IGNORED

The fact that Atkinson showed up here

....Stereophile is a subjective review magazine that deals mostly with high-end audio equipment. Does Harman, Focal, Rega or Nelson Pass care about Stereophile's stance on MQA? Do boutique manufacturers of 200-lbs SET amps have a stake in MQA? I would imagine most of Stereophile's readership buys $30+ hi-res albums and $50+ audiophile vinyl releases and don't consider an inexpensive Tidal streaming account the key part of their system's performance.

Let's be real for half a second -- the real reason why you hate audiophile is because it deals with high-end audio. The MQA angle is just an excuse.

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Isn't it just a pseudo-technical way of saying, "what the artist intended"?

I don't know.  I would say "controlling all the stages between the input of the A/D converter to the output of the D/A converter"

That's elegant from a royalties point of view.

19 minutes ago, crenca said:

He goes into a bit more detail here:

https://www.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/messages/9/90555.html

I won't argue if "deperate" is the right word.  No matter how you look at it JA has more than a bit of egg on the face.  IMO the reason is that he/they (i.e. the majority audiophile press) don't have a necessary and critical distance from the industry.  Most of the time, this fact does not matter as much because when dealing with speakers/boxes etc. They are all just yet another product and by itself an overly positive review can't do much damage.  With MQA, which promises to fix this recording chain problem (I should note it is a problem from an audiophile perspective), the overpromise really snookered JA and the rest of them and revealed just how deep they are into the industry perspective and how distanced from and perplexing they find their very own customers priorities (assuming of course that they consider their readers their customers)...

The elephant in the room with JA and MQA is the longevity of audiophilia.  The observation that the number of exhibitors and "audiophile press" rivals the actual consumer attendees at audio shows is a potent one.  The "establishment" (JA, et al.) seems to have adopted a "whistling past the graveyard" approach.  Perhaps they're clinging to the 50+ demographic because they know that's the only demographic that's reading their content and buying the things they advertise.

I  haven't put much stock into Establishment reviews because of the obvious relationships they have with manufacturers.  Like I said, it's the opposite of consumer advocacy IMHO.  While some might take this as an extreme position, I would trust more an amateur review from a person that paid full retail for an item before I would trust a pro that got it at a "pro" discount or for free.  In my opinion, there's far too little disclosure from the pros about what discounts they got for what audio gear they personally own.  It's an opportunity for corruption.

4 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

That you can think of an agonal frame only is telling.

Do you know the meaning of the words you used?

I really wish Chris would delete these threads that have a personal axe to grind.

Audio Asylum serves that purpose well & is one reason I haven't gone there in years.

3 hours ago, Norton said:

Agreed, this is getting to be playground stuff now with multiple negative threads, competitions to debunk articles before they are even published, references to "sides"' "supporters" and "shills" ( the latter apparently can only be  pro MQA for some reason) 

Interesting that according to (largely the same) critics, MQA can simultaneously be both 1. an apparently  small and financially failing concern pedalling vapourware and 2. A powerful sinister corporation with all the labels and audio media in its pocket.

And just for the standard absolution,  no, I have no connection with the audio industry, have never heard and don't own or intend to own MQA hardware or software.

Norton, to be a shill you have to be on the side promoting or selling a product or service. Stereophile telegraphed what they are going to say about MQA long before the article was announced and John Atkinson said he hoped the series would be persuasive. Why wait until the articles are published to announce a contest to debunk them? People need time to go over the extensive information about MQA Ltd’s claims and what they are claiming this month to write rebuttals to Jim Austin’s articles.

As for sides it seems you are either on the Bob Stuart (whom I’ve met) Charles Hansen (who was a friend) side or the Rob Watts (who I’ve talked extensively with) John Saiu (whom I’ve met) side. I prefer Rob and John’s side. But just like the American tax code there can be two sides with substantial authority and Charley Hansen did make a good argument for his side to me.

The labels made a hedging transaction licensing MQA and owning just over 20% of MQA Ltd not the “buy in” MQA and the American press are touting. It was easy for Bob Stuart to put the audio media in his pocket at first. They wanted a new format to promote and Bob Stuart gave them one. If you have been paying attention Hi-Fi News slipped out of MQA’s pocket.

Apparently JA said ,  "Not only that, but there was palpability to the sound, a transparency to the original event, that I have almost never heard before...."

Ummm ... that's what happens when a system, any system, gets to a certain level of competence. This was possible in the mid 1980's if the user took enough care to sort things out - which happens extremely rarely, of course.

I keep recalling a video of a presentation by JA, of an ambitious system, where at point it reproduces a sample of a real life sound maker. And JA then proceeds to use one of these devices, for real, in the clip to demonstrate something. Ummm - the system was a miserable fail in getting that sound anywhere near right, and this was obvious in the 'poor quality' Youtube clip.

If the sound is damaged on the path to being reproduced, then band aids like MQA may help, improve things - the alternative I prefer is to get the playback chain working right; an all round better solution, to me.

26 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

or the Rob Watts (who I’ve talked extensively with) John Saiu (whom I’ve met) side. I prefer Rob and John’s side.

I've seen Robs 2017 RMAF talk on YouTube. He never mentions MQA but he discusses his preference for keeping the pre-ringing as is - as it's important for the DAC to reproduce the transients of the analogue signal as correctly as possible.

Assuming I have Rob's gist correct above (anyone please correct me if i'm wrong), is John's position the same or similar?

Just now, Em2016 said:

I've seen Robs 2017 RMAF talk on YouTube. He never mentions MQA but he discusses his preference for keeping the pre-ringing as is - as it's important for the DAC to reproduce the transients of the analogue signal as correctly as possible.

Assuming I have Rob's gist correct above (anyone please correct me if i'm wrong), is John's position the same or similar?

John Saiu's and others I didn't name position are the same/similar. 

Did you see both seminars or just the first one?  

Just now, Rt66indierock said:

John Saiu's and others I didn't name position are the same/similar. 

Did you see both seminars or just the first one?  

Cool, thanks. When he started talking about pre-ringing, I immediately thought MQA. Nice to see I've learnt a thing or two from this forum.

I've only seen this video linked below. 

4 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Cool, thanks. When he started talking about pre-ringing, I immediately thought MQA. Nice to see I've learnt a thing or two from this forum.

I've only seen this video linked below. 

He also put on a DAC Masterclass seminar on Sunday. This was the Saturday seminar I'm just off camera to the left.