IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

4 hours ago, robbbby said:

Do you know the difference between the two Ghent cables? One is a cat6a made with belkin cable, other is cat8 made with linkway cable. They are both the same price. I’m a bit confused. 

Not more than you. Just purchased the one you think is best for your. 
Belden was the first one he made. It’s a well known brand and has data sheet you can study, as well as a website with a lot of information.  I guess someone liked to try another one.

I think you won’t notice a difference between them.

You can use search here at AS and see if you find out more. 

(I just google Linksys Ethernet and the answer was that Linksys use Belsen)

On 8/26/2020 at 12:51 AM, bernardl said:

I finally got my clock cable and was able to deploy a few days ago the following configuration:

- SonoreOptical module -> fiber -> EtheRegen -> Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI

Additional considerations:

- I use as external clock a Cybershaft OP21A-D with external linear power supply connected to a Shunyata Everest power conditioner with a Shunyata Venom V14 Digital cable

- The clock cable connecting the EtheRegen to the Cybershaft is a Shunyata Sigma 75 Ohm

- The Cybersharft is configured in chassis grounding mode and is grounded to the Shunyata Everest which is my common grounding reference for the whole system (this is point is in fact pretty important soundwise)

- The EtheRegen is fed by a LPS-1.2, itself connected with a Shunyata Venom V14 Digital to the Shunyata Everest

- The EtherRegen is also grounded to the Shunyata Everest

- I have designed and had 3D printed in aluminium a special heatsink cradle enhanced with copper plates to help with heat dissipation of the EtheRegen and LPS.

The system has been up for a few days and is starting to sound pretty good. I am coming from a truly excellent Melco S100, I am interested in seeing to what extend the EtheRegen, with arguably the best possible supporting environment money can buy, will sound like in a few days relative to the Melco.

Btw, the cybershaft will also be used to clock a Mutec once I get the right power supply for it.

Cheers,

Bernard

Interesting grounding. I’ve the same clock + LPS from Kenji.  He set it up per my configuration on the assumption that I’d be connecting all my equipment into my Shunyata power conditioners, which I am. He set all the GND switches to Isolate.  My assumption is that by ensuring that all devices including the LPS are connected into power conditioners which connect to wall receptacle, everything is properly grounded. Using a ground wire from the Cybershaft to the Everest ground, according to Caelin, is simply redundant. Same applies to EtherREGEN (I’m using a JS-2 for both my EtherREGEN and Roon Nucleus). 

What’s the reasoning and results of your setup?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

On 8/31/2020 at 9:31 AM, stevebythebay said:

Interesting grounding. I’ve the same clock + LPS from Kenji.  He set it up per my configuration on the assumption that I’d be connecting all my equipment into my Shunyata power conditioners, which I am. He set all the GND switches to Isolate.  My assumption is that by ensuring that all devices including the LPS are connected into power conditioners which connect to wall receptacle, everything is properly grounded. Using a ground wire from the Cybershaft to the Everest ground, according to Caelin, is simply redundant. Same applies to EtherREGEN (I’m using a JS-2 for both my EtherREGEN and Roon Nucleus). 

What’s the reasoning and results of your setup?

Hi Steve,

I understand what you are saying. I was first also under the assumption that there would be no need to ground the EtheRegen and Cybershaft clock since they were both connected to the Everest through their respective LPS (inputs provided by Shunyata on audioshark forum).

But I wasn't quite impressed by the sound quality compared to what I was getting till then with my Melco + LPS without any clock.

So I tried grounding both and the sound got improved significantly in my set up. I am unable to explain why it's the case, but it was pretty clearcut.

As of today, I feel that the EteRegen set up is now a bit superior to the Melco, but it's probably close and my current feeling is that, in my environment, it's probably simpler and cheaper to just deploy a Melco with Uptone LPS instead of an expensive clock to drive the EtheRegen in a super optimized environment.

My opinion is still not final though because I am probably not fully out of burn in, and memory can be deceiving. I'll continue to listen to my list of reference recordings to confirm this opinion.

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Well with respect to the EtherREGEN it seems that, according to Alex, the JS-2 provides the necessary grounding for the switch, as compared to other approaches beyond the provided power dongle.  However, in my communication with both Kenji and Caelin nothing is clear cut respecting grounding.  Using a good cable from the Cybershaft chassis ground to one of the grounding posts on the Denali or Everest can improve the grounding.  

Your experience is instructive as to the Melco and, I assume, using the LPS 1.2, right?

So, I will pursue that down the road.

I'm still awaiting a bunch of new v2 Shunyata digital and analog cables as well as power cables.  Also, upgrading a pair of Sigma Ethernet to Omega and the Everest.  Onward and upward!

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

2 hours ago, vgrubb said:

I'm considering getting a Sonore OM and using Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs. Just wanted to confirm the Finisars are compatible with the OM and ER. Or is there a better choice?

Hi @vgrubb

Yup, they are compatible, I have these Finisars and bought them to go with my OM & ER. 

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

I have the etherregen connected to HDPLEX200W (soon to be 300W) and a Shunyata CGS10 cable (Soon to be Sigma V2 CGC cable) from etherregen to Denali GND post. This improved the sound in my setup considerably, like a strong foundation in the sound. The grounding is paramount IMHO. It will be interesting to see how it improves with the Sigma CGC V2 (VTX-Ag) and yes there is an Omega CGC cable as well, I think it might have a TAP module which seems to be missing on the Sigma CGC v2.

I'm still waiting for my placeholder 4G clock (squarewave OXCO) and Shunyata V2 Alpha clock 75Ohm to make their entrance.

Headphone: JCAT Femto USB 2.0 FW -> Mytek Liberty DAC -> Hifiman Jade II energizer with SR Orange Fuse -> Hifiman Jade II (nov '19)

HT/Streaming:Xeon ROON server -> Uptone Etherregen/BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO -> Meridian 210/ATV4K -> Meridian 861V8 Processor/UHD722 HDMI upsampler -> Meridian DSP 8000SE/7200SE/5200SE Speakers. Sim2 HT380 1080P Projector with T2 Optics. XEIT Anamorphic lens. Stewart CineCurve Studiotek 130 Screen.

I just tried an akiko audio castello grounding block here for the last few weeks had the Etherregen,  the TV and the Lyngdorf TDAI3400 connected to it. 

If it was doing anything it was very marginal. Thought it improved piano tone a tiny bit and bass a tiny bit but not convinced that I wasn't imagining even that. 

I do run 4 different power conditioners and star grounding and the Etherregen, guessing that I'm hitting stuff at source.

I still need to put my Chinese clock in the system.

2 hours ago, chungjh said:

Some of you have suggested having an LPS drive the router as well as the ER. Have people noticed that the LPS for the router makes a significant SQ upgrade?

I have an HDPlex 200w with an ASUS AC87R router on the 19v rail and a Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem on the 12v.  No difference that I can tell at all.  If the HDPlex hadn’t been a spare that needed something to do, I would consider this a disappointing “upgrade.”

In contrast, my Etherregen, optical module, ultraRendu and microrendu all have benefited from my UpTone LPS1 and LPS1.2 upgrades, so I am not someone who pooh-poohs LPS substitution in other settings.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 9/13/2020 at 12:45 PM, ASRMichael said:

I use 7v 3amp on the LPS rail

Just curious:  Did you try other voltages before settling upon 7v?  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 9/13/2020 at 5:45 PM, chungjh said:

Some of you have suggested having an LPS drive the router as well as the ER. Have people noticed that the LPS for the router makes a significant SQ upgrade?

I'm running my TP-Link MR6400 router from a Paul Hynes PR3iEHD.  Yes, it made a difference over even the Chinese LPSU I was using before.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have an Ifi IpowerX 12V on the Uptone Etherregen now and it was an improvement actually from the HDPLEX 200W I used previously IMHO and much cheaper. I'm awaiting the new HDPLEX 300W and will do a comparison then.

The chinese 4G 10MHz clock is here and I think that this actually seem in some way benefit my whole setup. I can't really explain it but it is like something is bringing coherence with perfect timing to both video and audio... I will put it on my new HDPLEX 300W when I receive it as well. Right now a 200W HDPLEX is running most of the network stuff.

I'm also awaiting a Shunyata CGC Sigma grounding cable for the ER and will then put the older Shunyata CGS10 cable on the chinese clock. Also the Shunyata Alpha clock v2 75Ohm is coming sometime. Right now using a frankenstein 75Ohm Neutrik RCA coax into BNC adapters. I'm guessing the comparison to Shunyata Alpha v2 clock 75Ohm wont' be fair. ;-)

Headphone: JCAT Femto USB 2.0 FW -> Mytek Liberty DAC -> Hifiman Jade II energizer with SR Orange Fuse -> Hifiman Jade II (nov '19)

HT/Streaming:Xeon ROON server -> Uptone Etherregen/BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO -> Meridian 210/ATV4K -> Meridian 861V8 Processor/UHD722 HDMI upsampler -> Meridian DSP 8000SE/7200SE/5200SE Speakers. Sim2 HT380 1080P Projector with T2 Optics. XEIT Anamorphic lens. Stewart CineCurve Studiotek 130 Screen.