IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

+1

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

Alex, am very interested in your reporting on the EtherREGEN progress.  When I see pictures of the board in the LPS-1  I am intrigued by the complexity of managing the super-caps. I am also amazed at what it does for helping the sound in systems.  I look at the JS-2, and it seems "simple".  I know that is also relative. I appreciate it for what it does.  Both of those devices are priced reasonably for what they do.  (more than)

I am getting the vibe that the EtherREGEN is more complicated than some folks might have guessed.  I have also seen several other small (and large) electronics manufacturers talk about parts supply issues and quality.  That part alone is tough work.  Designing and developing test equipment is way above and beyond what others do.

I for one appreciate the openness of communications from UpTone.  Thank you much for keeping us updated.  I will be saving my "pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters".

Bob

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

Alex,

Here’s another appreciative customer. I know you don’t take pre-orders but I’m ready to fund your first run. I’m sure there are others too!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Hi.

I am a firm believer in the benefits that for the SQ, has the decrease of noise in the ethernet lines. My opinion as a potential client (perhaps not shared by all), is that within reason, do not skimp on the pieces that add to the EtherRegen, if they consider that they improve the SQ. Naturally that will increase the price, but with the price that our systems already have, I will gladly pay it if the SQ increases.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

I hope this device will not be too expensive (just a few hundred euro, or so) and sound at least as good as other devices already on the market. If this is the case it will be a hit among audiophiles, I assume. I will certainly never buy the SOtM switch, because it is far to expensive for a downstream device. How about others? For Uptone Audio it’s a chance to make a breakthrough, but only with a very, very competitive price point.

7 minutes ago, thyname said:

Just a silly question (please delete if inappropriate here): why would this Ethernet Switch would work better than fiber optics converters? Provided the one downstream converter is powered by a nice / clean LPS of course.

Certainly niot a silly question; I think you’re right, it will certainly not be better, but it is just an alternative in case you want or need to stay with a Ethernet connection. The GigaFOILv4 in-line Ethernet filter is a very interesting alternative too, in this respect. So, the new Uptone switch need to be very good and cheap!

On 11/30/2018 at 6:12 AM, Superdad said:

100Mbps is more than twice the data rate of even DSD1024!  So no problem. Know of any DACs that run that?  9_9

The new Holo Audio Spring2 should be able.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

8 hours ago, nonesup said:

I am a firm believer in the benefits that for the SQ, has the decrease of noise in the ethernet lines. My opinion as a potential client (perhaps not shared by all), is that within reason, do not skimp on the pieces that add to the EtherRegen, if they consider that they improve the SQ. Naturally that will increase the price, but with the price that our systems already have, I will gladly pay it if the SQ increases.

Don’t worry, we are not skimping on any elements in the EtherREGEN! (Though I admit to being a bit price conscious, selection between two performance-equivalent parts usually comes down to which is more likely to be available in the required quantities at production time.)

1 hour ago, jos said:

I hope this device will not be too expensive (just a few hundred euro, or so) and sound at least as good as other devices already on the market. If this is the case it will be a hit among audiophiles, I assume. I will certainly never buy the SOtM switch, because it is far to expensive for a downstream device. How about others? For Uptone Audio it’s a chance to make a breakthrough, but only with a very, very competitive price point.

We have a lot of reasons to believe that EtherREGEN will accomplish the goal of near-complete isolation and quality clocking—using true digital isolator chips, something nobody else is doing.  And while later on we hope to back up our work with measurements showing downstream (post DAC) effect, it really will be up to users to compare and decide if our product amounts to a “breakthrough” as you put it.

On the matter of price:

I have stated our desire to keep the retail price in the $495-$595 range (won’t know exactly until the final BoM costs are tallied; we already know that $400 is impossible).  

But comparing an UpTone retail price to that of most other manufacturers is really not a fair way to compare value.  And what I mean by that does set aside subjective/objective performance. I am speaking strictly of parts cost versus retail price.

Most firms—with larger staffs, a marketing budget, and dealers/distributors to support—set retail prices at least 5-6x parts cost (sure some go well beyond that, but such is more rare than some cynics would have you believe).  The most I have ever set the retail price for an UpTone product is 2.5x parts cost (that includes custom aluminum enclosure, accessories and packaging—but excluding labor cost).

So there is that... B|

1 hour ago, thyname said:

Just a silly question (please delete if inappropriate here): why would this Ethernet Switch would work better than fiber optics converters? Provided the one downstream converter is powered by a nice / clean LPS of course.

While a fiber media converter will provide complete galvanic isolation from the upstream connections, that is really about all it accomplishes.

There is still much to consider from the fiber back to copper Ethernet and on into whatever critical DAC-connected device you are feeding.  The FMCs we have looked at are filled with cheap noisy regulators, they do nothing to isolate from the processing of the SFP-caged module, there is no isolation after the switch chip (or whatever form of Ethernet processor they happen to employ), no improvement to clocking, and no focus on output signal integrity.

EtherREGEN does focus on all those things, plus offers one fiber media port and 4 Gigabit copper ports—in addition to our super-optimized 10/100 “output” port.

