IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

6 hours ago, FredericV said:

This is the classical fanboy / shill argument, also used by the now banned Peter Veth. MQA does not offer this value, but streaming services do.

You could say the exact same about Qobuz: it offers true highres (lossless, not lossy like MQA) and customers don't have to invest in their own library / hardware.

US residents have had difficulty signing up for Qobuz...secondly, the Tidal interface is far superior.

Qobuz is also close to $200 a year more.

8 hours ago, firedog said:

But that ignores the simple fact that the hi-rez masters can be streamed; or if bandwidth is thought to be an issue, a properly dithered 18/96 version of a 24/96 hi-res master is smaller than the equivalent MQA file and throws out less bits. 

So again, why do we need a closed; proprietary format?

What if it does actually sound better?

4 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Can you point out specifically what errors and misunderstandings Mr. Austin was guilty of in his articles..I believe there was Part One and Two?

It would easier to point out what he got right as that amounts to just about nothing.

10 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

US residents have had difficulty signing up for Qobuz...secondly, the Tidal interface is far superior.

Qobuz is also close to $200 a year more.

Actually the Qobuz app IMO is far superior to the Tidal interface.

And worth every penny if you want real high resolution or regular cd lossless with the option to buy high res at a discount.  Tidal really offers nothing in comparison.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

9 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

And worth every penny if you want real high resolution or regular cd lossless with the option to buy high res at a discount.  Tidal really offers nothing in comparison.

I believe Tidal has a far greater Redbook CD catalog. Unless I am mistaken.

17 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I believe Tidal has a far greater Redbook CD catalog. Unless I am mistaken.

48 million tracks advertised on Tidal's site.  40 million tracks advertised on Qobuz's site.  Remove the cRap from Tidal and what's left?

70,000 hi-res albums on Qobuz vs 10,000 lossy MQA albums on Tidal.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

Tone, I've tried to use HolaVPN on numerous occasions to create an account on Qobuz over the years, to no avail.  I've also just emailed them directly and was told by their customer service that Qobuz used to give accounts to US residents 3 or so years ago, but, no longer.

If you have a way for me to do so, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance (via PM), but, until they launch in the US with a legal option (I understand it's apparently on the way), I'm not really sure this is a fair comparison to the large majority of folks here in the states.

When my wife and my parents can log onto the site, create an account, and enter payment details in their native language and without a VPN/geographical workaround, we can compare options.

3 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

What if it does actually sound better?

What if it actually sounds worse? 

Who determines better? The streaming services?  The labels?  And please don't tell me, "the market". The market is rigged in favor of the industry. 

I haven't seen evidence they care about either their customers or SQ. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

27 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Tone, I've tried to use HolaVPN on numerous occasions to create an account on Qobuz over the years, to no avail.  I've also just emailed them directly and was told by their customer service that Qobuz used to give accounts to US residents 3 or so years ago, but, no longer.

Try a "real' VPN and not Hola.

Did you also try putting in a French address? I knew someone who used a French VPN server address, got an address of a French hotel off the net and used it to get an account. 

Once you have the account, the VPN isn't necessary. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

39 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

f you have a way for me to do so, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance (via PM), but, until they launch in the US with a legal option (I understand it's apparently on the way), I'm not really sure this is a fair comparison to the large majority of folks here in the states.

The comparison has nothing to do with what is fair to US customers, I was comparing user interface and content. 

6 minutes ago, firedog said:

Outside of gun-for-hire TAS and Atkinson/McGrath (whose files apparently received special attention), most others report  subtle improvement, no difference, slight preference for PCM, or coloration and loss of resolution.

But, hey, at least we all get to pay more for hardware and content O.o

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I believe the conversation is relevant, particularly if we holding up as a gold standard for comparison a service which can currently only be accessed on one continent (8 countries, I believe?) without using some degree of workaround (no matter how seemingly insignificant the workaround may be).

Again, all I have seen so far are rumored prices associated with a US launch, and a vague window for roll-out.  If and when Qobuz launches in the US, and if and when we see that all current content licensing agreements are intact, only then, IMO, can we then take a fair look.  UI is one thing.  When numbers start getting bandied about with regard to content, well, we just don't know exactly what will be available as of yet.

Thanks for the help.  I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

If you have a way for me to do so, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance (via PM), but, until they launch in the US with a legal option (I understand it's apparently on the way), I'm not really sure this is a fair comparison to the large majority of folks here in the states.

When my wife and my parents can log onto the site, create an account, and enter payment details in their native language and without a VPN/geographical workaround, we can compare options.

I did not have any problem using aVPN (UK) to sign up for Qobuz.  Once I signed up, the service worked fine with a USA internet connection.  This was a couple months ago; my trial expired so I am not using this now.

I would just keep trying different VPN options until something works.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Who determines better? The streaming services?  The labels?  And please don't tell me, "the market". The market is rigged in favor of the industry. 

I haven't seen evidence they care about either their customers or SQ. 

Let's try this...who determined that "Hi-rez" was "better" than Redbook CD...Who determined DSD was more "analog like"?

You can say that the market was rigged so that everyone went out and bought 24/192 and DSD resolution DACs.

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Let's try this...who determined that "Hi-rez" was "better" than Redbook CD...Who determined DSD was more "analog like"?

You can say that the market was rigged so that everyone went out and bought 24/192 and DSD resolution DACs.

Hi,

It is the advancement of technology, that allows higher sample rates and large bit depths. There are only benefits to the consumer.

Whether you prefer the Redbook CD compared to 192kHz/24bit is personal.

MQA is going backwards from 96kHz/XXbits - since it is lossy, has aliasing, and adds harmonics (information) that was not there in the first place (see Brian Lucey comment on this site)

Regards,

Shadders.