IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Just an update from me on MQA. I've reached out to a couple people to write MQA articles for CA and so far the response has been positive. Christoph is working on a series of articles for publication on the front page, as is another person who has done many measurements and has offered several technical explanations about MQA. I won't name him yet.

Perhaps I've finally had enough of the fact that MQA has been relegated to the "back page" when anything negative or questioning the technology is brought up. 

My hat off to you sir.

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Just an update from me on MQA. I've reached out to a couple people to write MQA articles for CA and so far the response has been positive. Christoph is working on a series of articles for publication on the front page, as is another person who has done many measurements and has offered several technical explanations about MQA. I won't name him yet.

Perhaps I've finally had enough of the fact that MQA has been relegated to the "back page" when anything negative or questioning the technology is brought up. 

Thank you! I hope mansr is involved in this...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can't wait, myself, to read the articles. Thanks for doing this.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

46 minutes ago, mansr said:

Someone suggested looking at Morrissey's album Low in High School. Here's the power spectrum of track 2 from that album, high-res and MQA:

morrissey-lonely.thumb.png.75208d01ea082aedabed0cafbe260348.png

The high frequencies in MQA reconstruction have what appears to be very strong filter ripple. I've never seen anything like this before.

Of the 12 tracks on the album, 7 show this effect.

And is any of that audible?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

And is any of that audible?

Doesn't matter.

Knowing that MQA is messing with the sound will lessen our enjoyment of it... unless, of course, you are one of these audiophiles who is immune to the tricks that the human mind plays upon us. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

30 minutes ago, mansr said:

The filter might have done something audible that just isn't visible in this plot. For instance, it could have messed with the phase.

That was more the intent of my question.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don’t think this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but David Denby, a writer for The New Yorker, contributed an online article about hi-fi gear last month and included a section about MQA that seemed to credulously cite all of the MQA marketing bullet points together with his own enthusiastic endorsement as a listener, with not a word about any controversy or dissent from the pitch that MQA is a revolutionary technical innovation in sound quality. This may be the most notable example of uncritical MQA coverage in a non-audiophile publication to date.

You can’t, at the moment, listen to high-res on your iPhone, but help may be on the way, for there’s still another, recently developed high-resolution digital format that has possibly revolutionary consequences. It’s called MQA, which stands for Master Quality Authenticated. The engineers go back to the master tapes of a given recording and recode the information digitally in a new way: the information is compressed (as with MP3s) to get it through the Internet, but then magically reopened, like a field of flowers after rain, by a server at the receiving end. In addition, the information is stripped of certain common digital artifacts—it’s de-blurred. Jay-Z’s streaming service, Tidal, offers MQA recordings—some classical, much R. & B. and soul, Latin, and everything else, including (surprise) Beyoncé. In MQA streaming, on a good system, the woman is there, right in front of you.

At Sound by Singer, at 242 East Twenty-seventh Street, I heard a relatively modest system ($22,000) delivering the goods by MQA and other streaming formats, controlled by an iPad and running through the Aurender A10 and the (Italian) Norma Revo 140 IPA Integrated amp ($8,000), and ending with a hearty and fatigue-free pair of speakers, the Endeavor E-3 MkII ($8,000), which are the best-sounding speakers I’ve heard in that price range. But all of this is possibly just the beginning of the MQA bounty. The major record labels have agreed to allow their master tapes to be re-coded. And the founders of MQA—don’t ask me to explain this—claim that the new codec could be applied to old recordings, which could then be streamed or downloaded to portable devices outfitted to receive MQA. In other words, not just great availability but extraordinary sound could be lodged in your hand.

4 minutes ago, HalSF said:

I don’t think this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but David Denby, a writer for The New Yorker, contributed an online article about hi-fi gear last month and included a section about MQA that seemed to credulously cite all of the MQA marketing bullet points together with his own enthusiastic endorsement as a listener, with not a word about any controversy or dissent from the pitch that MQA is a revolutionary technical innovation in sound quality. This may be the most notable example of uncritical MQA coverage in a non-audiophile publication to date.

He was spoon fed all this via Stereophile, Michael Fremer, and a dealer who sells MQA compliant gear.

Fremer saw a chance to steamroll a patsy.

A total con job.

1 minute ago, HalSF said:

I read that. It was not a great piece of writing. I mean, the way he waxed poetic was a little sickening. BUT, and this is the big thing, it wasn't a review but a report on the audiophile hobby.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

15 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I read that. It was not a great piece of writing. I mean, the way he waxed poetic was a little sickening. BUT, and this is the big thing, it wasn't a review but a report on the audiophile hobby.

True enough, but even though I’m someone who thinks people have been unjustifiably losing their minds over MQA as a supposedly monstrous scam, I found the presentation of MQA’s sonic wonderfulness and scientific glory as settled facts to be over-the-top and mildly alarming. It definitely seems like a win for audiophile magical thinking even if it has no real influence one way or another in the long run.

I love this comment to the so called "review":

"So it turns out after a couple decades, the the missing ingredients that made unmusical digital so cold, harsh and sterile were:

Low frequency distortion and random noise added at playback and then a nice little dose of High frequency and harmonic aliasing distortion "fold"/embedded into the audio band during the encoding stage.

Cool ;-)."