So we will look forward to reports comparing our switch to FMCs.  We honestly do not know how significant the difference will be for how many of you. But my personal experience with FMCs versus even the special Cisco Catalyst (that @lmitche turned me on to) suggests many folks are in for a treat.

1 hour ago, jos said:

Certainly niot a silly question; I think you’re right, it will certainly not be better, but it is just an alternative in case you want or need to stay with a Ethernet connection. The GigaFOILv4 in-line Ethernet filter is a very interesting alternative too, in this respect. So, the new Uptone switch need to be very good and cheap!

Those single port GigaFOIL devices, starting at $475 (https://www.djmelectronics.com/ethernet-emi-rfi-filter.html) are fiber-optic based isolators, strictly focused on EMI.  As detailed elsewhere, we are taking a broader approach.  

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

EtherREGEN does focus on all those things, plus offers one fiber media port and 4 Gigabit copper ports—in addition to our super-optimized 10/100 “output” port.

So we will look forward to reports comparing our switch to FMCs.  We honestly do not know how significant the difference will be for how many of you. But my personal experience with FMCs versus even the special Cisco Catalyst (that @lmitche turned me on to) suggests many folks are in for a treat.

I have a Ubiquity router with SFP port that I plan to feed a etherREGEN with, got two 1310nm SFP and Corning Clearcurve single mode fiber waiting for the switch. Connect my NUC with ROCK to one of the gigabit ports and use the clean one to feed my SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo, I hope that this will be a good solution with galvanic isolation from the rest of my network in my house and all of the equipment in my stereo only connected to one power circuit.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I do not expect it to be of similar quality to other manufacturers. I already have an AQvox switch (which certainly improved the sound), I look for something that is much better than my AQvox. I have high hopes that Etheregen will get it.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

2 hours ago, nonesup said:

I do not expect it to be of similar quality to other manufacturers. I already have an AQvox switch (which certainly improved the sound), I look for something that is much better than my AQvox. I have high hopes that Etheregen will get it.

You better put that one for sale quicly, as i think it will have zero value very soon ?

Actually I would be surprised if you where able to get even $100 right now. 

12 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

my question is about "using true digital isolator chips"

these are pretty common devices, so (w/o disclosing trade secrets) are you using something special, or is the circuit topology they are embedded in or...??

Aside from there being many types (some are much better than others, and what you follow them with matters a lot as well), I can tell you that NOBODY else is currently using digital isolators on Ethernet signal lines.  There are reasons for that ('cause its not easy), but now I definitely will stop short of further elaboration. 9_9

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

my question is about "using true digital isolator chips"

these are pretty common devices, so (w/o disclosing trade secrets) are you using something special, or is the circuit topology they are embedded in or...??

Let's just say that all of the parts can be had from places like Digikey, but we are using them together in ways not normally considered for these components.

Unfortunately many of these components are pretty expensive. The synergy between devices simply does not work with less expensive devices. We are not spending LARGE sums to have custom made components, but the ones we do need are not cheap.

John S.

16 hours ago, Superdad said:

Aside from there being many types (some are much better than others, and what you follow them with matters a lot as well), I can tell you that NOBODY else is currently using digital isolators on Ethernet signal lines.  There are reasons for that ('cause its not easy), but now I definitely will stop short of further elaboration9_9

Yes, on the one hand I (selfishly) love how open you are in sharing info with your customers and members of this forum. 

On the other hand, if I am being honest, I sometimes feel like a nervous mother hen, worried that you might tip off competitors too soon  ?

I have no doubt your competitors will be buying and then dissecting the EtherRegen immediately after its release in order to develop competing products (that cost more... cough, cough), but make those folks wait! 

Written with "smiley face" intent.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

4 hours ago, Bones13 said:

Heh, well we are an impatient lot to be sure.

My DLink hub will do for now. I know I won’t overpay for a consumer hub that has been hot rodded with a few caps, and linear power supply.

I plan on waiting for the reviews on the etherRegen and the recently released, much more expensive competition. I don’t happen to need an 8 port hub in that location. Mine only feeds the Bricasti, Roku, and Oppo 4K disc player.

In general: 8 Ports will be best.

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Best how?

I believe @jos was only talking about regular switches, not the EtherRegen: I remember John Swenson said something about those having "coupled transformers" (or something like that) so to avoid magnetic interferences he recommended getting 8 port switches and only plugging devices every other port

have a great time with your family, Alex :)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

12 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

I believe @jos was only talking about regular switches, not the EtherRegen: I remember John Swenson said something about those having "coupled transformers" (or something like that) so to avoid magnetic interferences he recommended getting 8 port switches and only plugging devices every other port

have a great time with your family, Alex :)

Indeed, thanks for the clarification ?

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

P.S. We are about to close for vacation (leaving our teen/college sons home and taking my wife to ski in Banff, Alberta for our 30th wedding anniversary--we honeymooned there in summer 1988!).  Tomorrow (Wednesday, December 12th) is the last day for web orders to be placed (for UltraCap LPS-1.2, ISO REGEN, or bundles of those) and still have them shipped before my trip.  

Congrats, my wife and I are only 4 years behind you!