-side? (sorry if this was in the manual)

So SFP port IS on A-Side physically AND electrically as well.

6 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

So SFP port IS on A-Side physically AND electrically as well.

Yes. The power in is on the A-side so to say and powers the stuff inside that is connected to the 4 RJ45 and SFP port then there is a DC-DC converter with low capacitance that supplyes the B-side with power so the B-side is isolated both on the data and power from the 5 connections on the A-side.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
2 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

Having received my ER yesterday, I left it running overnight.
This morning I find it "very hot". It is quite confusing.

The ER is placed in an open place, alone.

I think I read that this hot thing is normal, but I didn't think it was so hot. By comparison, my Switch Sotm is cold.
Can we reassure him on this point? . The case is the heat-sink?

It is therefore advisable to always leave on

Yes it's fine! They're countless posts about this. Mine is very hot also. Never had any issues. 

Forgot to mention to keep it on all the time.  Starting and stopping does not give you the best sound (and I'm not sure what the constant powering would do, if anything, to the clock).

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

6 hours ago, chungjh said:

I put a heat sink on top of ER and it brought down the temperature significantly--down to just warm.

The ER was designed to run in the range 40C - 60C, so if you have cooled it off so the case is below 40C you will most likely not be getting the best sound it is capable of giving you.

John S.

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The ER was designed to run in the range 40C - 60C, so if you have cooled it off so the case is below 40C you will most likely not be getting the best sound it is capable of giving you.

John S.

Oh gosh. I did the same. I wasn’t aware of that possibility, but so far I didn’t experience any drop on the fantastic SQ from the eR. Lucky I’ll be moving to a tropical country next year. Seriously 👍

Kind  regards,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Some people use heatsinks and some use fans. I'm using a fan and the case is now just warm rather than hot and I have not noticed a decline in SQ. I actually put a fan on my stereo amp too and it now runs much cooler but I did not notice any change in SQ either. John, thanks for sharing with us.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a 3m cable and single mode SFP transceivers to optically connect a Sonore opticalModule to the etherRegen.

The SFP are the single mode PlanetTech (20KM range), no attenuators. All devices have quality linear power supplies.

All functions fine and I have had it running for a week now.

Only issue is that this optical connection sounds worse than a CAT6a ethernet connection from the same router. Slightly pushed, unnatural high frequencies. I've swapped back and forth a few times and optical in my system is consistently worse.

I know others have tried this exact setup without any issues, with a noticeable improvement over wired ethernet.

Has anyone else experienced this? or have suggestion to what is wrong and how this could be fixed?

The only thing I can think of is that I need to add attenuators to the cable, maybe 5db to 10db. however multiple others have found that this is not an issue with the PlanetTechs.

I am at my wits end! Help me brains-trust!

25 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

I have received a 3m cable and single mode SFP transceivers to optically connect a Sonore opticalModule to the etherRegen.

The SFP are the single mode PlanetTech (20KM range), no attenuators. All devices have quality linear power supplies.

All functions fine and I have had it running for a week now.

Only issue is that this optical connection sounds worse than a CAT6a ethernet connection from the same router. Slightly pushed, unnatural high frequencies. I've swapped back and forth a few times and optical in my system is consistently worse.

I know others have tried this exact setup without any issues, with a noticeable improvement over wired ethernet.

Has anyone else experienced this? or have suggestion to what is wrong and how this could be fixed?

The only thing I can think of is that I need to add attenuators to the cable, maybe 5db to 10db. however multiple others have found that this is not an issue with the PlanetTechs.

I am at my wits end! Help me brains-trust!

I have 10m single mode combined with (I believe) the same Planet SFP's without attenuators and absolutely prefer this to copper.  I cannot imagine that 3m vs. 10m makes a difference. Which optical cable do you use? I use this (OS2) one: https://www.conrad.nl/p/telegartner-l00875a0034-glasvezel-aansluitkabel-1x-lc-stekker-1x-lc-stekker-9125-singlemode-os2-1000-m-1542091

Edit: the opticalModule needs some time to burn-in so this could also be a reason.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

4 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

I have 10m single mode combined with (I believe) the same Planet SFP's without attenuators and absolutely prefer this to copper.  I cannot imagine that 3m vs. 10m makes a difference. Which optical cable do you use? I use this (OS2) one: https://www.conrad.nl/p/telegartner-l00875a0034-glasvezel-aansluitkabel-1x-lc-stekker-1x-lc-stekker-9125-singlemode-os2-1000-m-1542091

I am using this cable 3m,

https://www.fs.com/au/products/68296.html

6 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

the opticalModule needs some time to burn-in so this could also be a reason.

