IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

17 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

The USBridge Sig/Shanti combo is clearly superior to a direct USB connection from the Mac Mini or any of the other PCs I have lying around.  I haven't heard any of the more expensive renderers, like the ultraRendu or SOtM or Lumin or what have you, so I don't know how much better it gets, but for $400 this is a very big improvement in my system.

FWIW I'd concur - only had mine (USBr Sig+Shanti) a few days BUT I've used it to upgrade from my Vortexbox* (server with internal SOtM tX-USB card) and its a meaningful improvement. Given I run Focal SM9 Studio Monitors (which are very revealing) and my existing Vortexbox based hi-fi (with the Focals) was generally received as pretty stunning by most music lover/audiophile friends who heard it I think this says a lot about the USBridge Signature & Shanti combo's performance - I was expecting parity or very very subtle improvements so at first impressions am extra pleased with my purchase.

* My Vortexbox is a customised home build around a fan-less Atom MB, and with internal cabling all hand shielded by me. The only moving part is the 4TB HDD (as I couldn't justify expense of an SSD this size), and the only thing I hadn't done is upgrade the external PSU to an LPS (again due to the relative cost and the fact I already power all my devices with regenerated power from a Thor PS10 Power Station).

Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS; Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS; Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D); Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000; Focal SM9 Monitors.
Hi-Fi 2: Squeezebox Touch+Shanti LPS; Focal XS Book powered speakers.
Hi-Fi 3: Squeezebox Transporter; Focal XS Book powered speakers.
Hi-Fi 4: PC+Squeezelite-X with Material Skin; Focal XS Book powered speakers.
Head-Fi: Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 LE Headphones.
Accessories: iPeng (on iPhones & iPad); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Thor PS10 Power Station; Aurios & Vibrapods.

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about my USBridge Signature / DigiOne Signature combination.

1. When I power everything up and plug in the Ethernet cable connecting the unit to my router, the LEDs on the Ethernet port do not light up, and the unit does not appear on my network. Does this mean that I have a defective USBridge or is it some sort of software issue? The LEDs visible on the front panel of the case light up, as do the ones on the DigiOne, so I'm assuming it's not a problem with my power supplies.

2. I'm having a problem assembling the aluminum case. The locknut that holds the jack for the clean power connection on the back panel is pressing against the edge of the top board on the DigiOne. This prevents the back panel from sitting flush with the back edges of the case. What am I doing wrong?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jim

38 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Thanks for the reporting.  I was wondering what software are you running on the USBridge Sig?

I am running Moode 6.4.  No skipping problems, I love the features and the sound is natural and very well-focused.  My ears are old and problematic, but I find Moode punches the sound out in a way that's very easy to listen to.

1 hour ago, mcsfsf said:

1. When I power everything up and plug in the Ethernet cable connecting the unit to my router, the LEDs on the Ethernet port do not light up, and the unit does not appear on my network. Does this mean that I have a defective USBridge or is it some sort of software issue? The LEDs visible on the front panel of the case light up, as do the ones on the DigiOne, so I'm assuming it's not a problem with my power supplies.

If the Ethernet socket lights aren't on you have no network connection... To troubleshoot:

1. Change the cable to a different port at the switch end - is it now working? If yes you have a bad port on your switch or hub.

2. completely change the cable to another one (e.g. ideally one you know is working for another device on your network)? If it's now working you have a bad cable.

3. If still not working it is most likely the Ethernet port on the device.

Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS; Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS; Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D); Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000; Focal SM9 Monitors.
Accessories: iPeng (on iPhones & iPad); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Thor PS10 Power Station; Aurios & Vibrapods.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

Thanks for the reporting.  I was wondering what software are you running on the USBridge Sig?

Hi @bobfa - I am running Allo supplied DietPi with only Squeezelite enable.

As per DietPi - Allo.com Web GUI Image

37 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

and the sound is natural and very well-focused

I am finding the same with Squeezelite - very tight bass, natural sounding vocals and mid-range, e.g. strings sound very life-like, as if you are sitting right in front of that artist at time of the recording...

I will post a more detailed commentary on blog of my initial findings, and post the link to it here in the next day or so...

7 minutes ago, Mycenius said:

If the Ethernet socket lights aren't on you have no network connection... To troubleshoot:

1. Change the cable to a different port at the switch end - is it now working? If yes you have a bad port on your switch or hub.

