IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

2 hours ago, fuzzypoodle said:

HI there,

I welcome any opinions/suggestions around SQ improvements with the tweak I am about embark on ... T

Are you using the stock power supplies for your Chord devices?  I ask only because if the answer is yes that would be what I'd look at ahead of that additional switch.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

6 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Are you using the stock power supplies for your Chord devices?  I ask only because if the answer is yes that would be what I'd look at ahead of that additional switch.

I agree with @kennyb123 re: power supplies for Chord gear.

And you could use a more basic FMC instead of the SoTM switch to manage budget and still add the FO break early in your signal flow. You'd need the FO cable and SFPs anyway, so that's a wash. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

Until yesterday my EtherREGEN drew its power through a Y-cable attached to one of Uptone JS-2 DC outputs, and sharing 12V with a WD NAS-disk. The other JS-2 DC output was dedicated to MMK-modified Mac Mini (+sense option).

Yesterday I received a new set of Ghent JSSG360 DC cables. This time I reserved a dedicated 12V output to EtherREGEN, and split 12V between Mac Mini and NAS-disk with the new Y-cable. A dedicated JS-2 12V output to EtherREGEN resulted in a profound lift in sound quality! Any trace of "digital glare" is gone, I experience more openness and clarity in upper frequencies and female voices are presented exceptional clear and without annoying sibilance. Bass and lower midrange is tighter and more powerful.

Anyone having the same experience?

My SetUp 2020-v11.pdf

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

14 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Until yesterday my EtherREGEN drew its power through a Y-cable attached to one of Uptone JS-2 DC outputs, and sharing 12V with a WD NAS-disk. The other JS-2 DC output was dedicated to MMK-modified Mac Mini (+sense option).

Great drawing. Tells us so much more. 

How about remove the isoRegen, and use that spare LPS 1.2 to power the EtherRegen as a test ?

Then your have total isolation.

You may also play with adding MAC and/or NAS directly to the EtherRegen. 
Your setup seems to give some options to play with, unless distance is an issue.

9 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Great drawing. Tells us so much more. 

How about remove the isoRegen, and use that spare LPS 1.2 to power the EtherRegen as a test ?

Then your have total isolation.

You may also play with adding MAC and/or NAS directly to the EtherRegen. 
Your setup seems to give some options to play with, unless distance is an issue.

Hi R1200CL,
Thanks for your comments. I wrote you some thoughts in a Message, please check.. 😀

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

1 hour ago, esmit said:

In my experience/case removing the isoregen between ultrarendu and (Hugo TT) DAC gave slightly better results, so do share your thoughts :-)

Hi esmit,
my network is set up in the following order: Modem (internet) > Ubiquiti X-router > Cisco 2960 switch (SFP) > EtherREGEN A-side (SFP) > EtherREGEN B-side > UltraRendu > IsoREGEN > Denafrips DAC.
Internet from modem via Ubiquiti X-router, Mac Mini (Audirvana) and NAS-disk has RJ45 connection to Cisco switch. EtherREGEN A-side being fed with a single optical connection from Cisco SFP-port.

My SetUp 2020-v12.pdf

6 minutes ago, TwinPeak said:

Hi R1200CL and esmit,

I tried without the IsoREGEN (between UltraRendu and Denafrips DAC), but to my ears it sounds better with the IsoREGEN. More air and space round voices and instruments, and better depth perspective. What might be able to substitute the IsoREGEN would be a Denafrips DDC using I2S, I think...

And at the same time power EtherRegen with LPS-1.2 ?

(In order to be sure you have isolation). 

31 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

And at the same time power EtherRegen with LPS-1.2 ?

(In order to be sure you have isolation). 

I use a dedicated DC 12V output from Uptone JS-2 to EtherREGEN. Do you think using LPS-1.2 would give better galvanic isolation than the JS-2?

36 minutes ago, TwinPeak said:

I use a dedicated DC 12V output from Uptone JS-2 to EtherREGEN. Do you think using LPS-1.2 would give better galvanic isolation than the JS-2?

My understanding is that you don’t have a total isolation with the JS-2. At least not equal to the LPS-1.2. 
There are several posts on the subject. I may not be 100% correct. 
However the moat on EtherRegen should cover you, so you’ll probably not notice any difference. 

I have a friend using microRendu. He also prefers the ISOregen in the chain. 

20 minutes ago, soares said:

Same findings here.

My setup:
Router>Rj45>oM>SFP>
Buffalo2016>SFP>oM>Rj45>Zen Mkiii>Rj45>eR>
SFP>oR>USB>RUR>
USB>iR>USB>
DAC.

What surprised me after so many efforts to clean the signal, is that the RUR still  managed to improve a little bit the final SQ. It was forgotten in a box for a couple of year and I decided to give it a try. This is of course consistent with some reports cascading 2 isoRegens. By the way the iR sounds quite better than the RUR. Also while the use of the oR instead of the uR improved SQ  the “wow”factor just came after connecting to it the eR. 
Cheers, Jorge

Thanks for sharing Soares!
What is RUR? And I dont see OpticalRendu (oR) in your setup layout.

What convinced me to stay with my current setup is by playing the "Nama" album (24/176.4) with the Puente Celeste ensemble (2010). Its an Argentina-based recording with absolute minimal use of mixing and mastering tweaks and compression - only microphones and artists and recorded at MA-studios with original 5.6 MHz (DSD) pure sterophonic, one bit recording.

EtherREGEN powered by JS-2, Cisco 2960 SFP (optical) transporting the signals and IsoREGEN in front of the Denafrips DAC has completely transformed the magic in my listening room. And of course also use of Sablon USB & URL cables, Ghent JSSG360 DC cables + my 25-35 years old analog components...

Greetings and wishes of a merry Christmas 😇

4 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

What convinced me to stay with my current setup is by playing the "Nama" album (24/176.4) with the Puente Celeste ensemble (2010). Its an Argentina-based recording with absolute minimal use of mixing and mastering tweaks and compression - only microphones and artists and recorded at MA-studios with original 5.6 MHz (DSD) pure sterophonic, one bit recording.

EtherREGEN powered by JS-2, Cisco 2960 SFP (optical) transporting the signals and IsoREGEN in front of the Denafrips DAC has completely transformed the magic in my listening room. And of course also use of Sablon USB & URL cables, Ghent JSSG360 DC cables + my 25-35 years old analog components...

Yes, I’m an isoRegen stayer!

Re the use of the js-2 on both macmini & etherRegen - back somewhere is advice from Superdad that isolation is maintained in my case by flipping the etherRegen around, ie modem ethernet into B-side & then A-side thru to dac etc.

I powered both the ER & dac with the 2 js-2 dc outputs (& I used 2x lps1.2s to power uRendu & isoRegen) - I assume this logic applies to your situation ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

9 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Thanks for your input also. RUR = W4S Recovery Reclocker. I put it aside when I bought the iR. Concerning the oR please disregard my signature. I still need to upgrade it. On my earlier post you will see that the oR comes after the eR (fiber) before the RUR and the iR. The differences are substantial when you change the oM for  the eR before the oR. 
Merry Christmas 🤗

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

4 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Re the use of the js-2 on both macmini & etherRegen - back somewhere is advice from Superdad that isolation is maintained in my case by flipping the etherRegen around, ie modem ethernet into B-side & then A-side thru to dac etc.

I powered both the ER & dac with the 2 js-2 dc outputs (& I used 2x lps1.2s to power uRendu & isoRegen) - I assume this logic applies to your situation ...

The JS-2 is isolated from the safety ground BUT the two outputs share their negative rails. The power to the ER goes into the A side. Thus powering the ER and the DAC from the same JS-2 is defeating the moat of the ER but also the moat of the IsoRegen.

John S.

12 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Hi Jamesg11,

Yes, but not quite.
• 2 x LPS-1.2 to UltraRendu and IsoREGEN
• Internet (modem), Mac Mini, NAS-disk through Cisco 2960 switch

• Cisco switch SFP (optical) out to EtherREGEN SFP A-side
• EtherREGEN B-side to UltraRendu
• JS-2 (1) to EtherREGEN, JS-2 (2) Y-DC to Mac Mini + NAS

So I guess my JS-2 (and EtherREGEN) connections maintain isolation 😇

19 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The JS-2 is isolated from the safety ground BUT the two outputs share their negative rails. The power to the ER goes into the A side. Thus powering the ER and the DAC from the same JS-2 is defeating the moat of the ER but also the moat of the IsoRegen.

John S.

Hi John,

Alex’s comment referred to above was Aug 31 - this is what I then implemented.

If your usage of the EtherREGEN has only one (network feed) connection on the 'A' side, then there is a trick you can use which will allow use of the JS-2 for both the EtherREGEN and endpoint while preserving the full isolation.  "Turn around" the EtherREGEN, running your network feed into the 'B' port, and your endpoint from one of the 'A' ports.  This works great for two reasons:

1) We went to extra trouble and expense to make the EtherREGEN symmetrical about its moat (i.e. differential clocking and reclocking and all super voltage regulation is the same both sides) just so that B>A performance would be equal to A>B. Main reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu), but there are other uses for B>A connection, such as multiple endpoints or issues of power supply.

2) DC power to the EtherREGEN is to its 'A' side (yes, power makes its way to the 'B' side, but via expensive isolating converters across the moat), so having the endpoint attached to an 'A' port makes it not matter that both the EtherREGEN and the endpoint are sharing a power supply (JS-2) whose two DC outputs share a common -VE/zero-volt "ground."

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

9 hours ago, fuzzypoodle said:

Can you please suggest the optimal application of Uptone power supplies to the following gear:

Not John, but since only Uptone was the requirement, I suggest LPS-1.2 for everything below one ampere. JS-2 for rest. 😀

Very nice digital chain.