IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 5:42 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

I recently added a modified Melco/Dela S100 switch to my system.  My experience follows.

Background

My first audiophile switch was a modified consumer-grade Linksys SE3008.  SOtM changed capacitors, replaced the switching regulator with a linear regulator, and enabled the switch to be re-clocked by the sCLK-EX board in my tX-USBultra.  Later, the sCLK-EX was re-clocked by their sCLK-OCX10 master clock.  As others have noted, the result was a nice improvement in sound quality.

At some point, we were told that a particular Netgear switch could shunt upstream noise to ground, so I added one before the modified SE3008.  Although I could never hear any difference, I left it in place.  Much later, I tried a Cisco Catalyst 2960.  I heard no change, so I removed it.

I purchased the SOTM sNH-10G audiophile switch a few months after it was released.  To be honest, I was put off by the price and was skeptical of its value.  I knew from prior experience with my tX-USBultra and sMS-200ultra that I could get much better sound quality using 20AWG solid core Neotech silver wire with JSSG 360 shielding rather than the generic 22AWG stranded silver offered as an upgrade by SOtM.  The Neotech upgrade increases openness, transparency, and detail.  Importantly, it also adds body to the sound signature.  Consequently, my sNH-10G does not suffer much from the thinness that others have noted.

Along the way, I acquired a Mutec REF 10 to re-clock the tX-USBultra and sNG-10G.  The REF 10 is a marked improvement over the sCLK-OCX10.

I purchased an EtherREGEN soon after its release to chain with the sNH-10G.  During this time, I removed the Netgear switch from my network and noticed an uptick in sound quality.  I ran this configuration for a few months before deciding to part with the EtherREGEN and try a re-clocked Melco/Dela S100 instead. 

The S100 modifications were made by Pink Faun.  They replaced the 25MHz oscillator on the S100 board with their Ultra OCXO clock module.  They also removed the internal power connectors and soldered those wires directly to the board.  Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they created a 5v input to SEPARATELY power the clock module.  In other words, the modified S100 requires two power supply rails:  a 12v rail for the switch board and a 5v rail for the clock module.

I would like to give credit to @seeteeyou for the idea of modifying an S100 and to @Nenon for giving me his thoughts and suggestions during my due diligence process.

Topology

A simplified representation of my system excluding grounding and power is as follows (apologies for the lack of an easy-to-read flow chart):

NUC7i7DNKE Euphony/Roon Server > Viablue EP-7 Cat 6a > SOtM sNH-10G SE

Synology DS218j > Viablue EP-7 Cat 6a > SOtM sNH-10G SE

Linksys WRT 1900 ACS router > Viablue EP-7 Cat 6a > SOtM sNH-10G SE

SOtM sNH-10G SE* > Single Mode Fiber > Modified Melco S100** > Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Ethernet > NUC7i7DNHE StylusEP > Habst USB Ultra III > tX-USBultra SE* > Synergistic Research Galileo UEF USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Synergistic Research Galileo SX Digital BNC (2) > Chord DAVE > 12AWG 16-wire UniCrystal silver custom headphone cable > HE1000se headphones

* Re-clocked by Mutec REF 10 (Habst Digital BNC)

** Powered by a Farad3 12v and a JCAT Optimo Duo 5v rail.  A 100Mbps port is used to connect to the NUC7i7DNHE endpoint.

(Note:  A particular Finisar SFP recently has become popular for its added transparency and air.  In my system, I found the perceived improvement to be the result of a recessed midrange.  I went back and forth several times to confirm this impression.  In my system, for this particular application, the Planet Technology SFP is clearly superior.)

Listening Impressions

In a nutshell, the modified S100 has profoundly affected my listening experience.  I have implemented many changes during the past few years, upgrading sources, all types of cables, signal regeneration and re-clocking, power, grounding, and RAM.  In a few instances, a tweak or modification resulted in the perception of having acquired an upgraded version of a particular piece of gear.  Others were less dramatic but provided welcome improvements in sound quality.  None had the transformative effect of the modified S100.  Replacing my DNA Stratus headphone amp and Auralic VEGA DAC with the Chord DAVE was the most significant upgrade that I have made to my audio system.  The modified S100 is probably the second most important.

I am not a professional reviewer, and finding the words to properly describe what I am hearing has been challenging.  To begin, the background is very black.  Low level detail is jaw dropping.  I hear much more subtle elements in voices and instruments.  Reverberation and decay are more apparent.  The sound signature is smooth with an extended high frequency response that is not the least bit fatiguing.  Images and soundstage are more focused and coherent.  The acoustical space is more easily discerned.  Tonality, density, and resolution are outstanding.

I consider the sNH-10G to be my baseline switch.  Adding the ER modified the sound, primarily adding body while sacrificing some of the transparency, detail, and spatiality which are the hallmarks of the sNH-10G.  The net result was to tune my system rather than take a major step forward.  Replacing the ER with the modified S100 is an entirely different experience.  As I have attempted to describe above, the modified S100 elevates the sound quality to dramatic new heights.

Hi Auric,

With all these improvement made by some big gun $ with various boxes, cabling, lps etc. including Mutec Ref10 (now 120se), doesn't having the sgm extreme or at least the new Antipodes K50 make sense instead of the NUC ?

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Can anyone with Paul Hynes power supplies advise me on the direction of current travel through my SR5T fuse holder.  I’m trying out a new SR Orange fuse and will start by running-in with the orientation shown in attached photo.  Shame PHD Ltd are no longer in business.  I always found Stephen to be incredibly helpful. A minor inconvenience of course compared to those who paid money for products they will never receive.

59D58B8A-BF41-4F86-82A4-E6EEE255027E.jpeg

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

After trying both directions, this is the one I chose

0A615578-25AE-41BD-AE2F-2F7B628BB4CC.jpeg

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

2 hours ago, nonesup said:

After trying both directions, this is the one I chose

0A615578-25AE-41BD-AE2F-2F7B628BB4CC.jpeg

Thanks.  I seem to be lined up the same as you.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

On 6/22/2019 at 6:09 AM, Chopin75 said:

I have the USB card from Pinkfaun but only the stock clock. I have not got to the upgraded  OCXO clocks (note they have a new super OCXO clock now for both bridge and motherboard!),  I think USB is still somewhat inferior even with my most simple chain of:

1 box PC Euphony OS streamer (with Pinkfaun USB bridge + External LPS) ---> optical USB (for galvanic isolation)---> Regen USPCB adaptor (Vbus off) ---> DAC.

The use of such a USB bridge means you may not need other USB devices for galvanic isolation or at least the effect is much less. I ended up using an optical USB cable that works best.

Hello! Could you please tell what exactly optical usb do you use? Is "optical usb" and "optical usb cable" means the same or two separate devices? And what is the SQ difference with and without an optical usb in your system? Thank you!

On 8/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, seeteeyou said:

https://www.wbt.de/fileadmin/content/products/chinchbuchsen/0210_Ag_E_2006_12_14.pdf

https://www.wbt.de/fileadmin/content/products/chinchbuchsen/0210_AgMs_E_2006_12_14.pdf

On 8/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, seeteeyou said:

− Permanent current ID > 20 A
− Transition resistance Rü < 0.1 mOhm (loop measured with WBT -0110)
− Contact resistance RBi ,RBa< 0.1 mOhm (patch resistance, inner / outer)

Ultimate RCA connectors for those WBT RCA jacks with the lowest impedance out there

https://www.furutech.com/2021/08/31/21017/

https://www.furutech.com/2021/08/31/21027/

https://www.acoustique-tech.com/boutique/furutech-fr/furutech-cf-102-ncf-rca-connector-set-of-2-pcs/

Just in time for DC4 ARC6 if we're looking for something special to replace those high-impedance barrel connectors.

MXzipn1l.jpg

Kmx7nUAl.jpg

PxDOSqKl.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2021 at 2:38 AM, seeteeyou said:

What a beast! Still trucking along here with my Z390 motherboard... So tempting to try one of the newer offerings.

I’ve tried some different ways of connecting my network to optimise the sound and the following sounds the best for me.

Router -> grey cable -> small switch -> black cable -> Roon Core 1st network input -> Roon Core 2nd input -> M-way cable (blue) -> Large switch -> M-way cable green (it’s better than the other m-way cable) -> endpoint.

The idea that the closer you get to the endpoint the more important the quality of cables and the switch is hold up in this case. The large switch is used as a cheap “reclocker” and that it sounds the best not to have anything else then a cable directly from the server to it and a cable from it to the endpoint. If I connect another ethernet cable into that switch the noise floor is raised.

Also I've tried using a sbooster to power the large switch, it sounds more "analogue" however the bass gets sloppy and the upper frequencies dull. English Electric contests that sometimes switching PSU is better for network switches because linear PSU might not be fast enough. However I believe that it depends on the quality of the PSU and the switch.

256204220_855187268444356_9199117930708158579_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 6:32 PM, Metnoc said:

Tried Entreq grounding:
Minimus->rg45->switch
Silver minimus->Apollo rca->digital input on dac.

It makes the system sound more like vinyl. 