2. completely change the cable to another one (e.g. ideally one you know is working for another device on your network)? If it's now working you have a bad cable.

Also, make sure the SD card is inserted correctly.

1 hour ago, Mycenius said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both a different port and a different cable. Neither made any difference. I'm pretty sure that the port and cable I was using are fine, because I'm using them to connect one of my other players (Pi 3b+ with DigiOne Sig) to my router, and it works perfectly, In fact, I'm listening to it now.

I'm also sure that the Micro SD card was properly seated - I pushed it in until it clicked into place.

3 minutes ago, mcsfsf said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both a different port and a different cable. Neither made any difference. I'm pretty sure that the port and cable I was using are fine, because I'm using them to connect one of my other players (Pi 3b+ with DigiOne Sig) to my router, and it works perfectly, In fact, I'm listening to it now.

I'm also sure that the Micro SD card was properly seated - I pushed it in until it clicked into place.

And given you said originally the power/activity lights were on okay on the front of the USBridge Signature it does sound unfortunately like you have a faulty Ethernet port on that unit. You should message @allo.com or email them if you have an email contact.

8 hours ago, mcsfsf said:

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about my USBridge Signature / DigiOne Signature combination.

2. I'm having a problem assembling the aluminum case. The locknut that holds the jack for the clean power connection on the back panel is pressing against the edge of the top board on the DigiOne. This prevents the back panel from sitting flush with the back edges of the case. What am I doing wrong?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jim

Forwarded PM please check

On 1/19/2020 at 2:21 PM, Mycenius said:

1. I get very occasional pops and crackles but they are rare, nearly always playing DSD files, otherwise on the occasional 24/176 or 24/192 FLAC file. It was commented above about version 6.18.14 of DietPi being recommended by Allo, however my player has arrived from Allo with v6.26.3 on it (and is showing an upgrade available). Could v6.26.3 be causing the pops/crackles, or is it the CPU Governor Setting? As posted yesterday alternately is it safe to upgrade to the 'latest' version?

2. When playing DSD I get pauses/stutters - there is no missing audio but instead a 1 second or so 'blank' (like someone has cut the audio stream with scissors and slightly pulled the two halves apart creating a gap). With DSD64 (the majority of my DSF tracks) it typically happens once during the track. However with DSD128 (I actually only have 3 such DSF tracks in my collection at present) it will do it 2-3 times during playback. My suspicion is this is purely a CPU Governor Setting issue as per previous posts (such as those quoted above) and I need to push the CPU to permanently be set to 'performance'?

@allo.com for #1 above is my O/S version okay? For #2 do I just set CPU to performance using the DietPi web GUI, or use a config file entry as per an earlier post here?

On above I have resolved issue #2 by setting the CPU Governor to 'Performance' from the DietPi Web GUI - but still not sure that's the best way to do so or whether it should be set in a config file.

It also looks like setting it to 'Performance' may have also resolved the occasional pop and crackle issue - but need to test further to be sure...

3 hours ago, Mycenius said:

On above I have resolved issue #2 by setting the CPU Governor to 'Performance' from the DietPi Web GUI - but still not sure that's the best way to do so or whether it should be set in a config file.

It also looks like setting it to 'Performance' may have also resolved the occasional pop and crackle issue - but need to test further to be sure...

do I just set CPU to performance using the DietPi web GUI, or use a config file entry as per an earlier post here?

Regarding above Question , Yes in Dietpi need to set CPU  Governor option in Dietpi Web GUI only.

5 hours ago, Audio_Allo said:

Regarding above Question , Yes in Dietpi need to set CPU  Governor option in Dietpi Web GUI only.

Thanks @Audio_Allo

On 1/19/2020 at 7:26 PM, zackthedog said:

I have an original Allo supply and have compared the two.  The SMPS is grainier and a little peaky in the treble.  To me it imposes things on the music.  To my ears, the Shanti doesn't do this.  The USBridge Sig becomes far more transparent and "disappears" into the system.  The result is that you get a much better feel for the original recording quality, for better or worse.  The *distinction* between recordings is startlingly better.  The same goes for the DigiOne Sig.  I have the original DigiOne Pro and it didn't stay in my system--it had that "glassy" sound that I associate with coax.  I also have an original USBridge with the Sparky board.  It was okay but again it didn't stay in the system, because it wasn't better than a direct USB connection from my Mac Mini.

