IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

@pokey77 RE the AC iPurifier No idea about your power topography, but I found it best to try in different places. All of my network gear and opticalModules, NUC etc are in my server closet which is also the same circuit as all of my photo computer gear, so that circuit actually had the most impact in comparison to the upstairs analog gear. o perhaps get another or two and spread around. It can also make subtle differences where plugged in if using a power strip. Way OT here, so will leave it at that. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 10/5/2020 at 5:40 PM, charlesphoto said:

Perhaps, but on low they are inaudibly quiet and have rubber(?) bumpers for feet and vibrationless as far as I can tell. These aren't Walmart builds. I'm sure you could isolate it even more with Herbie's etc material if so inclined, but best to make sure your components are first. I had an LPS 1.2 go on me this summer and my feeling is it may have been heat related (under warranty and repaired but no info on what was wrong) so got some of these fans after that. I have them both with the hifi upstairs and downstairs in the server closet. The one upstairs is powered by a wall wart (different circuit from the hifi) and downstairs via USB off the Roon NUC. 

You know it you really want to take these things to the limit, one could submerge the etherRegen in mineral oil. Perfect cooling and vibration removal. And no RFI/EMI. 

Add the power supply as well. 

Actually I’m surprised it hasn’t been tested out yet, at least with low power audiophile computers.

13 hours ago, ray-dude said:

When I had my ER, I had it on a vibration isolation scheme very much like John's and it worked great for me.  In general, I find this scheme extremely impactful for digital electronics, DACs, and power supplies.

In my case, I ended up having a whole bunch of aluminum bowls machined in various geometries, and I experimented with lots of different polishing techniques and precision bearings.  In general, if you set the plate oscillating, the longer it oscillates the bigger the impact (direct correlation to SQ).  Makes mechanically optimizing things much more straight forward.  To give a sense of order of magnitude, I was able to get oscillation time from ~30 seconds to ~120 seconds

I currently use smooth ceramic tiles from Home Depot for my plates.  I like the idea of more mass with the 1/2" aluminum plates though.  I'll see if I can source a plate to compare to the Home Depot plates I'm currently using (thanks for the tip John!)

Hi Ray,

How did you deal with the "flexible" cable issue which can impede the freedom of oscillation?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

Normally an early adopter but due to busy times at work now probably part of the late majority; I just wanted to mention that going from copper to fiber has brought me quite a substantial step up in sound quality. Thanks for al the advice in this forum. I now have:

ISP modem/(wifi)router -> Telegärtner CAT6 U/UTP (0,5m) -> Sonore OpticalModule fed by Uptone LPS1.2 -> Planet MGB-TLX SFP -> Telegärtner 9/125 µ Singlemode OS2 (10m) -> Planet MGB-TLX SFP -> EtherREGEN

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

6 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

How did you deal with the "flexible" cable issue which can impede the freedom of oscillation?

Alas, no good way to do so.  Ideally there are no cables and the component floats freely.  Alas, that is not possible, but any isolation I can get is better than no isolation.

Typically, I try to position cables so that the platform can oscillate more freely.  As I position cables, I give the component a little nudge and see how it responds.  There are no sure fire schemes, but generally, the less strain I can get on the connector for the cable, the freer the movement.

At the end of the day, you do the best you can and try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

I have both the ER and my Asus streamer on Black Ravioli feet.  That way, in spite of the short and stiff Cat 6 cable between them, they are floating.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

On 10/6/2020 at 6:43 AM, sgr said:

I’ve implemented the Dual EtherREGEN setup. I believe it was worthwhile. Noise floor non existent. Great clarity. Images and soundstage expanded while being more precise. I’m not sure why one would buy a stack of Buffalo switches when two Etherregens look to be less expensive. 
But I’ve not heard a stack of switches yet. 

Interesting. Are you saying you put two ER's in tandem?

On 9/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, crion said:

I have the etherregen connected to HDPLEX200W (soon to be 300W) and a Shunyata CGS10 cable (Soon to be Sigma V2 CGC cable) from etherregen to Denali GND post. This improved the sound in my setup considerably, like a strong foundation in the sound. The grounding is paramount IMHO. It will be interesting to see how it improves with the Sigma CGC V2 (VTX-Ag) and yes there is an Omega CGC cable as well, I think it might have a TAP module which seems to be missing on the Sigma CGC v2.

I'm still waiting for my placeholder 4G clock (squarewave OXCO) and Shunyata V2 Alpha clock 75Ohm to make their entrance.

Do we need a costly ground wire like CGS10? How is it better than just using a copper wire?

Also, doesn't the grounding wire cause ground looping?

On 12/30/2019 at 1:59 PM, emailists said:

BigAimc here is a picture of my temp setup, just sitting on the floor next to the rack for now.

C03356C8-B8B5-4BBF-97DF-77067B4013C5.jpeg

I found a local shop that deals with small quantities of metal.  I might stop in and see if I can have them fabricate some kind of case or just the inner support rails out of copper.  

How did you attach those spikes?

On 12/31/2019 at 7:25 AM, octaviars said:

Thanks @JohnSwenson for the answers.

I use two heatsinks on my eR as it is mounted in a cabinet that is around 30C. Before I added the heatsinks the eR was around 48-49C on the case (I use a calibrated IR thermometer) and with the heatsink the case is around 40C so I think this soulution works ok..

I use one of the mountingscrews for the sidepanel as a referencepoint so the before and after measurements is from the exact same point.

DSC_0014.thumb.JPG.171deeb43e6c563d7ca0c329c3fa0ef7.JPG.7a371f529c96ba42abfa5f515d62a7c2.JPG

_20191223_094424.JPG.cd925a153643e09ac5831cf6595eef13.thumb.JPG.3fe94fcffaeef30d063bae756a0301a5.JPG

Octaviars, what does that black bracket attach to on the ER? It should act as antivibrator as well.

Some while ago, I had the opportunity to listen to the newest Ikigai network cables.

Between the etherregen and streamer

The first one I tried was the Sugure.
(Compared it to a Wireworld starlight platinum).

Okay this is interesting... Serious improvement happening here. From wider staging, more depth, better orientation of individual instruments, To details revealed I didn't notice before.
Everything just sounds more natural and more 'at ease'.

Next one I tried, is the top line model the "Kangai".

Well most of all immediately the attack /release of instruments are Just brought to another level. In other words the timing (PRaT) enhanced incredibly. On top of the improvement of the Sugure. Everything just came together in the nicest possible way. Never thought a network cable could be  this much of an improvement to my already (to me) great sounding set.

Almost the same upgrade as the etherregen itself was almost a year ago by now.

So I ordered it, the Kangai and it arrived a few weeks later, now in my system for about four weeks, today I found some time to once again compare it with the previous cable. Well that was a very, short switching back. In seconds it was clear I'm still very confident with my buy, and after a few minutes playing parts of  the same songs I did during the initial test. I know for sure I did the right thing by buying this cable. I still noticed exactly the same improvements.

The fact that 'just a network cable' makes it even more worthy listening, I'm now really considering trying upgrading the ps of the ER, and maybe the clock also later on?

Didn't expect this could make so much of an improvement on top of the ER.

naamloos-9687.JPG