IGNORED

Amir at ASR claims Uptone won't sell the ISO regen to him...

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If others wish do not wish to accept plainly heard differences until they see someone produce some measurement that means something to them at the output of their DAC, that is fine.  But staring at a few spikes on a jitter plot is not going to tell you if the music is going to sound more real or not.  So sad to see such a subset of the audiophile populous is still stuck in the rut of not using there own, evolution-tuned test gear affixed to their heads.  They are not hard to use and the process can be quite pleasant. :D

As I offered and done in the past for the Amber Regen, why don't you send me an ISO Regen to be measured properly at DAC output with dynamic signal (instead of static tones)?!

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Doesn't have anything to do with having a degree, and having the Analyzer doesn't 

mean you know how to use it properly.

No it doesn't have anything to do with knowing what your doing or talking about. And certainly nothing to do with having the best and most applicable measuring equipment. I don't think Superdad could show him how to use the AP since he doesn't even own one.  

Are you serious Dog  :confused:

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Won't happen because there is nothing to be gained.  If you find a real difference, people who were buying it without that are still buying it.  If you find no difference, it could hurt his business a little (though probably not).  So with trouble keeping up with orders he isn't taking any blind tests nor worrying about any measurements.  The only important measures are those related to this:  $

If you can prove that with some systems there can be an improvement in SQ, you can shut up critics who claim that only worsening is possible.

22 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Did Alex run over your dog or something? He doesn't deserve these kinds of comments. He's in business to make money, but in my dealings with him, money has never seemed to be the overriding concern. The concern has always been with the quality of the products and customer satisfaction.

Stating the obvious.  Don't have a problem with someone making money.  Everyone should. He did renege on doing a blind test when someone took him up on it.  Again, he has nothing to gain from that, and could only lose.  Any smart business person would turn it down.  He did. 

Important measures are dollars, as for audio measures they are unimportant to his business venture or in satisfying his customers.  Those are not in conflict in a case like this.  So what I stated is not in conflict with his concern being his customer satisfaction.  Those go together. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

9 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Nice dodge......I don't know and I bet you don't know.

Uh, his ears. As in Alex should allow for someone to setup a blind testing rig.

Get a windows machine and two DAC's. Feed the DAC's output into a preamp with multiple inputs. One DAC has the regen and another not. Windows can feed both DAC's the same stream at the same time.

This would be single blind with someone doing the input switching. 

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Again this is not about measurements.  I am under zero obligation to sell our products to hostile people who seek only to defame us.

But as far as the most important and direct measure of a USB signal regenerating, an eye-pattern contains and reveals the all most important information: amplitude, jitter, noise, edge rates, timing error, etc.--those are the components of what is known as Signal Integrity.

Here is a short article about them: http://www.edn.com/design/test-and-measurement/4389368/Eye-Diagram-Basics-Reading-and-applying-eye-diagrams

Differences between USB cables are also revealed using with eye-pattern sweeps.  Here is the before and after with the ISO REGEN:

BEFORE:

5932429c6ddb5_LenovoUSBporteyepattern.thumb.jpg.ffe45e1fa0f8c7abb7ef05408ca24f4f.jpg

AFTER:

593242a631ed8_ISOREGENeyepattern.thumb.jpg.e1ad664f7ee03069f11dc092c61896da.jpg

Those are both clean eye patterns. A DAC should have zero issue extracting from either with minimal overhead. Show me the output of the DAC or let me fly out and see how you do with your sighted bias removed from the equation. 

As to the degree to which various DACs and their USB input are affected by variations in SI--and why that can have an effect on the DAC's overall ground plane and master clock--John has written extensively about that, and other (both DAC and external device) manufacturers have worked on the issue to improve their products. Just because the lay person does not grasp or acknowledge certain deeper engineering issues doe not mean they don't matter or exist.  

Alex, all your eye pattern plots prove is that the USB signal is improved from some poor USB port on some PC. That tells me nothing of the effect this device will have on SQ, since I don't know how or why this would translate into better SQ. Please explain this to me in "lay person" terms, or even in technical terms.

John Swenson stated that this device works the following way:

My current thinking on USB interface is that there are at LEAST three things that can degrade the sound coming from a DAC. All of these work by increasing the jitter on the clock feeding the DAC chip(s). This can happen in two different ways: increasing the jitter of the local clock itself, or modifying how the DAC chip receives the clock, which effectively increases the jitter INSIDE the DAC chip.

(highlight is mine)

As I understand this, these effects should be easily measurable at the output of the DAC. I don't buy the argument that this is impossible to measure due to variations in DACs. A measurement without and with the ISO REGEN should show an improvement in jitter. You can pick the worst possible DAC, or the best possible DAC, I don't care -- pick one that best demonstrates your device. Just show that the device does what is advertised.

Again this is not about measurements.  I am under zero obligation to sell our products to hostile people who seek only to defame us.

But as far as the most important and direct measure of a USB signal regenerating, an eye-pattern contains and reveals the all most important information: amplitude, jitter, noise, edge rates, timing error, etc.--those are the components of what is known as Signal Integrity.

Here is a short article about them: http://www.edn.com/design/test-and-measurement/4389368/Eye-Diagram-Basics-Reading-and-applying-eye-diagrams

Differences between USB cables are also revealed using with eye-pattern sweeps.  Here is the before and after with the ISO REGEN:

BEFORE:

5932429c6ddb5_LenovoUSBporteyepattern.thumb.jpg.ffe45e1fa0f8c7abb7ef05408ca24f4f.jpg

AFTER:

593242a631ed8_ISOREGENeyepattern.thumb.jpg.e1ad664f7ee03069f11dc092c61896da.jpg

As to the degree to which various DACs and their USB input are affected by variations in SI--and why that can have an effect on the DAC's overall ground plane and master clock--John has written extensively about that, and other (both DAC and external device) manufacturers have worked on the issue to improve their products.  Just because the lay person does not grasp or acknowledge certain deeper engineering issues doe not mean they don't matter or exist.  

If others wish do not wish to accept plainly heard differences until they see someone produce some measurement that means something to them at the output of their DAC, that is fine.  But staring at a few spikes on a jitter plot is not going to tell you if the music is going to sound more real or not.  So sad to see such a subset of the audiophile populous is still stuck in the rut of not using there own, evolution-tuned test gear affixed to their heads.  They are not hard to use and the process can be quite pleasant. :D

Thank you for the explanation.