The USBridge Sig/Shanti combo is clearly superior to a direct USB connection from the Mac Mini or any of the other PCs I have lying around.  I haven't heard any of the more expensive renderers, like the ultraRendu or SOtM or Lumin or what have you, so I don't know how much better it gets, but for $400 this is a very big improvement in my system.

This past week I helped a friend on the opposite coast set up a USBridge Sig/Shanti combo with Moode Audio and Kazoo so he can stream hi-res Tidal.  Previously he had a Macbook Pro directly connected to his DAC.  After we got the Allo/Moode/Kazoo system up and running, he texted me "thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you."

Thank you for your very informative answer. I was hoping that the difference wouldn't be that big. I now had to order the USBBridge sign with the Shanti. Sad though that it is so big and not that good looking.

I'm having big hopes that it will sound clearly better than DAC directly connected to My NUC.

30 minutes ago, jram said:

The new ASIX AX88179_178A driver v2.0.0 integrated in Gentooplayer last kernels seems to solve all the clics/pops problems. Thanks @antonelloaroli !!!

Is this driver a proper fix for the upstream Linux driver that uses usbnet? I ask because there was a previous release of a driver that looked like old pre-usbnet code that never could be upstreamed.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Hi Richard

Axis driver is made by Axis team . The issue is that Axis IC is behaving differently with Arm cpu vs x86 . So , we are trying hard for Axis team to have it included in the mainline but its rather hard to have 2 different drivers (one for ARM and one for x86)

Both drivers (axis mainline) and the one we released are made by same engineers and while I am not a software guy , I think that " looked like old pre-usbnet code " is incorrect .

please... how long are Shanti's DC umbilicals?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi, I have the Allo DigiOne Signature Player.  I noticed on the USBridge Signature page, it states:

For example, you can use a DigiOne / DigiOne Sig to make a full fledge streamer that outputs USB, BNC and coaxial.

How does that work exactly?  How does the USBridge connect to the DigiOne?  Would I have to remove the DigiOne from the case?  Would the USBridge come with a case?  I am interested in this combination to get USB output on my existing DigiOne Signature Player.

19 minutes ago, shhQuiet said:

Hi, I have the Allo DigiOne Signature Player.  I noticed on the USBridge Signature page, it states:

How does that work exactly?  How does the USBridge connect to the DigiOne?  Would I have to remove the DigiOne from the case?  Would the USBridge come with a case?  I am interested in this combination to get USB output on my existing DigiOne Signature Player.

The USBridge Signature has a slot for the Digione/Digione Signature board.  Yes, you would have to remove the Digione from the original case and RPi board.  Note that the Signature combo case is designed to fit the two Signature components so it won't work with the original Digione board.  You would have to create your own case or alter the USBridge Signature case.

51 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

The USBridge Signature has a slot for the Digione/Digione Signature board.  Yes, you would have to remove the Digione from the original case and RPi board.  Note that the Signature combo case is designed to fit the two Signature components so it won't work with the original Digione board.  You would have to create your own case or alter the USBridge Signature case.

Tough to find a picture of the USBridge case for DigiOne Signature. Is there a cutout for the DigiOne "clean" power port? Or does it just get power off of the header?

The "features" bullets for the USBridge Signature and player are not that descriptive of how that works, either:

"DigiOne Signature Clean Power: 5V/1A adaptor source or battery pack power 5v to 9v range" (what is adapter source in this context?)

41 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Tough to find a picture of the USBridge case for DigiOne Signature. Is there a cutout for the DigiOne "clean" power port? Or does it just get power off of the header?

The "features" bullets for the USBridge Signature and player are not that descriptive of how that works, either:

"DigiOne Signature Clean Power: 5V/1A adaptor source or battery pack power 5v to 9v range" (what is adapter source in this context?)

It's here:

https://allo.com/sparky/aluminum-case-usbridge-sig.html#downloads

Select the combo option and you can see it. The Digione Sig is powered by an adapter cable inside the case, as you can see.  I assume "adaptor source" means a power adaptor, wall wart or some other 5-9 volt supply.  Of the course the Shanti is ideal. 😉 

Allo's website is weird, with a lot of stuff not findable unless you directly google it.