IGNORED

RMAF 2019 Official Thread

49 minutes ago, botrytis said:

CES is dead for audio. So, I would not even worry about that show.

In talking with a friend, who owns a store (A Wilson dealer), and used to exhibit at RMAF, the expense there is killing the exhibitors. It is double the price of AXPONA.

If the cost of RMAF is killing them, I believe there are larger issues. 

P.S. I’m sure the rates at Motel 6 are really low. But, who wants to go there. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

CES is dead for audio. So, I would not even worry about that show.

I am well aware of that, although, of course this was not always the case...  I was only using it as an example.

I do not really understand dealers exhibiting at audio shows like these, as they already have a physical presence in the region and the ability to demo gear at any time.  Nevertheless, there were plenty of dealers exhibiting at RMAF this year.

It makes more sense for audio companies to me, to be able to make relationships with enthusiasts, and spread the stoke of good sounding gear.  Attending shows is also good to de-bunk much of the audio mythology which way to often is spread about on the Internet; things are much more real in person!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 9/12/2019 at 10:12 PM, barrows said:

True, but it still way more affordable than CES used to be, or Munich is for US based companies.  I have not priced it out, but I would also expect RMAF to be more affordable than Axpona in Chicago, just considering the the relative expense of the two cities for hotels, food, transportation, etc.

As the so called Industry Day on Thursday was a bust for every Exhibitor I talked to, I would hope RMAF will go back to being a 3 day show again.  It appeared to me that no press showed up on Thursday at all.  One less day for exhibitors would save considerable expense.

Sonore attends RMAF as our single show, partly because I am local to the event, and we can save quite a bit of money by my being able to hand deliver most of our equipment to the site, and I can attend without any airfare as well.

I am really happy about the new venue, as the possibility for good sound quality in this hotel is much greater than at the previous venue.

Well, My friend said RMAF was at least double AXPONA, for exhibitors. Plus it costs more to fly in, etc.

AXPONA wants to be the Munich show of NA.I know peeps on the board for AXPONA.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

26 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Well, My friend said RMAF was at least double AXPONA, for exhibitors. Plus it costs more to fly in, etc.

I am not sure what you mean here on expenses?

How can flying to Chicago be any different than flying to Denver?  From where?  And Chicago is a much more expensive city than Denver when it comes to expenses (restaurants and lodging)?

Now the new venue for RMAF is more expensive than previously, but it is also much, much nicer a place to go!  More pleasant hotel, and the rooms actually have much, much better sound and are much easier to set up a decent sounding system in.

Anyway, this is really getting off topic!  Sorry folks...  The only thing I will say on this in conclusion, is that as an actual Exhibitor at RMAF this year, we (Sonore) prefer the new venue despite the additional expense.  I just want to see it go back to three days, as that is enough. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am not sure what you mean here on expenses?

How can flying to Chicago be any different than flying to Denver?  From where?  And Chicago is a much more expensive city than Denver when it comes to expenses (restaurants and lodging)?

Now the new venue for RMAF is more expensive than previously, but it is also much, much nicer a place to go!  More pleasant hotel, and the rooms actually have much, much better sound and are much easier to set up a decent sounding system in.

Anyway, this is really getting off topic!  Sorry folks...  The only thing I will say on this in conclusion, is that as an actual Exhibitor at RMAF this year, we (Sonore) prefer the new venue despite the additional expense.  I just want to see it go back to three days, as that is enough. 

The cost of being an exhibitor. The room cost, even at the last venue was more.

Remember AXPONA is not in Chicago proper, It is in the suburbs near O'Hare. I mean my hotel for Next year's AXPONA, I have the room already for Thursday through Monday is 79 a night - the hotel is 1/4 mile away.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

10 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Remember AXPONA is not in Chicago proper, It is in the suburbs near O'Hare. I mean my hotel for Next year's AXPONA, I have the room already for Thursday through Monday is 79 a night - the hotel is 1/4 mile away.

Room cost is a small portion of the overall expense of a show for an exhibitor.  RMAF is outside the city of Denver as well (about 20 minutes to downtown).  I am well aware of where O'Hare and Axpona are in relation to Chicago proper.  Although getting from Axpona to downtown Chicago is a little more problematic than getting form RMAF to downtown Denver traffic wise.

But also consider, that many exhibitors will be going into the city for dinner with distributors/dealers at least once.  A trip to Chicago, or Denver, without going into the actual city for dinner with clients would be unlikely for most (and a shame, as both cities offer some excellent dining).  Attending a show is a totally different thing from exhibiting.  There are certainly more affordable rooms to stay in for attending RMAF is one wants that experience.  .

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

We stayed a 5-minute drive from the Gaylord in a 2-bed 2-bath suite with full kitchen for $200/night, so $100 each. Does something like that exist near AXPONA, and if so, what is the cost?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

We stayed a 5-minute drive from the Gaylord in a 2-bed 2-bath suite with full kitchen for $200/night, so $100 each. Does something like that exist near AXPONA, and if so, what is the cost?

Yes and cheaper than 200 a night. Just need to look. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Just now, botrytis said:

Yes and cheaper than 200 a night. Just need to look. 

I stayed right behind the Axpona site at Wyndham Garden Schaumburg for $139/night.  A 5 minute walk around the pond and thru the parking lot.

Personally, for RMAF I'd throw up a canvas tent in a natural park with excellent view of the mountains for free.  Leaving to attend a show at Motel 6 would somehow not factor into this scenario. 

I'd certainly consider staying at one in CO, but not around Chicago.  Everyone has their limits.

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

I stayed right behind the Axpona site at Wyndham Garden Schaumburg for $139/night.  A 5 minute walk around the pond and thru the parking lot.

Yeah, I was mainly referring to 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and full kitchen. Is that going for $139/night at the Wyndham?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Deleted- duplicate.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, barrows said:

Hahaha!  She was ecstatic, and has seen KC before also.  She is a working musician.  We both had copious tears streaming down our faces and dripping off our chins during "Epitaph"!

I am very lucky...

I understand the emotion regarding Epitaph. My absolute favorite Crimson piece. But I have difficulty listening to anyone but Greg Lake (now so sadly gone) sing it. Well, I will give John Wetton credit for trying. Yet he too left us long before his time. 

JC