IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

100Mbps is more than twice the data rate of even DSD1024!  So no problem. Know of any DACs that run that?  9_9

Not yet, not yet. But 5 years ago I couldn’t even imagine people would ever be playing DSD512. But in 5 years time maybe the EtherRegen 2.0 will be out then. ?

Well, being a Welles nut ... I’m now gonna get 2x ERs.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

21 minutes ago, Ultrarunner said:

I really wish Chris would permanently ban him and several others who won’t trust their ears (or can’t hear), and make it their mission to mock audiophiles. I don’t post much, and avoid a number of threads because of these people. I’m sure there are plenty of others who would participate more without them. 

I don't care for the man, he conducts himself poorly. Still, we should always remember: "First they came for the communists...Then came for me." 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Thanks, but hopefully it's $$ and not $$$.

(At least compared to the competition—of which there there will be little to none on a technical basis.)

:D

No competition at all. You switch will not be just a switch with audio grade caps and a better clock. Like any of that makes any real difference.

What will be the input voltage? 

Sorry the search on my phone is failing me... 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

16 hours ago, diecaster said:

If you already have optical cable run, I would certainly use it between your existing switch and the new EtherREGEN switch. But, there is no advantage to running new optical cable between the switches. Cat5e will be just as good. 

I’m sure it is. As the analog, digital, and power cables continue to multiply in my room, anything I can replace with optical (while not adversely affecting sound quality) is a preference.

example is the 20’ optical HDMI cable I’m using. Running with it are stereo cables to the amps, and from the cable box to the pre. Changing that (shielded) digital cable to optical makes me feel better. I could not hear a difference, to be clear though.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Alex, am very interested in your reporting on the EtherREGEN progress.  When I see pictures of the board in the LPS-1  I am intrigued by the complexity of managing the super-caps. I am also amazed at what it does for helping the sound in systems.  I look at the JS-2, and it seems "simple".  I know that is also relative. I appreciate it for what it does.  Both of those devices are priced reasonably for what they do.  (more than)

I am getting the vibe that the EtherREGEN is more complicated than some folks might have guessed.  I have also seen several other small (and large) electronics manufacturers talk about parts supply issues and quality.  That part alone is tough work.  Designing and developing test equipment is way above and beyond what others do.

I for one appreciate the openness of communications from UpTone.  Thank you much for keeping us updated.  I will be saving my "pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters".

Bob