IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

1 hour ago, MagnusH said:

Sounds very unlikely that the RME DAC is the problem, and if it is its likely due to wrong DAC specification in DietPi or Volumio. 

NOPE

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Using a Allo Digione Sig  with a RPi 4 1 gig  via spdif coax to a RME ADI 2 V2 through a Monoprice  THX amp. No dropouts. HD650 cans sound great. Input from web radio Ethernet or usb from Audirvana + MacBook Pro.

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

2 hours ago, greyscale said:

Using a Allo Digione Sig  with a RPi 4 1 gig  via spdif coax to a RME ADI 2 V2 through a Monoprice  THX amp. No dropouts. HD650 cans sound great. Input from web radio Ethernet or usb from Audirvana + MacBook Pro.

We are speaking about USB no spdif 🤓 via Usbridge Signature !

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 2/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, sjj said:

Considering purchasing a USBridge Sig. Have a couple of questions:

1- for those running Moode, do you find it to be reliable and stable and not require restarts or constant attention?

2- I’ll be primarily streaming Qobuz, for those using Moode and Mconnect do you find this to reliable and stable?

Thanks

1. Super reliable. Always on, always works. I haven't reboot for months.

2. Can't answer as I don't use Qobuz. But use Tidal and Linn app, flawless.

Hi, 

I am running the usb bridge signature with latest moode version 6.x.x

While my 2TB hdd works fine, I cannot get the 5TB working .. is there a limit on the size of allowed hdds by the usb bridge or moode ? It does regen MFD sporadically but hangs while it often does not even get detected.

Having thought perhaps power required is higher for the 5TB hdd than the 3 individual/independent usb ports, I power the hdd via a twin head ifi gemini cable with separated power and data cable together with an old ifi usbpower as I hope to isolate power to the hdd from the usb bridge. 

The 5TB hdd lights up but does not get detected by the usb bridge .... does the power line need to be connected by those usual twin head type A cables that parallel the added power supply and the usb bridge but I will then not achieve having separate power and signal cables nor use isolated and better ifi usbpower ? Perhaps missed common ground or something else in those.twin head cable for added power  ?

Sorry if my described request for help is confusing and will be most glad to clarify on any query for my use case.

Meanwhile, I have the 2TB hdd running fine with both usb type A connectors of the ifi gemini dual head cable plug into the usb bridge per photo which may help to explain a little but not preferred .. without 5TB and not using ifi usbpower to help isolated the hdd and the usb bridge signature.

Cheers.

Richard

20200302_235719.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

1 hour ago, higginsd said:

So let me post my insights on the Allo USBridge Sig. First: I'm (was) using a pure Pro-Ject chain. On the digital part: Roon (Rock Core on NUC i3, frontend on my MacBoo Pro) --> StreamBox S2 Ultra --> PreBox S2 digital --> AmpBox RS.

The PreBox S2 digi is an USB based (and powered) DAC with additional SPDIF inputs, the best way is to connect with USB because of input formats up to DSD512 (DSD1024) and PCM 32b/768kHz (SPDIF only PCM 24b/192kHz). So at the first look the StreamBox seems to be the best way to drive the PreBox digi because it has an optimized and silenced USB output. But...

I'm also using the path Roon --> HQPlayer, so I need an NAA capable endpoint in my network. I tried with Pi3 and HiFiBerry Digi+ pro and Ropieee, it worked, but only SPDIF with PCM up to 24b/192kHz. No chance to install the NAA driver on the StreamBox, no support by Pro-Ject and another box with network-cable/PS in my rack.

So I bought Allo USBridge Sig, installed RopieeeXL - and got my DAC with full blown data format up to DSD512 and PCM768 connected! On both paths, direct via Roon endpoint AND via Roon/HQPlayer! Works smooth and without problems, no pops, no dropout, no garbage.

The sound is fantastic, I'm still exploring and learning more about my music files. HQPlayer DSD-upsample to 512 is done by my MacBook pro (Core i9) without any problems and 80% idle. I just recognized DSD-upsample to 512 by Roon is done with much less CPU usage than by HQPlayer. But I'm not yet sure about the better sound.

