IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 12/23/2020 at 3:11 AM, fuzzypoodle said:

Hi @JohnSwenson,

Can you please suggest the optimal application of Uptone power supplies to the following gear:

SotM 10G Switch -> Etherregen -> Auralic G2 Streamer (AC)-> ISOregen -> M-scaler -> Opto_DX (batteries) -> Hugo TT2 DAC.

Currently JS-2 powers HMS and Hugo TT2.  ISOregen by LPS-1.2.  One LPS on January order. 

Thanks in advance !

My suggestion is to immediately stop sharing the JS-2 between the HMS and TT2 as that completely bypasses the Opto DX. Also both of the Chord HMS and TT2 draw well above 1A at times so they really shouldn’t be run from an LPS.

I am biased but my ideal UpTone Power supply implementation would be a separate JS-2 on everything. And get one of the custom 15v JS-2 (ask SuperDad about this) for the HMS which for some reason sounds better with 15v. The TT2 is less picky with voltage as it is used to change its internal supercapacitor supply, but 15v wouldn’t hurt here either.

To save space and money, I guess ypu could use LPS 1.2 on the EtherRegen and ISORegen. 

Hello.
This is my first post! I am from Poland and my English is translated by google. Therefore, I apologize for the mistakes. I read your reviews and bought UpTone EtherRegen. I want to go on with my query from here. Maybe someone else has a good EtherRegen power supply for sale. I am happy to buy a Farad Super 3 or SR4T with the complete cables.

I have been using the etherRegen without an issue for months. However, today it started to produce an odd result. When the eR was connected to my network, the internet connection would drop out. If I disconnected the eR to the network, the internet connection would reappear. I tried this multiple times to confirm that I was not imagining this. Presumably there is some kind of conflict between the eR and my modem/router. Any thoughts as to how to resolve this?

22 minutes ago, rossb said:

I have been using the etherRegen without an issue for months. However, today it started to produce an odd result. When the eR was connected to my network, the internet connection would drop out. If I disconnected the eR to the network, the internet connection would reappear. I tried this multiple times to confirm that I was not imagining this. Presumably there is some kind of conflict between the eR and my modem/router. Any thoughts as to how to resolve this?

It's summer, the ER is too hot, even under cooler conditions. Find a USB fan, blow it over the case and see if the ER keeps going?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The only scenario I can think of (and I've seen faulty network switches do this) is if the ER is broadcasting constant rubbish.

Does your router's activity light confirm if the ER is sending constant traffic if supposedly idle with nothing connected to the B side?

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

32 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The router has logs, any clue in looking at those? Some of them are gobbly gook, some are actua;ly written in English. Perhaps extract and post as an attachment.

How do I find these? I am a novice when it comes to networking.

10 minutes ago, MartinT said:

The only scenario I can think of (and I've seen faulty network switches do this) is if the ER is broadcasting constant rubbish.

Does your router's activity light confirm if the ER is sending constant traffic if supposedly idle with nothing connected to the B side?

I'll have to reconnect the ER and see what effect it has on the router (which is in a different room).

7 hours ago, rossb said:

Presumably there is some kind of conflict between the eR and my modem/router.

Maybe check if there is firmware upgrades available for your other network gear. Take cables in and out as a way to ensure good connections.

Assume your power to EtherRegen is OK, so that isn’t a place to look. 

20 hours ago, rossb said:

The ER was bought in March last year. I assume it is under warranty - I think I will be sending it back to Uptone for repair/replacement.

Please email Alex and send him details about your network and equipment in use.

I’m still thinking you have a network issue.

Suggestion for a test: Purchase the cheapest used switch you can find. Replace it with EtherRegen, assuming everything else is the same. Still problems ?

Or remove/disconnect everything from network, and connect EtherRegen and then another device and test. 

Also, if you lately added lights, like some cheap Xmas lights, or anything dimmable or remote controlled, those item can in some rare cases cause issues. 

On 1/3/2021 at 2:58 AM, rossb said:

Thanks, but that’s not quite the problem. The eR is working fine. But it causes my modem/router to lose the internet connection when it is connected to the network.

Hi Ross:

Sorry you are having difficulty.  Hard to fathom how the attachment of an EtherREGEN could cause your modem/router upstream to fail. 

Saw your e-mail from yesterday (Sunday) and I’ll be contacting you.

Please be patient as today is my first day back in the office since December 18th and after triaging 200+ messages (a lot of junk) I am down to a still daunting pile of about 45  which require personal reply. Everything from JS-2 order inquires, to long messages seeking advice regarding EtherREGEN usage, to users with connectivity issues.  I will reply to trouble issues first, but am starting with the earliest from late-December.

Thanks and Happy New Years all,

--Alex C.

5 hours ago, rossb said:

I think I spoke too soon. The ER seems to stop working after a while. It does get very hot - I wonder if it is overheating ...? This is using a 7v power supply.

The normal high heat of the EtherREGEN is not the cause.  I will be in contact with you later today.

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Do you have a 12V available? Preferably the one shipped with the EtherRegen. 
What is that 7V PS ?

The supply shipped with EtherREGEN is 7.5V.  Temperature does not vary (maybe a couple of degrees) with input voltage.

Hi All,

What to share my experiences with an upgrade to a Supercapacitor linear Power supply with the Uptone EtherRegen.  Namely the Super3 Power Supply made and sold by Farad in The Netherlands.

Immediately an increase of all aspects concerning P R a T & B. In other words Pace, Rythm and Timing and the Black background. Ps.was using the standard delivered Meanwell supply.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it, although not cheap, but a huge improvement in sound quality.

Ps. Although I am Dutch, I have no involvement whatsoever with this company except as a very satisfied customer.

Very best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable