IGNORED

Amir at ASR claims Uptone won't sell the ISO regen to him...

39 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

This is for those who like challenges.

C0000034.thumb.png.7bc67263006a88daa1bda4278a35e112.png

This is 15 minutes long, the phosphor of the scope never deleting. Btw mind the horizontal scale which is meant to show the length of the audio word (so this is the output of Jabbr's DAC, so to speak).

The below shows that this is 13ps of p-p jitter but it's a moot thing because I use the trace width to measure, and the width is 13ps "thick" and can't be more thin. Call it scope limits. But this should really be well under 1ps p-p.

C0000013.thumb.png.5f06daeb8cbab3d0b1bce3c5a5845bee.png

Btw this is not from USB isolation; this is the internal isolation in I2S.

One of these days I will make some plots from USB itself, behind the USB isolation (our own).

People, if this would be so easy to measure, why don't we see these plots anywhere from manufacturers ?

Answer : not per se because the outcome is bad. But the gear is expensive ...

Here's a bonus :

5932f3944fd85_C0000001-201KHz.thumb.png.0ab3d457804892be2958f6881ca284a3.png

210ps p-p of jitter. What changed ? this is without in-DAC isolation ... (this is data impeded jitter)

What exactly is being measured in those graphs? What scope are you using?

24 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I would be careful with this.

The FPGA shows how much jitter ?

:o

We can measure that ;)

So there is this whole field of digital phase comparison needed for phase array radars, GPS systems, SDR (software defined radar) and these are one of the main drivers of high end FPGA. 

In any case John Miles is a real guy who made a real system that's been tested against everything from HP née Agilent nee Keysight and got picked up by Microsemi so at least some people think he knows what he's doing ;)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I'll call this lost weekend something else

None of your customers consider this a lost weekend.  You're doing what we want.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

That's right, I forgot that for some they need to see one of these: Tek465_11_happy-scope.thumb.jpg.c813eb208a722e3f57408c6cebefda72.jpg

Before they trust their ears.  Have fun with that!

If you aren't going to trust your ears you need one of these:

TDS794D.thumb.jpg.98bcb1b4ad8b455e239e93c9bc03758e.jpg

and 

hp3048_rack-b.jpg

:cool:

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Is the marketplace not filled with audio companies offering rafts of afforable-to-pricey add-ons, cables, sources, DACs, etc. for which no measurements are offered and for which far more outrageous claims of SQ improvement are made? Where is your outrage over them? 

You may want to take a look at the two threads where I tested $699 3 foot Ethernet and $340 12 foot Ethernet cable.

What DAC can I order, in conjunction with a regenerator, to hear this?

26 minutes ago, wgscott said:

What would be of great benefit would be to depersonalize this issue.

If folks could agree to do that, then the next step would be to determine what measurement or set of measurements both "sides" of the debate could agree in advance would be decisive either way.

The third step would be to find some competent, neutral party that has access to the equipment, to cary out the experiments.

Quite logical and rational.  Except, that is not the issue here.  Is it ever at CA?  Amir wishes to purchase and to make measurements of the ISO, as he did with the original Regen.  Alex says he will not sell to Amir for undisclosed PERSONAL reasons, simultaneously claiming he is OK with measurements of any kind.  

So, the disconnect is not a logical one and is seemingly more complex, based on secret inside information, difficult as that may be to fathom.  

So, kids, stay close to your radios.  Will Amir snatch an ISO Regen and submit it to his torturous measurements?  Or, will Sir Alex, and his noble Squire Swenson, save the galaxy from the evil bully and troublemaker?

5 hours ago, mav52 said:

Got to agree.  If a manufacturer has confidence in their product, what better way than have a third party with the necessary instruments "check it out".   Results are just that, results.

Independent of any measurements, how they are taken, with what, or by whom...

I asked about a return privilege because that would allow me to listen to this device with my DAC, in my system and return it if the rather impressive claims are not met.

As one person noted, there is nothing on the web site stating a return is allowed.  That suggests a lack of confidence in the product.

22 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Alex says he will not sell to Amir for undisclosed PERSONAL reasons

Careful, you're getting too presidential there, and not helping anything :(  Alex clearly stated his reasons a number of times, in this thread !!

It pays to pay attention  :)

56 minutes ago, wgscott said:

What would be of great benefit would be to depersonalize this issue.

If folks could agree to do that, then the next step would be to determine what measurement or set of measurements both "sides" of the debate could agree in advance would be decisive either way.

The third step would be to find some competent, neutral party that has access to the equipment, to cary out the experiments.

First step -- absolutely necessary

Second step -- Entirely agree -- at the very least we might discuss & agree upon a reasonable set of tests

Third step is harder because the person or organization doing the testing needs to be funded and therin lie the issues with impartiality 

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

We've already had independent blind testing by two people (I was one) in which the test design most closely resembling the production version of the ISO Regen was decisively chosen in a few minutes of listening.

So, assuming this is valid with a larger number of evaluators, a proper measurement would be able to distinguish something that is audible. eg if there are phase error differences that would lend support to the proposition that altering phase error is audible.