Vovox vocalis usb, euphoric and sonorous, it lacks some PRaT and size of soundstage, but I enjoy it very much.

IMG_0608.thumb.jpg.5b42e31b0ef970064520a0c9de368fb0.jpgIMG_0602.thumb.jpg.c63c29666aa1603d08ec3bf72f6fc480.jpgIMG_0606.thumb.jpg.5c95909ad22258e80e0e3cf3446e4cd2.jpg

I ground my router and amp with Entreq boxes. Couldn't live without them.

I've tried other grounding solutions, and Entreq is the most refined sounding by far.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.12.2021 at 13:49, YuriyTM said:

Питание на коммутатор поступает от 12-вольтового LBP. У него внутри есть ответвление, поэтому на часы идет 12 вольт,
а на плату через регулятор подается 5 вольт.

13.jpg

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-pink-hq-minorityclean/#entry57781

Okay got to stop listening and say something.  257 floored me.  The biggest jump of any version I have heard over another, but 258 is even better.  This is easily the most organically musically complete sound I have ever had out of a system.  The sound is so completely enveloping that even stuff I don't listen to forces me to listen and I find songs I never knew I enjoyed.  Now that is a system.  This is almost the most signifcant thing I have recently played with.  Not quite up to switching from a jplay femto to a jplay XE Usb card, but its giving me the same kind of jump. 256 sounds like crap now by comparison 257 hit it out the ball park and this took it out of the zip code.   Everything is improved, but everything is more intergrated and complete.  It almost makes individual aspects irrelevant because everything is so incredibly put together in ways I think I have only heard a couple of systems every do at any price.  And my system is doing that in ways I have never previously heard.  However you can still pick out the details if you can wrench yourself away from the entirety of the performance.  The one thing I have never heard before even with 257 is tonal and harmonic intermodulation effects between instruments. Its crazy.   Robert Plant's " Carry Fire"  is full of this stuff between instruments and even the way those work with voices to creates these incredible effects that are very subtle but now starting to become obviious.  Hell what will 259 and beyond bring to the table.  I tweak things like a madman and have not gotten out of them what these last couple of iterations are.  I have 7 layers of isolation under my computer.  Air bladder, compsite shelf, mapleshade block, and mad sci footer sittind under a porcelain ceramic plate my computer sits on. Crazy but it all makes a difference.  My Dac amp isolation goes even further  11 layers including double up Mad Sci feet with a carbon fiber nomex shelf between, added to the same conglomeration. I have my digital tweaked like mad with RF reducing devices and I use Shun mook discs in a few key places.  The Oppo Sonica I had completely rebuilt and setup with an internal high current class A output is killing me. It's so good and the Wywires cable mix I have is the best I have ever used.   I have even tweaked that s with few device and adjusting position of those cable using my tensioning system.  Basically strategically located opposing long rubber bands.  Yup I listened to how positioning the cables affected the sound. 

The ZMF Verite Closed is crazy how it will throw a stage.  On this setup stage is as big as anything I have heard out of some very good loudspeakers.  On absolute it might be 80 to 90 percent on a sheer scale to scale comparison.  But the illusion of heigth, depth and width is actually better and more layered and the VC is more focused.  I had a sense of this with 256.  257 and particularly 258 absolutely confirm it.

I am gobsmacked.  Been listening for almost 3 hours and I am still amazed.  Damn when I get my OTL triode in here and with a few more iterations.  This is beyond magic.  OMG people really need to jump on this train, they just don't get what they are missing.  Nothing in my system. good as it is, makes up for what Majiority Clean does.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode.   Pardon the misspellings you may find, will edit as I get a chance.

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4410-windows-11-pe-audiophile-creation-guide/#entry57778

I should end with a thank you to samotc for his help getting me here, he has been fantastic. As I understand it, samotc has tried many other Ramdisk installs with non-WinPE Windows OS's, and this is my first foray into Ramdisk. The SQ boost is just amazing in WinPE. It is, hands down, the biggest audio OS-based boost in SQ I have ever experienced with any solution, and I have tried quite a few beyond RAMdisk. The clarity is really, really something, just insane amounts of detail retrieval and noise floor reduction. Without him this would not have been possible. Highly recommended for those willing to put in the work!

Did we just hit another milestone or something?

Sadly that 'press release' does not contain one iota of additional information on top of the already available marketing lingo, BTW it has it's own thread.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 4 weeks later...

I keep being amazed how organic digital can sound, using the Taiko ATX a high end MB and a very capable CPU. I'm currently auditioning bypass caps on the secondary of the ATX, highly recommended!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 4 weeks later...