IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

4 hours ago, zacho said:

Will there be any advantages to using this compared to the RPI when attaching a DigiOne Sig? (SQ wise)

IIRC, cdsgames on diyaudio mentioned the improvement with the new USBridge Sig will be very small in this case.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

33 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Not clear about what is proposed above, you wouldn’t use

them together ? Is this then a comparison USB vs SPDIF? Any out in the wild yet?

I mean the main purpose of the new USBridge Sig is to offer an optimised USB output. The second purpose is to offer a platform for all devices which need a RPi as a base. The SQ advantage of the Digione Sig is mostly caused by the board itself and not by the base like RPi or USBridge Sig.

Matt

Guys, here the original answer of cdsgames on diyaudio:

Usbridge is optimized for USB output
I2s bus (connecting to your Digione) shows a marginal improvement(noise reduction). (thats what our test data show)
How will that translate in sound quality ? 
By connecting your Digione/Digione Sig to USBridge Sig , I would say that you will get a marginal improvement . (based on test data available to me)
Also I am attaching test data of latest version of USBridge Sig (mass production) PCB vs last revision (3 months old). 350uV of noise reduction .It is the most extreme case the rest of rails only lost 75uV of noise
Every rail is under 450uV (thats almost the limit of our CRO)
We used better common mode chokes with dampening . Test data shows a further reduction in noise. 
Folks ,we are at the floor of every machine that we have.
I am very proud of what USBridge Sig/ Audiophile SBC has achieved .

Matt

22 hours ago, matthias said:

IIRC, cdsgames on diyaudio mentioned the improvement with the new USBridge Sig will be very small in this case.

Matt

I believe cdsgames stated that improvements in measurement is marginal, but he did not comment on subjective SQ.

This is obviously just a personal guess, but the Audiophile Pi will likely be a bigger deal for Digione Sig users than Allo lets on. 

The Digione Sig does a great job of isolation, but like many of us have experienced, upgrading power delivery on the “dirty side” has lead to easily noticeable improvements. 

Speaking from experience, upgrading the regulators directly powering the critical components is more impactful compared to the “pre-regulator” powering them. It would be sensible then, to assume that replacing all DC converters with LDOs, as Allo has done, would be as beneficial - if not more so - compared to giving the dirty side quality power.

I a

40 minutes ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Speaking from experience, upgrading the regulators directly powering the critical components is more impactful compared to the “pre-regulator” powering them. It would be sensible then, to assume that replacing all DC converters with LDOs, as Allo has done, would be as beneficial - if not more so - compared to giving the dirty side quality power

I fully agree. Still a quiet LPSU to power your unit (like Shanti or similar) brings another subjective increase in SQ...that I am unable to see in test data. Its subjective and we cant show it so thats why we don't advertise it.

1 hour ago, uniquesnowflake said:

I believe cdsgames stated that improvements in measurement is marginal, but he did not comment on subjective SQ.

By connecting your Digione/Digione Sig to USBridge Sig , I would say that you will get a marginal improvement . (based on test data available to me)

I had the Impression that because the question was about SQ the answer of cdsgames was referring to SQ as well.

Matt

1 minute ago, matthias said:

I had the Impression that because the question was about SQ the answer of cdsgames was referring to SQ as well.

Matt

But that was still based on test data, not on actual listening. Guess we'll have to wait till consumers give real world feedback

1 minute ago, zacho said:

But that was still based on test data, not on actual listening. Guess we'll have to wait till consumers give real world feedback

Yes, based on test data he would think that there might be a marginal improvement in SQ as well.

That was my Interpretation of the post.

Matt

4 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

This is obviously just a personal guess, but the Audiophile Pi will likely be a bigger deal for Digione Sig users than Allo lets on. 

The Digione Sig does a great job of isolation, but like many of us have experienced, upgrading power delivery on the “dirty side” has lead to easily noticeable improvements. 

Speaking from experience, upgrading the regulators directly powering the critical components is more impactful compared to the “pre-regulator” powering them. It would be sensible then, to assume that replacing all DC converters with LDOs, as Allo has done, would be as beneficial - if not more so - compared to giving the dirty side quality power.

I guess I have to wait for the “Audiofile Pi” ;) before I make an enclosure for the Shanti, digione sig.

Gives me more time to enjoy the current setup. 

Usbridge Sig/ Audiiophile SBC will send the standard i2s signal (rather cleaner) but not over 384Khz (with the right distri)

Usbridge Sig will run standard Rasbian but speed on network will be limited to 100Mbs. By updating the driver of the ethernet IC you will reach 330Mbs ( we will post a manual on how to do itl and the source code of the driver)

19 hours ago, matthias said:

Matt

I made the same interpretation from that reply. Though later posts from cdsgames seem to indicate that his position is to not comment on subjective sonic improvements, and just measurements.

How will USbridgeSig sound with Digione. Sorry I am unable to answer from my test data, I will not give my personal opinion .

Yes we do.

However we have as company policy not to advertise subjective opinions , since of course we have a bias .

As such , we can discuss what we see in our test data not what we hear.

However...we also understand what test data is useful but subjective hearing is much more complex and might not be fully captured with single machine test.

USbridge Sig PCB is now selling and I am sure you will get a lot of reviews shortly .

I have been waiting for this new version of the Bridge to be released!

But before I order it, I want to verify that it is the correct device for my needs.

I will feed it from hi res files stored on a local drive, not over the network. These are PCM and DSD files.

The USB out from the Allo Bridge Signature will feed a Singxer U-1 to convert USB to I2S out (it also regenerates clock and adds another level of isolation), feeding the I2S on a Gustard X20 DAC. 

If there is another way to accomplish the above with another Allo product, that will sound better, please let me know.