Agree.  Give it another week so that you know this isn't a variable.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

38 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

Do you have separate LPS for oM and eR?  If not, have you tried grounding the eR?

9 minutes ago, PYP said:

Agree.  Give it another week so that you know this isn't a variable.  

I actually had the opticalModule plugged in and turned on (but without the SFP) for a week prior to this week with the SFP and cable.

Separate power supply for opticalModule (2.2A CIAudio supply) and the etherRegen (Farad3, 7V). Farad is apparently grounded but with a resistor to ground (to attenuate high frequency ground loops?).

4 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

I actually had the opticalModule plugged in and turned on (but without the SFP) for a week prior to this week with the SFP and cable.

Separate power supply for opticalModule (2.2A CIAudio supply) and the etherRegen (Farad3, 7V). Farad is apparently grounded but with a resistor to ground (to attenuate high frequency ground loops?).

And the eR itself is grounded?  If not, that is easy to try.  Unfortunately, I have no experience with your type of fiber (single mode) or SFP, so cannot help.  @kennyb123 has tried several fiber/SFP options, so perhaps he can help. 

8 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

The SFP are the single mode PlanetTech (20KM range), no attenuators.

The length of the fiber optic cable can make all the difference. If the cable is too short, the receiver may be dazzled. If the cables are too long, the signals may be weak. Twists or kinks increase the attenuation and weaken the laser beam.

You have a transceiver with 20km! Range. I recommend using a longer cable (20m) so that higher attenuation is achieved.

1 hour ago, Heckyman said:

I didn't try your exact set up, but I did have a try with fibre and didn't like it. 

The fibre was between Edgerouter-x SFP and Etherregen (Ubiquiti SFPs).

Perhaps the background was "blacker" and my initial impression was quite good. But over a period of days I noted less engagement with the music. There was a kind of mechanical quality whereas returning to copper felt more natural and alive even if there might have been a touch more "noise". 

Normally I have a small go with something and if the improvement is in the right direction I optimise further. Regarding fibre networking, I decided not to pursue it further as it struck me as something that cuts both ways (i.e benefits of opto-isolation vs drawbacks of extra conversion/processing). 

In summary, trust your own ears in your own system!

My experience is quite the opposite but only after adding a Sonore opticalModule. My guess is that your Edgerouter is a weak link when going fiber for audio.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

5 hours ago, skatbelt said:

My experience is quite the opposite but only after adding a Sonore opticalModule. My guess is that your Edgerouter is a weak link when going fiber for audio.

The opticalModule offered a marked improvement over using a Startech FMC in terms of naturalness.  I agree with your suggestion that the Edgerouter might be the culprit.  The SFPs can also impact this too - maybe even more so.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

My experience was just like Heckyman but with the opticalModule and PlanetTech SFP. Definitely some positives in the mid range and with spatiality which at first seemed alluring but the slight harsh treble outweighed that after a week. 

Next steps, burn the SFP in for another week, get some attenuators to lower the receive strength to be closer to the midrange of receive sensitivity.

I do wonder if the RFI generated by those SFP we let into the walled garden in order to keep electrical noise out, is actually worse for some systems, than the electrical noise kept out. Especially higher-energy single mode long-range SFP...

Swapped them around again last night, optical harsh and edgy in the highs, CAT6 more organic and natural.

Thanks for your suggestions people, keep them coming, really want to get to the bottom of this.

1 hour ago, HumanMedia said:

I do wonder if the RFI generated by those SFP we let into the walled garden in order to keep electrical noise out, is actually worse for some systems, than the electrical noise kept out. Especially higher-energy single mode long-range SFP...

In the EtherRegen white paper, John had discussed "threshold jitter".  I wonder if noise on the ground plane might impact SFP performance on consumer FMCs, where as the opticalModule (and ER) are designed to handle this correctly.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256