The StreamBox left me today, I returned it back to the seller.

"Power off" of the USBridge Sig: I'm no friend of keeping audio devices switched on while not using them. So I installed a power on/off button to the front panel of my Allo case, connected the pins to GPIO 3 and ground (pin 5 and 6) and use the gpio-shutdown overlay to toggle a shutdown and a powerup with the button. Works. (https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/77905/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-dtoverlay-gpio-shutdown)

LPS vs. SMPS: the Shanti is way too big and too ugly in my eyes. I'm using a Pro-Ject PowerBox DS2 Amp and some factory build LPS from chinese market. For the Allo USBridge I decided to give the iFi iPower 5V a chance. Actual I'm very pleased with that little SMPS and I cannot understand Allos arguments against the iFi iPower (unless to do some marketing for the Shanti...). Maybe Allo can explain again the technical problems they see in detail.

Overall: I'm lucky with my Allo USBridge sig, the price is half of the Pro-Ject StreamBox, the sound is way better, the supported data formats are much better and my both endpoints (Roon, HQPlayer) are supported in one hardware device. For me this is the best choice. 

Nice review.  And thanks for the tip about the power button!

Ok, thanks. I'll read about "leakage currents" and ask a friend, who is a professional electronics engineer, to explain me this stuff. He is also a HiFi enthusiast and I'm sure he can tell me wether "leakage currents" are hearable impacts.

BTW: is it possible to order a Shanti and send it back (with full recharge) after 2 or 4 weeks, if there is no difference in the personal hearing?

59 minutes ago, sjj said:

Just got my USBridge Sig and Shanti. Took approx 20 mins to setup with Moode using MPD and UPnP. Streaming Qobuz using Mconnect HD on iPad via UPnP. Absolutely blown away with the SQ especially at this price point. Can’t thank @bobfa enough for his guidance and saving me time with additional research on various options and saving me money. Hopefully Moode and Mconnect will be stable and reliable without the need for restarts and tinkering.

I do not use Qobuz but if mConnect is not stable or if you do not like it, you should also be able to use Linn Kazoo (iOS, Android) and Bubble UPnP (only Android) to control the streaming of Qobuz contents to the USBridge Sig.     

6 hours ago, allo.com said:

PM me and I will make it happen

Please note that your DAC is not top of the line and yet I am ready to bet that you will hear an improved SQ.

Feed the Project Pre Box S2 also by the second powerline of the Shanti and you will be amazed 🤗

On 3/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, allo.com said:

PM me and I will make it happen

Please note that your DAC is not top of the line and yet I am ready to bet that you will hear an improved SQ.

I'll think about.

One thing: normally the USB bus of RasPi is powered down by system shutdown. But the USB of Allo USBridge Sig keeps up the power although I performed a shutdown.

Any idea to power of the USB together with shutdown? As I said, I hate running devices which are not used actual. My DAC is also USB powered and keeps running after shutdown of the Allo. I want to switch the DAC off if performing a shutdown.

Hi Unique,

Have you also tried the ifi usb3.0 or older usbpower (2.0) ?  

I use the ifi usb3.0 in my car setup for the dual 5v requirment the digione since it can handle 12v input while the usbpower cannot.

I had no use of the iusb3.0 as I swapped in the ideon 3R since I find the latter better sounding.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

whisper.jpeg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

On 12/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, gstew said:

My recent moves to the USBBridge Signature as an RPi replacement AND Uptone Audio's EtherRegen as my switch have together made such a difference that I suspect once I take the time to compare the SDTrans84-connected Soekris DAC setup to my RPi/USBBridge Sig-connected one, now the SQ difference may be so small that the limitations and headaches of using the SD-Card players may no longer be worthwhile.

Hi Greg @gstew did you get a chance to do this comparison?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

I need help with Ropieee XL and UsbSig.
I use UsbSig with moode, but want to try Ropiee XL. Can I use it with mconnect app, and how to set it up?  
I think that I need select DLNA and set it for USB, because my dac is ProJect Prebox s2 digital. But it didn't work.