IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

21 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Second, to accept that in spite of presenting a convincing argument, some people can never be persuaded to change their opinion.

That probably applies far more to the MQA crowd, including the Record companies ,than it does to the Audio press that several of you love to so mercilessly bash !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

25 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

It seems the writer, like a good little puppy, was eager to please his MQA cheerleading editor. Well done.  You can take your knee pads off now. To argue against the fact that MQA that there is anything other than obsessive product placement pushes the boundaries of believability. 

https://twitter.com/thebennyhill/status/1010138865863155712

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

You have to remember that at one time Stereophile endorsed green pens for CD's, among other "magic" tricks!  In fact, John Atkinson lent his name to advertising for one such green pen.

Many people did in fact find that there were differences that they found pleasing, however later research found that they resulted in an increase in  Jitter, which has since been demonstrated to be found pleasing to many people, as it may sometimes result in a larger soundstage with the appearance of added HF detail. (artificial) .

as far as I am concerned, Stereophile's imprimatur on any product is less than worthless.

And yours, Crenca's  and Slapowitz's are far more valuable/ reliable  ? :D:D:D

39 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

It IS the responsibility of publishers to go the extra mile to be skeptical when distributing information represented as fact, when it is actually mixed with opinion or (common knowledge.)  An incorrect fact can be mistakenly passed amongst the press (back and forth) until it becomes an incorrect common knowledge*.

It seems highly likely, that with many contributors, and probably the editorial staffs of some publications  now working from  home as well , that this desirable situation is less likely to happen in future.

47 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Heck, I just ripped a CD in iTunes to use in a classroom (from a textbook) and iTunes refuses to copy half the tracks to my phone due it not being available in my region. This even though I purchased the textbook. And this isn't even MQA! So the paranoia isn't far-fetched at all.

I can't edit my post to fix this for some reason, but it looks as if this was a bug, as it now syncs without issue.

1 hour ago, Currawong said:

I can't edit my post to fix this for some reason, but it looks as if this was a bug, as it now syncs without issue.

Windows has regularly frustrated me in trying to create demo CDs (not to be distributed) -- but I have ways around it.  However, when not even violating the fair use, they clamp down too much.  Pretty soon, we will be paying something like 10 cents every time we play a song for our own enjoyment. (might be exaggerated -- but in essence it is the reality.)

There are already 'helpful' broadcast protection schemes, and that should be enough.  The non-fair-use advocacy is trying to destroy every bit of freedom to get every last dollar (pound, Euro, etc) that they can get from us.

John

12 hours ago, Don Hills said:

How dare anyone question the words of someone who gets paid by the word?

More misstatements. No-one at Stereophile is paid by the word. In addition, as Art Dudley is a fulltime Stereophile employee, he gets paid regardless of how much or how little he writes.

And on the sound quality of MQA, a manufacturer was delivering a product for me to review recently. Once we had installed his product, he asked to hear some music. I played some of his files with the dCS Rossini DAC but then played him 3 versions of the same song (peak levels were identical): the original 24/88.2k master of one of my recordings; the MQA version unfolded by the Rossini; and the CD-resolution version from the commercial release. His ranking was the same as mine: CD was okay but somewhat uninvolving compared with the hi-rez master, with a less deep soundstage; the MQA version was tonally identical to the master but better resolved the soundstage with the acoustic objects within the stereo image having somewhat greater palpability.

And to address something in another posting, I don't remember ever endorsing the infamous CD StopLight green pen in an advertisement. I did write in Stereophile in 1990 about the effect the pen had on CDs, primarily looking for differences in the noisefloor, which would be due to changes in jitter - see https://www.stereophile.com/content/cd-jitter-errors-magic-more-measurements . It is possible, therefore, that someone had quoted something I  had written in an ad. Legally, that would be defined as "Fair Use" but not an actual endorsement.

John Atkinson

Editor (until midnight today), Stereophile

16 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

And to address something in another posting, I don't remember ever endorsing the infamous CD StopLight green pen in an advertisement. I did write in Stereophile in 1990 about the effect the pen had on CDs, primarily looking for differences in the noisefloor, which would be due to changes in jitter - see https://www.stereophile.com/content/cd-jitter-errors-magic-more-measurements . It is possible, therefore, that someone had quoted something I  had written in an ad. Legally, that would be defined as "Fair Use" but not an actual endorsement.

John Atkinson

Editor (until midnight today), Stereophile

This must be it John

"This stuff works! The cost per disc of this tweak is almost zero...it offers a big bang for the buck and can be confidently recommended!" – John Atkinson, Stereophile

From Music Direct  and Amazon even shows it,

John if you didn't say it, then a lot of people are thinking you did. 

The Truth Is Out There