IGNORED

RMAF 2019 Official Thread

23 hours ago, stuck limo said:

What was the type of music most of the vendors were playing? Mostly older or anything newer? 

We (Sonore) played a pretty wide variety.  For example we played "Chocolate Chip Trip" basically a drum solo, from Tool's new album at least a couple if times a day.  It would drive some people out, but the spacious (and dynamic) quality of this recording is outstanding: it presents a 180 degree sound field, even in a a hotel room.  The people who were not driven out were ecstatic about it.  

We did play one track from DSOTM by request over the course of the show.  But I played Floyd's "St. Tropez" a handful of times. We also played a working track (not yet completed) by my GF, Misti Bernard, of 13th Century Spanish music which a lot of folks loved.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

58 minutes ago, coot said:

So no classical I take it. Never been to any hi-fi show. Prolly never will as I don't do big cities and don't care to be in crowds. 98% classical hermit...

There was, though not a lot. For playing on various systems, best to bring your own.

I had the pleasure of hearing an in-progress version of an early music track by barrows’ friend Misti Bernard in the Sonore room, which was stunning (both the music and the reproduction).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, coot said:

So no classical I take it. Never been to any hi-fi show. Prolly never will as I don't do big cities and don't care to be in crowds. 98% classical hermit...

Lots of classical was being played at RMAF.  We (Sonore) certainly played plenty of classical.  But we do have to play multiple genres; typically we would not play the same genre more than two tracks in a row, as one wants to play a wide variety of music to suit the many tastes of different listeners at any moment.

Many rooms will take requests, we certainly did, and we will play classical when people ask for it.  But, generally we are not going to play a full symphony for 30 minutes, as this could antagonize many listeners: it can be a bit of a challenge to please everyone at the same time, but with a little patience, one should be able to get to hear some familiar and favorite music in many rooms at a show.

The new Venue for RMAF does not require going into a big city, it is 15 minutes from the Denver airports and there are enough restaurants and such at the convention center site, that there is no need to go into Denver itself.  IMO, going to show is something every audiophile should do at least sometime, there is no better way to hear a wide variety of gear in one place, and to experience everything from $1500 systems to $1 Million dollar systems...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

59 minutes ago, barrows said:

The new Venue for RMAF does not require going into a big city, it is 15 minutes from the Denver airports and there are enough restaurants and such at the convention center site, that there is no need to go into Denver itself.

Yes, we were hermetically sealed in the hotel/convention center for four days, but it’s a nice place to be cut off from the real world 😀

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

28 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, we were hermetically sealed in the hotel/convention center for four days, but it’s a nice place to be cut off from the real world 😀

Image result for boy in the bubble meme

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, barrows said:

Lots of classical was being played at RMAF.  We (Sonore) certainly played plenty of classical.  But we do have to play multiple genres; typically we would not play the same genre more than two tracks in a row, as one wants to play a wide variety of music to suit the many tastes of different listeners at any moment.

Many rooms will take requests, we certainly did, and we will play classical when people ask for it.  But, generally we are not going to play a full symphony for 30 minutes, as this could antagonize many listeners: it can be a bit of a challenge to please everyone at the same time, but with a little patience, one should be able to get to hear some familiar and favorite music in many rooms at a show.

The new Venue for RMAF does not require going into a big city, it is 15 minutes from the Denver airports and there are enough restaurants and such at the convention center site, that there is no need to go into Denver itself.  IMO, going to show is something every audiophile should do at least sometime, there is no better way to hear a wide variety of gear in one place, and to experience everything from $1500 systems to $1 Million dollar systems...

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We ventured out to the Cardas cocktail party Friday night, and a Thai dinner, and then I made sure we went to one of my favorite restaurants in the Highlands, Lola Coastal Mexican when my GF arrived Saturday evening.  The food in the Gaylord (Hotel) was OK, but in Denver one can do much better if one is willing to drive for a bit (or Uber/Lyft).  Being a semi local helps on picking places of course.

Then of course, after takedown, Misti and I went to the Paramount Theater for an incredible concert by King Crimson last night, AMAZING!

KC.jpg

SONORE computer audio

I had my plane tickets and lodging but had a bit of a mishap so I had to cancel at the last minute.  Will attend next year. 

Any my thoughts on the Raidho room?

Any thoughts on Vivid speakers in addition to those those mentioned for the Sonore room?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

I had my plane tickets and lodging but had a bit of a mishap so I had to cancel at the last minute.  Will attend next year. 

Any my thoughts on the Raidho room?

Any thoughts on Vivid speakers in addition to those those mentioned for the Sonore room?

We had a staffing problem in our room due to a family tragedy for one of our guys, so I did not get out enough...  Lumin had Giya G-2s, but when I was there they were playing so softly, and using obscure audiophile music, that I could not really tell what was up, but I have heard them before and loved them.  the Kaya 90s in the Classic Album Sundays Room were hampered by the room shape.  I am a huge fan of the Vivid speakers though, very resolving and transparent, with a crystalline purity to the midrange, but no harshness that I can detect (I do not like bright speakers).

When I heard the Raidho room it was bad, with very glassy highs (unnaturally so), but I was only there briefly.  Misti and a friend of mine spent some time listening to the Raidhos' room and said it had superb sound, so I suspect the problem I heard was the recording (I think it was a request).  They were playing the TD 2.sopmethings...

I though Joseph Audio (with Pearl 3s, graphene midrange) was really good with Doshi... 

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, botrytis said:

Well, Jessica Fernandez was over played at Axpona this year as well as Lyn Stanley...

Curious do you mean Vanessa Fernandez? I did a google search for Jessica Fernandez and it says she's a tennis player.

I love Vanessa Fernandez's SACDs on Groove Note Records especially her Led Zeppelin cover album When the Levee Breaks. 

3611_f_.jpg

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

5 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Curious do you mean Vanessa Fernandez? I did a google search for Jessica Fernandez and it says she's a tennis player.

I love Vanessa Fernandez's SACDs on Groove Note Records especially her Led Zeppelin cover album When the Levee Breaks. 

3611_f_.jpg

You know what I mean :D

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 9/7/2019 at 11:39 PM, Jud said:

I attended @David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist's seminar on Qobuz. He did a terrific job with a tiny audience. The schedulers did him no favors at all on that score: First, he was apparently a late addition, so he didn't show up in the program - you had to by chance notice a sign near the registration desk that gave the time for his talk. Second, they had him on a half hour after the public portion of the show started Friday morning, when everyone was running to the rooms they most wanted to see, and no one (or almost no one) was going to spend an hour sitting in a seminar. Despite all that, David gave a nice picture of what Qobuz is about, and answered questions from the audience politely and informatively. A little later on Friday, I was in the Wilson room hearing some great sound, and it turned out to be Qobuz.

Can be watched here if anyone is interested: 

I thought it was a waste of my time, though. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

13 hours ago, barrows said:

We ventured out to the Cardas cocktail party Friday night, and a Thai dinner, and then I made sure we went to one of my favorite restaurants in the Highlands, Lola Coastal Mexican when my GF arrived Saturday evening.  The food in the Gaylord (Hotel) was OK, but in Denver one can do much better if one is willing to drive for a bit (or Uber/Lyft).  Being a semi local helps on picking places of course.

Then of course, after takedown, Misti and I went to the Paramount Theater for an incredible concert by King Crimson last night, AMAZING!

KC.jpg

Cool....I'm seeing them tonight at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. We have seats right in front of the sound board, so we can yell at the sound guy if it gets too loud :)  Brought my best hi fi earplugs. I'm sure I'll need them.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, barrows said:

one of my favorite restaurants in the Highlands, Lola Coastal Mexican

We need more RMAF food recommendations.  🙂

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:02 PM, barrows said:

When I heard the Raidho room it was bad, with very glassy highs (unnaturally so),

I was in too many rooms where small speakers were being overdriven in an apparent effort to make listeners say ”Wow, so much bass from such a small cabinet!”  But it was invariably muddy mid-bass, and shrill highs as well. I was in two rooms where small speakers sounded good, Elac and Borresen.