IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 5/9/2021 at 2:35 AM, tedwoods said:

Lampizator have been using this board in select products since their 10th Anniversary last year. I believe it's pretty much standardised by now and it's in all their DACs. It uses XMOS, opto-isolators, re-clocking and very ultra low phase noise oscillators. It does PCM 768 and DSD 512 (natively).

In my DAC (Lampizator Amber 3) it was a night and day difference over the Amanero, that was installed before. So much that I'm no longer finding a use for the tx-USBUltra. I believe this looks close enough: http://www.jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html 

I've been actually prompted to mention this because @austinpop's observations painted a familiar picture for me, as they reminded me of mine upon replacing the Amanero board.

I cannot go as far and say that this board has the same effect as the Audiowise bridge and USB isolators , since I have not tried this solution, but I can certainly confirm that the general logic behind it is very true.

I contacted the supplier in the link asking if their board was a plug and play replacement for the Amanero board, which I have in my DAC. Here is the response. I am interested in the Amanero styled board, because I can for sure do the replacement, not so sure that I can do the re-wiring unless someone describes exactly what must be done...

Hi John,

Our I2SoverUSB board is not directly made to swap with Amanero, so the wiring will be different :) but it's straight forward. 
We have Amanero styled board - but we need to do some more tests of it - possibly next week.

Best,
Lyuben 
4 hours ago, jbparrish said:

I contacted the supplier in the link asking if their board was a plug and play replacement for the Amanero board, which I have in my DAC. Here is the response.

Lyuben is a good guy and his board designs have consistently improved over the years. There are simple things he does right that so many others overlook. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The strangest thing happened recently with my Melco S100. I was disabling the ports

of a Buffalo GS-2016, whilst the S100 was connected to the latter. Upon disabling the Buffalo’s ports, I then realised that the ports of my Melco got disabled as well. I might have accessed the wrong settings page by mistake, but I thought the Melco S100 had no accessible settings? Anyone familiar with an internal

physical reset button in the S100? My question might be OOT and in that case please accept my apologies and suppress

my post. I thought it might be of general relevance as it might happen to others :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!

I May not be looking closely enough but I see no TDP rating, just that it's unable to handle base clock without fan on most interesting AMD CPU's.... 

I have a set of copper heatpipes and copper adapter plate on the way from China for the AM4 (Ryzen 7 2700x) that I'll try before thinking about this option. 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded the CPU from an octacore to a twelve core and once more I am baffled with the improvement in SQ more processing power brings...it has been reported previously so it's not a major surprise, but still...

The previous CPU load in Daphile was 0.X %, so negligable, it is now in the same range. At the same time I notice that the Solarflare card runs cooler, almost as if the CPU takes on more work the Solarflare now does not need to do?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 1/28/2021 at 10:44 PM, ray-dude said:

I have two ERX’s. I go ISP to fiber to “modem” (ONT) to Ethernet ERX1 to SFP fiber to ERX2

My home network and wifi is all in ERX2. My audio network is isolated on ERX1 (it’s own subnet) and I use a Sonore optivalModule to connect ERX1 to my server via fiber. 

Getting my audio network on its own subnet was a big deal. So was optically isolating wifi on a different ERX

In a bid to try this without creating another VLAN or subnet (worried about control issues across networks), I went to my asus router and blocked internet access for my server (and my switch connecting that server to the router). I play only local files so this works for me.

REALLY nice bump in SQ!

1954553625_Screenshot2021-07-12at9_01_41PM.thumb.png.84da75d4535dbcb2e7e3fd3deb72fa93.png

44 minutes ago, jelt2359 said:

In a bid to try this without creating another VLAN or subnet (worried about control issues across networks), I went to my asus router and blocked internet access for my server (and my switch connecting that server to the router). I play only local files so this works for me.

REALLY nice bump in SQ!

1954553625_Screenshot2021-07-12at9_01_41PM.thumb.png.84da75d4535dbcb2e7e3fd3deb72fa93.png

More for info, I use Ubiquiti gear, I have various VLAN’s. My phone (being control) is on VLAN 1, management VLAN. Management VLAN give access to all other VLAN! Across subnets! 

14 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

More for info, I use Ubiquiti gear, I have various VLAN’s. My phone (being control) is on VLAN 1, management VLAN. Management VLAN give access to all other VLAN! Across subnets! 

That would indeed solve the problem, too! My method can work with probably all routers, though. And it’s a really simple change. Of course the downside is no internet access unlike your method...

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

PS- does this mean that all traffic from VLAN1 gets shared to VLAN2 (if this is where your hifi is)? May still get 'unwanted' signals going into VLAN2?

15 minutes ago, jelt2359 said:

PS- does this mean that all traffic from VLAN1 gets shared to VLAN2 (if this is where your hifi is)? May still get 'unwanted' signals going into VLAN2?

I don’t think so, it works on establish/relate. I’m not an expert but based on that and the fact management VLAN is on separate subnet I would say no. Also I tried putting on a broadcast device on management VLAN & my Audio VLAN does not receive the broadcast. This suggests it doesn’t. Maybe we have IT experts here who can confirm. 

If one was concerned it does then create a firewall rule with establish/relate it then blocks traffic unless it was established on management vlan first. 

3 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

What I have found to be effective is to have the NIC on the music server "hear" as few packets as possible.  Subnets did the trick for me, VLANs did not (although when people talk about VLANs, they often are talking about subnets)

My VLANs are created using different subnets? They have their own DHCP and DNS. So what’s the difference? 

1 minute ago, ASRMichael said:

My VLANs are created using different subnets? They have their own DHCP and DNS. So what’s the difference? 

I'm far from a networking expert (I tapped out on that stuff back in the late 90s) so your implementation may be equivalent from a packets getting to your server.  There MANY networking savvy audiophiles here, so I welcome correction/education.  

As a pragmatic point, when I went to subnets, I got my server isolated, and didn't have to play games with firewalls, etc (really simplified my home network setup).  I am certain there are better ways to get to the same result though...

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

9 hours ago, ray-dude said:

I should clarify that when I was experimenting with VLANs, I did have firewall rules to connect the networks.  Moving to a subnet let me get rid of all that stuff (I have my music server as the only device on my music subnet, and it is connected to a port on my router that is dedicated to that subnet).

Lots of different ways to skin this cat, and I'm 100% sure that someone who actually knows what they're doing will have a better way ;)  

Alas, reconfiguring my network was WAY to time consuming to do a proper A/B, but I was happy enough with SQ and simplicity of subnet solution to declare victory and move back to playing with massive capacitor arrays ;)  

I will say that I currently have a WiFi switchable outlet on the power supply for my Sonore opticalModule that is at the head end of my music subnet.  With my current playback chain, I can not hear a difference between having the oM powered up (aka server connected to the network) and starting playback and having the oM powered down (server disconnected from the network).  No network is the ultimate reference to compare network optimizations against.  I know several here that still hear a difference between an optimized network and no network, so as usual your mileage will definitely vary.

Quick question- I'm guessing since your music server is the only device on your music subnet, that means your switches connecting to your Extreme are outside that subnet. Why did you make this choice? Why not put the switches in the same subnet too?