IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

On 2/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, Audio_Allo said:

Yes you can update asix driver in moode 6.4.1

ssh or terminal login using OS credentials

cd /usr/src/

wget http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/asix2v0/install.sh

sh install.sh

Moode 6.4.2. works perfectly without tweaks and additional driver install on the Usbrigde up to and including DSD512 with MPD. All creaks and clicks are gone when you put on performance. Unfortunately I can't play native DSD512 via Squeezelite on this latest Moode version. DSD512 will arrive but sampled to DSD256. I have not noticed before but this was when I went to watch the / proc / asound / Amanero stream. piCorePlayer has no problems with native DSD512 so I don't understand why Moode 6.4.2 is going back to DSD256?

30 minutes ago, Lokust said:

Hi,

just received my USBridge Sig + Shanti. How should I ground the two devices? I see the grounding terminals, but since there’s no grounding wire included (that I can find) I’m wondering what type etc. 

Thanks!

I simply soldered up some spare cable to a couple of banana plugs and connected the the two terminals together.

can’t say it made any difference though. Of course YMMV

OTOH, it can’t do any harm.

11 minutes ago, suzywong said:

I simply soldered up some spare cable to a couple of banana plugs and connected the the two terminals together.

not the way to ground neither Shanti or the USBridge

if you really need to do it connection must be from a grounding terminal to the ground pin of a spare (wall) socket ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Considering purchasing a USBridge Sig. Have a couple of questions:

1- for those running Moode, do you find it to be reliable and stable and not require restarts or constant attention?

2- I’ll be primarily streaming Qobuz, for those using Moode and Mconnect do you find this to reliable and stable?

Thanks

leaving it on 😛

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

44 minutes ago, Lokust said:

Hello again - best practice for turning off the USBridge sig + Shanti? 

Thanks!

We discussed this briefly in another thread: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57387-safe-shutdown-for-allo-rpi-systems/?tab=comments#comment-1007005

Bottom line: nobody seems to really know. The issue seems to be more a general Raspberry Pi issue than USBridge in particular. I learned over many years to avoid powering computer systems down without positive verification that the system has done a clean termination. That appears to be impossible with Raspberry Pi. If the disc activity light stops flashing for 30 seconds after a shutdown command, it seems that the system has terminated, but no way to be sure. It also seems that little or no harm occurs if you just disconnect power, but I have my ingrained prejudice against that approach.

1 hour ago, Lokust said:

Hello again - best practice for turning off the USBridge sig + Shanti? 

Thanks!

I do not know whether the Shanti has a power switch. The JS-2 that I use to power my RPi + DigiOne Signature combination has one and what I typically do is to 1) poweroff the RPi (with 'sudo poweroff') and 2) switch off the JS-2. The device is typically on 24/7 though. With the USB bus switched off, it only consumes between 0.22A and 0.24A.

12 minutes ago, nbpf said:

I do not know whether the Shanti has a power switch. The JS-2 that I use to power my RPi + DigiOne Signature combination has one and what I typically do is to 1) poweroff the RPi (with 'sudo poweroff') and 2) switch off the JS-2. The device is typically on 24/7 though. With the USB bus switched off, it only consumes between 0.22A and 0.24A.

The Shanti does have a power switch but with the super caps the voltage ramp down is so slow that it doesn't turn the Allo off until it gradually runs out of steam.  That seems like the least ideal way to turn off the Allo.  I usually power off the OS installed and wait til the red light stops blinking.  You can also just unplug it.  The only danger that I can see is possibly corrupting the OS or SD card.

Just now, zackthedog said:

The Shanti does have a power switch but with the super caps the voltage ramp down is so slow that it doesn't turn the Allo off until it gradually runs out of steam.  That seems like the least ideal way to turn off the Allo.  I usually power off the OS installed and wait til the red light stops blinking.  You can also just unplug it.  The only danger that I can see is possibly corrupting the OS or SD card.

I do have a similar behavior with the JS-2. From the moment I switch it off, it takes about 20 seconds for the LEDs of the RPi to go off. After powering off the RPi, I wait until the activity LED is off before I switch off the JS-2. I never had a problem with a corrupted SD card in 7 years and 2-3 RPi in my LAN. But, as I mentioned, I switch them off very rarely.

43 minutes ago, odonnell said:

We discussed this briefly in another thread: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57387-safe-shutdown-for-allo-rpi-systems/?tab=comments#comment-1007005

Bottom line: nobody seems to really know. The issue seems to be more a general Raspberry Pi issue than USBridge in particular. I learned over many years to avoid powering computer systems down without positive verification that the system has done a clean termination. That appears to be impossible with Raspberry Pi. If the disc activity light stops flashing for 30 seconds after a shutdown command, it seems that the system has terminated, but no way to be sure. It also seems that little or no harm occurs if you just disconnect power, but I have my ingrained prejudice against that approach.

If you issue a poweroff (immediate shutdown) on the RPi and then try to ping it or to do a remote login after the activity light stops flashing, you will notice that the RPi is unreachable. I would argue that at that time it is safe to disconnect the power. But you are perfectly right and I am not aware of any precise documentation on how to power off an RPi.  

11 hours ago, pl_svn said:

not the way to ground neither Shanti or the USBridge

if you really need to do it connection must be from a grounding terminal to the ground pin of a spare (wall) socket ;)

suzywong's method is exactly what cdsgames from Allo recommended.

However, I personally much prefer connecting each ground terminal to its own battery ground tweak. No idea why it works, but the tweak is cheap and the results are very obvious.

Since I moved from my Usbridge to the signature + Shanti when I play an album I have a strong distortion at the beginning and the end of each track and sometimes randomly. It's very annoying. It's attached to a RME ADI2 DAC under Volumio. My library is on a NAS QNAP TS451 or Qobuz. I have a strong wifi connection around 300Mb/s and the Usbridge is connected to a TP link WR902AC. What can be the source of this problem?

Any thoughts on adding an AudioQuest JitterBug to the USB chain from the Allo USBridge Sig to my Mytek Brooklyn?  After reading a John Atkinson Stereophile review, I bought two JitterBugs when I had my DAC directly connected to my Roon core PC. One was in line with the USB connection the other was plugged into an open USB port.  Maybe now I should just keep both JitterBugs plugged into the Roon core PC and not in line.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:07 PM, inca21 said:

Since I moved from my Usbridge to the signature + Shanti when I play an album I have a strong distortion at the beginning and the end of each track and sometimes randomly. It's very annoying. It's attached to a RME ADI2 DAC under Volumio. My library is on a NAS QNAP TS451 or Qobuz. I have a strong wifi connection around 300Mb/s and the Usbridge is connected to a TP link WR902AC. What can be the source of this problem?

Forwarded PM please check

7 hours ago, Audio_Allo said:

Forwarded PM please check

I have had also problems with RME ADI2 DAC in combination with Allo Signature and Dietpi as Naa for HqPlayer. Many drop outs.

At that time Allo helped me a lot but we could solve the problem. Lateron the kernel has been updated. 
But due to abovementioned problems I returned the RMe Aldi 2 Dac.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

10 minutes ago, ambre said:

I have had also problems with RME ADI2 DAC in combination with Allo Signature and Dietpi as Naa for HqPlayer. Many drop outs.

At that time Allo helped me a lot but we could solve the problem. Lateron the kernel has been updated. 
But due to abovementioned problems I returned the RMe Aldi 2 Dac.

Doesn’t sound good, I really like the RME. What dac did you get instead ?