IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

28 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Jim Austin was chosen for his experience as an editor at Science. And he needed a full-time job. Actually I'm documenting Stereophile isn't about the music.  If it was about the music John Atkinson would treat Bob Stuart the same way he treats Gary Dews of BorderPatrol. Not give him the time of day. And you would never have heard of MQA.

Home alone 2.jpg

You done just blown my whole image of Stereophile.  You mean MQA is still around?  I coulda' swore Atkinson retired?  :)

BTW, Austin still needs a full-time job.

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

23 minutes ago, garrardguy60 said:

output transistors not included

:D 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, garrardguy60 said:

I would think that it was Paul Miller who picked Jim, or at the very least had the final say. [I say this with all due respect to John Atkinson; my comments are not meant to be in any way critical of him. It's more the case that it's been my observation that bosses/owners make these kinds of decision, rather than [even high-level] employees.]

Art Dudley and I independently thought of Jim and we approached him to see if he was interested. But yes, course it was Paul Miller's ultimate decision to hire Jim, with input from us.

1 hour ago, garrardguy60 said:

I was pleasantly shocked a few weeks back when Stereophile reviewed the Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers [$549]. Here, I am hoping that this is also Mr. Miller's influence . . .

I have huge respect for Paul, but he has had zero influence on Stereophile's content during my tenure at Stereophile, just as with all the previous bosses I  have had in the past 33 years as Stereophile's editor. I understand that that will continue to be the case now that Jim is taking over from me.

John Atkinson

Editor (for 6 more hours), Stereophile

30 minutes ago, Archimago said:

🤣

Somewhat off topic from MQA of course, but important to discuss. "Listening skills" is a tough one to determine isn't it? And yet for purely subjective reviewers the idea that one possesses "Golden Ears" is the basis of presumably why one's opinion has value...

As far as I am aware, there is no formal "Minimum Audio Reviewer Test" (MART?) for listening acuity.

At least back in 2014, Philips had their Golden Ears Challenge which I did attain the "Golden Ears" level:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/02/musings-golden-earism-philips-golden.html

@John_Atkinson , is there some level of minimum listening/hearing competence that must be achieved to be an audio reviewer for Stereophile? Or say regular hearing test results at the very least submitted as "accreditation"?

The truth is that one could have been a jack hammer operator for years, can hear up to 5kHz at best, have severe inter-aural imbalance and still talk about the "air around instruments", "natural tonality of the singer", how "fast and jitter-free", and the greatness of the "soundstage" while showing beautiful pictures of the US$15,000 dCS Bartok. At least that's one thought that runs through my mind when I see pictures of aging audiophile reviewers...

I've always said you could make this stuff up so why would listening skills matter? After all doesn't having golden ears mean the person is in their golden years? 

19 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

One would think professional reviewers would actually have pictures of the equipment under review set up in their own rooms, rather than just including promo shots provided by the manufacturers

Really? Photos?

Unless they're photos of the insides with commentary about how the item works, why would I object to professionally taken photos, rather than some guy who may or may not know anything about photography, in a room that we may or may not especially want to see?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@Jud

If it's a professional magazine, it should have professional photos that aren't just stock photos.  If they know nothing about photography, and can't hire someone who does, perhaps print media is the wrong field of endeavor or format?

A lot of the appeal in high-end gear or goods is the eye-candy aspect of it.  Vogue doesn't just publish the designers' own photos, you know.  How or why is another luxury-aimed publication special?  Stock photos are fine for a student's report or an amateur underground 'zine, I expect more from professional magazines.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

3 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

@Jud

If it's a professional magazine, it should have professional photos that aren't just stock photos.  If they know nothing about photography, and can't hire someone who does, perhaps print media is the wrong field of endeavor or format?

A lot of the appeal in high-end gear is the eye-candy aspect of it.  Vogue doesn't just publish the designers' own photos, you know.  How or why is another luxury-aimed publication special?  Stock photos are fine for a student's report or an amateur underground 'zine, I expect more from professional magazines.

I'm guessing Vogue has a rather larger circulation and budget.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Come on archimago, sandyk admits to major hearing damage yet still hears differences between bit perfect MD5 identical rips 😄

Ask sandyk how well I passed his evil test :-).  It was tricky, but apparently I did pretty well.   (The difference was something like what I deal with on the DA decoder, so I just happened to be tuned to the sort of difference that was in the test.)

43 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Myself, and others, have been saying this for years. I think this is where much of the problem lies. If the baseline quality had been this to begin with, I reckon most of the arguments over digital wouldn't have come about in the first place.

"According to legendary musician and record producer Don Was, now president of Blue Note Records, "what record producers and artists intend for the audience to hear is the first commercially released issue—not some hypothetical master tape or enhanced later version. By that sensible measure, every remastering, reissue, or change in format—whether from 78 to 331?3rpm, mono to stereo, LP to CD, CD to hi-rez, or hi-rez to MQA—is simply a lower-fidelity interpretation of the original. That's why I've never felt comfortable with remasterings."

T

When I test my decoder with ABBA, I use original vinyl rips for a reference.  (The DHNRDS still sounds much better without vinyl processing -  but I try to make sure that it sounds plausibly the same.)  I agree with trying to sound like the original release.  (Direct DolbyA decodes don't always sound like something that you'd want to release to a consumer, however.)

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'm guessing Vogue has a rather larger circulation and budget.

Did you actually read my earlier post that you mocked, where I mentioned that amateurs at Head-Fi and reddit quite often take the time to provide some original photos?

Thank you for applying your criticism to this random amateur nobody on the internet rather than publications that aspire to be taken seriously and as being journalistic and professional.  * sigh *

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

53 minutes ago, Currawong said:

Myself, and others, have been saying this for years. I think this is where much of the problem lies. If the baseline quality had been this to begin with, I reckon most of the arguments over digital wouldn't have come about in the first place.

"According to legendary musician and record producer Don Was, now president of Blue Note Records, "what record producers and artists intend for the audience to hear is the first commercially released issue—not some hypothetical master tape or enhanced later version. By that sensible measure, every remastering, reissue, or change in format—whether from 78 to 331?3rpm, mono to stereo, LP to CD, CD to hi-rez, or hi-rez to MQA—is simply a lower-fidelity interpretation of the original. That's why I've never felt comfortable with remasterings."

To his arguable discredit, he does make everything he reviews sound like the second coming, and does write in the favour of whatever he is reviewing.  I haven't read his Mytek review, but I am more inclined to think, since I'm a reviewer, they are more afraid of alienating subscribers who DO think MQA is wonderful and complain if they aren't catered to.  If they were really so in bed with manufacturers, they surely wouldn't measure products, especially given that they reveal how "fundamentally broken" NOS DACs are.

Maybe their mistake was to take BS at his word (bad pun intended), and now it's like the man who buys a pristine-looking second-hand car, assured by the  supposedly trustworthy salesman that it is in perfect condition, has a crash, and all the bog filler falls out from where the previous owner had done the same thing....

Thanks for that except. I don't really see that as a ding against MQA>

And quite honestly that quote from Don Was is total bullshit. i went to school with two musicians who ended up getting signed to major labels. They were thrilled with the final mixes of their work, and were utterly horrified when they heard the mastering done by a big time mastering engineer. They had no recourse as the contracts gave the labels final say in the "first commercially released issue."

And the band Maroon 5 complained bitterly about their second album which they claim did not reflect the intention of their mix and against got hosed by the contract. And by the way the producers in all 3 cases also hated the "first commercially available issue".

So in fact, there IS a" hypothetical master tape" the artist approved.

1 minute ago, Hugo9000 said:

Did you actually read my earlier post that you mocked, where I mentioned that amateurs at Head-Fi and reddit quite often take the time to provide some original photos?

Thank you for applying your criticism to this random amateur nobody on the internet rather than publications that aspire to be taken seriously and as being journalistic and professional.  * sigh *

I didn't mock, I disagreed. And it was in fact the types of photos you mention that I wouldn't want to see in glossy mags. I think very few of them are good. You might disagree, which is fine.

50 minutes ago, Currawong said:

That is partially true, but honestly -- a lot of material is released without DolbyA decoding.  Ask sandyk about some examples that I demoed.  He didn't like all of them, but I think that anyone (incl him) would say that there was a rather substantial improvement.  The biggest problem when demoing, is that playing through the DolbyA with raw material is NOT all of what mastering needs to do.

Undecoded stuff, with a little EQ is sold as consumer material (retch!!) (Compressed highs, flat spatial relationships -- sound famiilar?)

Take the HDtracks Carpenters album, do a bit of EQ (to recover original material), and do a DolbyA decode -- sounds really nice.  (I think that album needs +3dB@3kHz/Q=0.707...  I don't remember, it might be +5dB instead.

It is heartbreaking that some amount of this digital hatred comes from non-mastering (playout of master tape with EQ is a lot cheaper than doing a DolbyA decode.)

John

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Come on archimago, sandyk admits to major hearing damage yet still hears differences between bit perfect MD5 identical rips 😄

So have another couple of members in the last 7 days, one of whom is highly experienced and posts in this thread too !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

My point about "Really? Photos?" is that I'm much less concerned about appearance than about reviewers having some minimal amount of technical chops, or the writing undergoing a technical review before publication.  There's a dearth, at least in what I've seen on newsstands, of any discussion of MQA at the technical level on occasion seen in this forum, and that's a pity.

And that's of course what I (agreeing with @John Dyson and others) think is where this thread and others do their best work, when we're given technical info lacking in the magazines. Sniping I can find anywhere; I'm here to learn.