IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

14 minutes ago, barrows said:

Good quality fiber cable is fairly inexpensive, so it is probably worth it to purchase something nice.  The termination process for fiber cable is very important, so I would suggest that one purchases fiber cable from a trusted supplier who know how to properly terminate it.

Any suggestions???

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

18 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Any suggestions???

I did a little research on this awhile back, and my preliminary findings were that Corning "Clearcurve" OM3 fiber would be more than adequate.  But I have no experience with it.  @jabbr is probably a good person to ask about this as he has direct experience.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

24 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Any suggestions???

I will use Ubiquiti SFP module UF-MM-1G (Ubiquiti router feeding fiber to the new etherREGEN) and Ubiquiti LC-LC multimode fibercable.

UF-MM-1G_senetic.jpg.9cc934c4980824265f9e59af23c3f2e1.jpg

37411603_2625291800.jpg.7025afd573e3ad2e9ab172358a090b6e.jpg

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
41 minutes ago, Lobbster said:

Need to know which SFP module series is compatable - I had to get separate modules for Netgear vs Cisco - but they looked the same to me... 

Errr, it occurs this isn't correct - SFP is SFP - the main thing is to select the connector type & nm rating matched to cable. LC-LC seems most common, not sure as far as nm ratings go. But this is probably where we go OT from the switch discussion. FWIW I use the 850nm, but I've heard 1310 is better in some applications....

3 minutes ago, Arpiben said:

Basically:

- 850 nm Single Mode Fiber and associated SFPs for distances less than 500m

- 1310nm Multimode Fiber and associated SFPs for distances up to 10Km

SFPs termination are LC -> LC_LC fiber termination.

In industry there is no 'audiophile' kind of fibers (useless)

Hahaha!  How long will it take before there is fiber cable from AudioQuest, etc...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, Arpiben said:

Basically:

- 850 nm Single Mode Fiber and associated SFPs for distances less than 500m

- 1310nm Multimode Fiber and associated SFPs for distances up to 10Km

Correcting the inversion between single Mode and Multimode in my previous post.Sorry for that. (No single malt involved in the mistake)

Basically:

- 850 nm Multimode Fiber and associated SFPs for distances less than 500m

- 1310nm Single Mode Fiber and associated SFPs for distances up to 10Km

@Superdad will it be possible to wallmount the switch? 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
37 minutes ago, octaviars said:

@Superdad will it be possible to wallmount the switch? 

We'll have to think about that one.  Usually manufacturers put keyhole-shapped cutouts on the bottom side of the case for wall mounting.  It's not much problem for us to specify that with our enclosure company (though they do not currently do any milling the extrusions for us--just to the front/back, so I'd have to get a quote).  But depending upon which slot of the extrusion (top/bottom) we slide the board into (and thus which way the end-cap milling is done for the jacks, etc.) will determine how close the PCB is to the bottom of the case.  Might be too close and risky to have people hanging the case on screws that might touch and short out the PCB.

Every hardware store sells a variety of super-strong Velcro-like attachment tapes, that it's probably best that those who want to hang their units use something like that.

19 hours ago, austinpop said:

Perfect. Well done! 

I will probably hit you up for 75Ω when the time comes, because there are more choices of good 75Ω cables, and I have more 75Ω ports on my Ref-10. 

But choice is best. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of impedance. Wait... ?

And who knows, maybe we will make 75 ohm the default for production after all! 9_9

Or we could delete the BNC altogether just to make a point.  Though I'm not much for cutting off my nose to...x-D

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

The complete answer would take a bit to explain and I am rushing around getting ready to leave town with family to visit family--while first getting some orders shipped--so here is the very short answer.

The ground terminal won't need to be used unless one is powering the EtherREGEN from either:

a) A power supply that does not have its output -ve (zero-volt "ground") shunted to AC mains ground (typical SMPS or even some linear supplies);

b) One of our UltraCap supplies (or a battery), as the output of these are fully "floating."

Every EtherREGEN will ship with the UpTone-branded 36W SMPS (same as what we have been shipping with all new-generation UltraCap LPS-1.2 units) and that is already internally "ground-shunted.  So when powering the EtherREGEN with that--assuming you plug its AC cord into a grounded socket--it will not at all be necessary to attach anything to the ground terminal of the EtherREGEN.

The part I do not have time to get into (and we even have to decide how much to reveal) is that the both the Ethernet magnetics and the PHY chips for EtherREGEN have been carefully chosen for, among other parameters, the way they are wound and wired, such that they both preserve some isolation between ports and that they block the path of high-source-impedance leakage that might come in on any Ethernet cable from the rest of your network connections.

[Note that the passive isolation I refer to above is not at all related to the sophisticated active digital isolators that takes place across a full data and power "moat" before the special über-clean 100Mbps "output" port (which is where one's DAC or streamer/renderer is meant to be attached.)]

Excellent?. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm starting to get very excited by amount of thought and engineering you and John have put into this and I'm sure it's gonna sound amazing too ?

These days I am using singlemode more than multimode (both work) because the singlemode SFP modules use better electronics. I am also not using FMCs too much, rather hardware with SFP(+) endpoints ... note that you can get Copper RJ-45 SFP modules so easy to integrate copper and fiber networks.

fs.com is a good resource.

If anyone is worried about which brand of fiberoptic cable to use, first be sure to use singlemode SFPs ;) That said I've always been a fan of Corning. Nothing better on the planet!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Hi.

I have an LPSU with a 12 volt output. and 6 Amp. You could connect to EtherRegen, or 6 Amp is too much.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

7 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Upstream is optical: no leakage can get through the optical so no need for grounding, it doesn't hurt if it is grounded, it just doesn't need it.

Hi John

If someone were to use a pair of EtherREGEN's as a pair of FMC's... with an LPS-1.2 on the most downstream FMC... 

...How does this leakage compare with someone using a single EtherREGEN + Uptone grounded SMPS, in your own personal 'preliminary' measurements so far... I'm not asking for published measurements yet, but I'm sure you've compared in your own personal measurements?

i.e. is the isolation as good as optical, in your early findings?