Jump to content
matthias

ALLO USBridge Signature

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, zacho said:

Will there be any advantages to using this compared to the RPI when attaching a DigiOne Sig? (SQ wise)

 

IIRC, cdsgames on diyaudio mentioned the improvement with the new USBridge Sig will be very small in this case.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Not clear about what is proposed above, you wouldn’t use

them together ? Is this then a comparison USB vs SPDIF? Any out in the wild yet?

 

I mean the main purpose of the new USBridge Sig is to offer an optimised USB output. The second purpose is to offer a platform for all devices which need a RPi as a base. The SQ advantage of the Digione Sig is mostly caused by the board itself and not by the base like RPi or USBridge Sig.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, just reading more. Interesting. Nice to bump the SQ of the Digione sig, already very good indeed. The Usbridge sig has one power input, and you'd use and additional ps for the clean side of the Digione. I'm all ears...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guys, here the original answer of cdsgames on diyaudio:
 
Usbridge is optimized for USB output
I2s bus (connecting to your Digione) shows a marginal improvement(noise reduction). (thats what our test data show)
How will that translate in sound quality ? 
By connecting your Digione/Digione Sig to USBridge Sig , I would say that you will get a marginal improvement . (based on test data available to me)
Also I am attaching test data of latest version of USBridge Sig (mass production) PCB vs last revision (3 months old). 350uV of noise reduction .It is the most extreme case the rest of rails only lost 75uV of noise
Every rail is under 450uV (thats almost the limit of our CRO)
We used better common mode chokes with dampening . Test data shows a further reduction in noise. 
Folks ,we are at the floor of every machine that we have.
I am very proud of what USBridge Sig/ Audiophile SBC has achieved .
 
Matt
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, matthias said:

 

IIRC, cdsgames on diyaudio mentioned the improvement with the new USBridge Sig will be very small in this case.

 

Matt


I believe cdsgames stated that improvements in measurement is marginal, but he did not comment on subjective SQ.


This is obviously just a personal guess, but the Audiophile Pi will likely be a bigger deal for Digione Sig users than Allo lets on. 
 

The Digione Sig does a great job of isolation, but like many of us have experienced, upgrading power delivery on the “dirty side” has lead to easily noticeable improvements. 
 

Speaking from experience, upgrading the regulators directly powering the critical components is more impactful compared to the “pre-regulator” powering them. It would be sensible then, to assume that replacing all DC converters with LDOs, as Allo has done, would be as beneficial - if not more so - compared to giving the dirty side quality power.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I a

40 minutes ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Speaking from experience, upgrading the regulators directly powering the critical components is more impactful compared to the “pre-regulator” powering them. It would be sensible then, to assume that replacing all DC converters with LDOs, as Allo has done, would be as beneficial - if not more so - compared to giving the dirty side quality power

 I fully agree. Still a quiet LPSU to power your unit (like Shanti or similar) brings another subjective increase in SQ...that I am unable to see in test data. Its subjective and we cant show it so thats why we don't advertise it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uniquesnowflake said:


I believe cdsgames stated that improvements in measurement is marginal, but he did not comment on subjective SQ.

 

 

How will that translate in sound quality ? 
By connecting your Digione/Digione Sig to USBridge Sig , I would say that you will get a marginal improvement . (based on test data available to me)

 

I had the Impression that because the question was about SQ the answer of cdsgames was referring to SQ as well.

 

Matt


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matthias said:

 

How will that translate in sound quality ? 
By connecting your Digione/Digione Sig to USBridge Sig , I would say that you will get a marginal improvement . (based on test data available to me)

 

I had the Impression that because the question was about SQ the answer of cdsgames was referring to SQ as well.

 

Matt


 


But that was still based on test data, not on actual listening. Guess we'll have to wait till consumers give real world feedback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zacho said:


But that was still based on test data, not on actual listening. Guess we'll have to wait till consumers give real world feedback

 

Yes, based on test data he would think that there might be a marginal improvement in SQ as well.

That was my Interpretation of the post.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

This is obviously just a personal guess, but the Audiophile Pi will likely be a bigger deal for Digione Sig users than Allo lets on. 

 

The Digione Sig does a great job of isolation, but like many of us have experienced, upgrading power delivery on the “dirty side” has lead to easily noticeable improvements. 
 

Speaking from experience, upgrading the regulators directly powering the critical components is more impactful compared to the “pre-regulator” powering them. It would be sensible then, to assume that replacing all DC converters with LDOs, as Allo has done, would be as beneficial - if not more so - compared to giving the dirty side quality power.

 

 

.

 

 

 

I guess I have to wait for the “Audiofile Pi” ;) before I make an enclosure for the Shanti, digione sig.

Gives me more time to enjoy the current setup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usbridge Sig/ Audiiophile SBC will send the standard i2s signal (rather cleaner) but not over 384Khz (with the right distri)

 

  Usbridge Sig will run standard Rasbian but speed on network will be limited to 100Mbs. By updating the driver of the ethernet IC you will reach 330Mbs ( we will post a manual on how to do itl and the source code of the driver)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, matthias said:

 

How will that translate in sound quality ? 
By connecting your Digione/Digione Sig to USBridge Sig , I would say that you will get a marginal improvement . (based on test data available to me)

 

I had the Impression that because the question was about SQ the answer of cdsgames was referring to SQ as well.

 

Matt


 

 

I made the same interpretation from that reply. Though later posts from cdsgames seem to indicate that his position is to not comment on subjective sonic improvements, and just measurements.

 

Quote

How will USbridgeSig sound with Digione. Sorry I am unable to answer from my test data, I will not give my personal opinion .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we do.

 

 However we have as company policy not to advertise subjective opinions , since of course we have a bias .

 

  As such , we can discuss what we see in our test data not what we hear.

 

However...we also understand what test data is useful but subjective hearing is much more complex and might not be fully captured with single machine test.

 

 

  USbridge Sig PCB is now selling and I am sure you will get a lot of reviews shortly .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been waiting for this new version of the Bridge to be released!

 

But before I order it, I want to verify that it is the correct device for my needs.

 

I will feed it from hi res files stored on a local drive, not over the network. These are PCM and DSD files.

The USB out from the Allo Bridge Signature will feed a Singxer U-1 to convert USB to I2S out (it also regenerates clock and adds another level of isolation), feeding the I2S on a Gustard X20 DAC. 

 

If there is another way to accomplish the above with another Allo product, that will sound better, please let me know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I right in thinking you can only order just the PCB right now? So no case? 


[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...