IGNORED

RMAF 2019 Official Thread

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was in a few rooms where the motto was, “Ain’t no problem we can’t overcome with a little more volume.”

I thought, for the small rooms (like Sonore's) the sound was pretty good,-certainly better than at the previous RMAF venue.  The higher ceiling really helped.  I did find that the room was very critical of volume level, plus or minus a dB or two could make all the difference.  And with that being the case, and with the wildly differing average levels of recordings, it was often challenging to always have the volume at an appropriate level. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

16 hours ago, Jud said:

We need more RMAF food recommendations.  🙂

I do not go to Denver very often, but along with Lola for coastal Mexican, I can recommend Jax in downtown Denver for fish, it is excellent.  (BTW, Jax and Lola share ownership...)

Of course being the west there are a bunch of steakhouses, but that is really not my thing...  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 9/10/2019 at 3:44 AM, ray-dude said:

Because no RMAF trip is complete without a trip to the mountains, absolutely GLORIOUS day at Maroon Bells today!

5ADD5AC8-2EE6-473A-986B-FA035F804B86.jpeg

Very nice shot!

And good  composition with the reflections in the water.

Makes me regret I sold my motorhome in Canada.

The Rockies both in the USA and Canada are wonderful in September October.

But I guess you shot it on an iPhone or similar?

With  lack of resolution and a bit short depth of field, showing a bit especially when magnified.

And what's that grey area in the bottom  left corner?

A bit like a dac  without the HMS.

Nothing new from Chord  at RMAF I guess?

Cheers Chrille

It was a pleasure seeing audio friends at RMAF last week (my no.1 goal for any audio show).  Meeting Jud, a long-time audio buddy, for the first time, was especially nice!  And seeing Todd Garfinkle, Chris, Vinnie Rossi, Chebon (Mytek), and several others is always a pleasure.  It's nice to stay in touch, even if it's only every six months or so.

As I told Marjorie in the hall on Friday morning, I think the new venue (now 30 min and a toll road from my new residence in Parker, as opposed to 12 min up I-25 to the former RMAF site) brought many positives and only a few negatives.  Yes, the parking fees sucked (Marjorie was nice enough to give us a free pass :) ) and the layout (an average of 6 rooms per floor on a 30 room floor) was a bit problematic, but then again the crowds were VERY manageable (on Friday), the rooms sounded much better than the Marriott's, and the overall Gaylord resort was a cleaner, more up-to-date venue than previous RMAFs could ever be.  I'd have made the convention center level 3  "you are here" maps a little more friendly, and would have attempted to allow pre-registration to mean something (waiting in same long line as new tickets seemed unproductive on Friday morn).

My favorite rooms, in absolutely random order, included Wharfedale, Klipsch, Vinnie Rossi, ELAC, ATC and Prana.  There were very few ear-bleeding rooms, although Nola, Raidho and Wilson were quite forgettable.

Yes, this RMAF was quite small in comparison to the ever-growing Axpona, to previous RMAFs, etc.  But I think the new location can be ironed out and be a great new home for an always-wonderful Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in my new home town. :)

Hey Ted, sorry to have not seen you at RMAF.  I mostly agree with your assessment of the new venue.  From an exhibitor's perspective it is quite a bit more expensive, and that, along with some uncertainty about the new venue, probably caused some exhibitors to take a wait and see approach.  I suspect that the show will grow pretty quickly for next year.

The extra day for press and dealers was a total failure.  There was almost no one at the show, and every exhibitor I talked with expressed the same experience.  Considering the additional expense to exhibitors of an additional day, I suspect that this will be eliminated for next year.  Perhaps Friday morning until noon could be reserved for industry...

The good news is that the rooms, especially the small rooms, sound quality was much, much better the in the old location.

SONORE computer audio

On 9/6/2019 at 3:44 AM, firedog said:

And those in the picture are not the big model, correct. 

PS has not built the big model yet.  I think it is still in development.  

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Ted.

Whoa, were the exhibit rooms really located on 30 different floors?! That seems nuts...

No, each floor (3 thru 11) had approx 30 hotel rooms per floor...but only an average of 6 of them were taken by audio exhibitors.

14 minutes ago, Kimo said:

This is fake news.  I have never seen a female person happy and excited about attending a King Crimson concert.  Maybe, it is just a miracle.  

Hahaha!  She was ecstatic, and has seen KC before also.  She is a working musician.  We both had copious tears streaming down our faces and dripping off our chins during "Epitaph"!

I am very lucky...

SONORE computer audio

One other thing about the gaylord, there was never a wait for the elevators, there are many of them, and they are very fast, so there was no need to use the stairs.

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, NOMBEDES said:

I would give my left nut (which is not doing me much good anyway) for the Pearl 3.  I have the Floorstander Perspectives and they are great.  

I have heard the Pearl 3s. If I ever wanted to spend that much money on a speaker they would be right at the top of the list, that's for sure.

No electron left behind.

46 minutes ago, ted_b said:

No, each floor (3 thru 11) had approx 30 hotel rooms per floor...but only an average of 6 of them were taken by audio exhibitors.

Actually about 60 rooms per floor.  Here is a worst case example (floor 5)

IMG_1292.jpg

Well, RMAF is very costly for exhibitors and keeps going up. I know some shops that went to that show and stopped because it just too costly.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

26 minutes ago, barrows said:

While I do not know the average age, I have attended RMAF for at least the last 12 years or so, and indeed in the last few years I have seen more and more younger folks attending.  I am talking 35 and under types.  While for sure there are more folks over 40 than under, the increase in younger people is encouraging, and RMAF has a special section for affordable audio, and of course the headphone exhibits as well.

Good to note. Does anyone know the deal with CanJam NOT being held there this year? I was thinking about going this year but when I heard CanJam was not going to be an attraction, I decided to save my energy and resources. 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:12 PM, barrows said:

True, but it still way more affordable than CES used to be, or Munich is for US based companies.  I have not priced it out, but I would also expect RMAF to be more affordable than Axpona in Chicago, just considering the the relative expense of the two cities for hotels, food, transportation, etc.

As the so called Industry Day on Thursday was a bust for every Exhibitor I talked to, I would hope RMAF will go back to being a 3 day show again.  It appeared to me that no press showed up on Thursday at all.  One less day for exhibitors would save considerable expense.

Sonore attends RMAF as our single show, partly because I am local to the event, and we can save quite a bit of money by my being able to hand deliver most of our equipment to the site, and I can attend without any airfare as well.

I am really happy about the new venue, as the possibility for good sound quality in this hotel is much greater than at the previous venue.

CES is dead for audio. So, I would not even worry about that show.

In talking with a friend, who owns a store (A Wilson dealer), and used to exhibit at RMAF, the expense there is killing the exhibitors. It is double the price of AXPONA.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects