IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

42 minutes ago, mav52 said:

This must be it John

"This stuff works! The cost per disc of this tweak is almost zero...it offers a big bang for the buck and can be confidently recommended!" – John Atkinson, Stereophile

From Music Direct  and Amazon even shows it,

John if you didn't say it, then a lot of people are thinking you did. 

A search on the Stereophile website for the phrase "this stuff works" didn't throw up anything to do with CD StopLight, so I looked in the back issue archive and found this about CD StopLight in the October 1992 "Recommended Components": "'This stuff works' reports JE [Jack English], PvW [Peter van Willenswaard], and JA [John Atkinson] . . ."

I then did a search for the phrase "bang for the buck" on the Stereophile website and found this text from July 1995 : "In April's "Letters" (p.13), I commented rather negatively on CD Stoplight. Since penning that response I've done some more experimenting, and perhaps my dismissal of the green-ink tweak was too hasty . . . The CD Stoplight offers a clear improvement in sound quality that it takes the $695 UltraJitterbug or $1495 DTI Pro to equal. The cost per disc of this tweak is almost zero, meaning that it offers a big bang for the buck and can be confidently recommended. But as to why CD Stoplight has any effect, don’t ask!“ Scroll down the page at https://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/795awsi/index.html

So it looks as if the creators of the ad extracted and combined the text from the two passages, one from 1992 and the other from 1995. However, I am confident they didn't ask for permission as if they had have done, I would have insisted on the month and year of publication be included in the attribution, so people reading the ad can see how old the quoted text is. And it is certainly not a paid endorsement, which the original poster appeared to be implying.

John Atkinson

Editor (for a few hours more), Stereophile

17 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

A search on the Stereophile website for the phrase "this stuff works" didn't throw up anything to do with CD StopLight, so I looked in the back issue archive and found this about CD StopLight in the October 1992 "Recommended Components": "'This stuff works' reports JE [Jack English], PvW [Peter van Willenswaard], and JA [John Atkinson] . . ."

Kind suggestion -- please dont' let yours (or any) publication to be used for political/raw profiteering purposes (unless it is a paid advert.)  Opinions are okay, if appropriately labeled.  It is SOOO difficult nowadays, because opinions are so often conflated with accuracy (sometimes opinons are accurate, but even then should be appropriately labeled.)

I don't know how to make sure that people are 'straight' (I mean in the truthful, integrity, knowledge sense, not in personal attributes), or confused.  I guess that is where expertise in editing and double checking comes into play.  (The major news media in particular hasn't been very good about having/practicing with integrity lately -- and I hope it doesn't get worse.)

John

20 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

I then did a search for the phrase "bang for the buck" on the Stereophile website and found this text from July 1995 : "In April's "Letters" (p.13), I commented rather negatively on CD Stoplight. Since penning that response I've done some more experimenting, and perhaps my dismissal of the green-ink tweak was too hasty . . . The CD Stoplight offers a clear improvement in sound quality that it takes the $695 UltraJitterbug or $1495 DTI Pro to equal. The cost per disc of this tweak is almost zero, meaning that it offers a big bang for the buck and can be confidently recommended. But as to why CD Stoplight has any effect, don’t ask!“ Scroll down the page at https://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/795awsi/index.html

So it looks as if the creators of the ad extracted and combined the text from the two passages, one from 1992 and the other from 1995. However, I am confident they didn't ask for permission as if they had have done, I would have insisted on the month and year of publication be included in the attribution, so people reading the ad can see how old the quoted text is. And it is certainly not a paid endorsement, which the original poster appeared to be implying.

John Atkinson

Editor (for a few hours more), Stereophile

Since you didn't say it, why not get that quote removed from say Music Direct https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/audioprism-cd-stoplight

The Truth Is Out There

2 hours ago, Currawong said:

To be fair to JA, I think the suggestion that they are trying to market MQA is somewhat unfair. I noticed Herb Reichert gently pissed on MQA in the Kitsune DAC review, for example. 

Of "the acoustic objects within the stereo image having somewhat greater palpability", this reminds me of my impressions of the MQA-similar GTO filter in the iFi Pro iDSD, which brings instruments more forward, and makes them feel a bit livelier. My issue would be that the whole MQA process is unnecessary to get that kind of result with music. 

Not unlike how the slightly V-shaped sound signature of tubes (something which a designer I know could fake in solid-state circuits by adjusting the crosstalk) and even-order harmonics make the music sound "richer" (or whatever word one wishes to use) I think MQA simply picked distortions that would appeal most to listeners. But again, the whole process is simply a trick, and the MQA folding, and etc. is completely unnecessary.

CW:

I just read that DAC review by Reichert. I am not sure where he "pissed" on MQA....

Reviewing nice affordable digital  products from small manufacturers, like let's say, a ladder DAC, and wanting to recommend it puts Stereophile writers in a pickle because they have to figure out how to handle the MQA thing. based on their editorial obsession with marketing it. Here Reichert choses the strategy to down play it. Interestingly he chooses to really spotlight DSD. 

This was not the case when he reviewed several MyTek DACs and fell in love with MQA to the point that the Schiit DAC, (very similar to the Kitsune) that was his "reference" was kicked to the curb because if did not decode MQA.

They simply cannot have it both ways, 

27 minutes ago, mav52 said:

Since you didn't say it, why not get that quote removed from say Music Direct https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/audioprism-cd-stoplight

I don't think he needs to, did you notice it says "Product is no longer available". also the page is not searchable at Music Direct. Search result for AudioPrism is "No results found for AudioPrism" and CD Stoplight show "No results found for CD Stoplight".

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/audioprism-cd-stoplight appears to be a dead page perhaps found in an internet search. At any rate Music Direct no longer sales CD Stoplight.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

Do you still believe that it works?

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

I think,  as he hinted before, "fair use" entitles them to quote him in small amounts, even if they link two pieces that weren't written together. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

33 minutes ago, mansr said:

Do you still believe that it works?

Why not, I thought it was established that it increased (apparently) euphonic jitter? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

22 hours ago, shtf said:

Maybe one day a former Stereophile reviewer with some integrity and listening skills, if such a one exists, will write a variation on Stereophile magazine.  

There'd definitely be some money for that author.  Oops.  I hope that idea doesn't jeopardize anybody's "reputation" and retirement plan. :)

We already have that person [though he's not ex-Stereophile]. It is Archimago and his blog.

57 minutes ago, firedog said:

Why not, I thought it was established that it increased (apparently) euphonic jitter? 

Was it though? I'll I've ever seen is a grainy video with a blurry photo of a fuzzy scope image with no scales on the axes and no explanation of what was being measured. That is hardly proof of anything.

2 hours ago, garrardguy60 said:

We already have that person [though he's not ex-Stereophile]. It is Archimago and his blog.

Yes, there is Archimago who is invaluable from a technical perspective but as you say, he's not former Stereophile.  Nor is Archimago exactly known for his keen listening skills.  At least not that I'm aware of.

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

14 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Who at Stereophile is known for their keen listening skills?

Why, Jim Austin of course.  Why else would Atkinson choose Jimmy to take the helm at Stereophile?  Unless you're insinuating that it's not really all about the music at Stereophile.  Are you?  :)

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

33 minutes ago, shtf said:

Why, Jim Austin of course.  Why else would Atkinson choose Jimmy to take the helm at Stereophile?  Unless you're insinuating that it's not really all about the music at Stereophile.  Are you?  :)

I would think that it was Paul Miller who picked Jim, or at the very least had the final say. [I say this with all due respect to John Atkinson; my comments are not meant to be in any way critical of him. It's more the case that it's been my observation that bosses/owners make these kinds of decision, rather than [even high-level] employees.]

MORE IMPORTANT, in my mind, is the fact that Stereophile recently reviewed an affordable product. And when I say ''affordable,'' I mean to you and me, not as in Stereophile's definition [e.g., ''though this amplifier fails to support MQA -- the greatest development in audiophilia since oxygen-free cooper -- we give it props for being an affordable option at a very reasonable $2,500 [base model; chassis enclosure and output transistors not included].

Anyway, back to my point. I was pleasantly shocked a few weeks back when Stereophile reviewed the Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers [$549]. Here, I am hoping that this is also Mr. Miller's influence and that he intends to make Stereophile and its sister sites a little more relevant to audiophiles with normal, human-scale incomes. 

I am very hopeful in that regard. As for Mr. Austin, since he has a doctorate in physics, it is clearly not his intellectual capabilities holding him back from understanding the realities of MQA.