IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:29 AM, Always.Learning said:

The subject of this post is another mod from Sean Jacobs. Sean makes a small capacitor board that fits very neatly into the space formerly occupied by DAVE’s switch mode power supply. The idea is to lower impedance even further than the ARC6. The cost of the board is $500 and @Nenon helps put these together for Sean in the U.S. and sells them in the U.S. It requires some minor surgery on your DAVE but no soldering or other special skills. 

Great post, thank you. Can the Sean Jacobs capacitor board for the DAVE be purchased independently of the ARC6 -DC4?

Hello everyone, 

I have a question:

I installed a few time ago a solarflare sfn8522 in my AudioPC. 

That brought me really vorward, soundwise. Very good!

But is there anybody, who managed to supply it with seperate power? 

It still get it's power from the motherboard - not so good, as we all know. 

Any ideas? 

Have a nice day... 

Erwin 

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up for everyone using the Planet MGB-TLX transceiver modules... Out of curiosity, I decided to try the Planet MGB-TL40 transceiver modules to compare, I found them to be significantly better than the MGB-TLX. They are only a little more expensive, $8 more. Try them out, I would love to read your impressions. I don't know if playing around with other Planet modules would yield even better results. If you do decide to try others, I would love to read what you have to say. Remember that you do have to let the modules burn in a couple days to obtain best results.

I would also like to say that I have extremely great results using Audiophool's (Hans van den Barg) upgraded Meraki switches (basic + OXCO clock) and linear power supplies. I bought 2, one Meraki at the source coming into the house and then fiber run to the other Meraki where my system resides.

10 hours ago, BOBO said:

out of curiosity, has anyone here focused on the Bios of the motherboard ?  there are a lot of hidden settings in the bios that can`t be edited normally, lots of power saving stuff, spread spectrum stuff, sensors, controllers that can be turned off.

I would love to hear more about it.

What motherboard are you using?

Are these settings that are universal and can be modified in most systems?  

I am building a DIY server with the ASUS Sage motherboard. There are others doing the same. I would be interested in any information that can help with the set up of this server.
I am looking forward to it when we all start sharing our experiences optimizing this hardware and software. 

Thank you 

at the moment i`m just using my gaming setup. mobo is an aorus gaming 5, its quite a bad mobo, very few settings are shown since it comes with a very bad bios , even among the hidden settings there is no way for me to set my BCLK to be fixed, it`s always variable.

other motherboards might have a lot more settings/options than mine, keep in mind that you have to go through them 1 by 1 and see if you like or not what it does to the sound:

here`s a few of the hidden settings that i`m messing with, i have noticed though that other mobos have them shown in the bios by default and not have them hidden like on mine:

Native ASPM
PECI
ACPI Sleep State
Enable Hibernation
DMI Max Link Speed
DMI ASPM
DMI Link ASPM Control
AMT BIOS Features
Interrupt Redirection Mode Selection
Thermal Monitor
Enhanced C-states
Energy Performance Gain
Processor Thermal Device
Package C-State Demotion
Package C-State Un-demotion
Package C State Limit
HW Notification

ASF support
PCI Latency Timer
PCI-X Latency Timer
PCI Express Clock Gating
Legacy IO Low Latency
PCH Cross Throttling
LPDDR Thermal Sensor
PCI Delay Optimization
Pcie Pll SSC

How did you know to find the hidden settings and how do you find them? 

How do you know what they do?

I commend your patience for trying each one to see if you like the sound.  

which ones did you like best and how did they change the sound. Are most of them on off or do they have a range to work with? 

I remember earlier in this thread, there was a lot of bios experimentation. You can probably search for it.

I remember a couple of people bricked their computers by modifying the wrong setting,  and then they became irreversibly nonresponsive. 😳

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, whats the best DDR4 non-ECC if not APACER? Any suggestions?

I was thinking to try some Hynix 2666, maybe Crucial 2400 on Micron chips?

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

I heard folks say that Hynix can be good, the Apacer are using Samsung chips...why not go for the kill and order Apacer rather than having to work your way through several types of RAM?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

15 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

why not go for the kill and order Apacer

My friend who owns Apacers will let me to test them in my system so I will know them.

15 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

rather than having to work your way through several types of RAM?

I like collect experience and knowledge

So far Crucial on Micron chips (2400 slowed down to 2133) improved SQ against GSkill. But they needs few days to "burn in"

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2023 at 7:34 PM, MarcelNL said:

I heard folks say that Hynix can be good, the Apacer are using Samsung chips...why not go for the kill and order Apacer rather than having to work your way through several types of RAM?

So I found ones which I compared with Apacer directly and I like them more then Apacer :)

It is Samsung M391A1K43DB2-CWE DDR4-3200 ECC. The sound is similar but Samsung even more liquid and more come on high mids.

I tested only 5 different RAM modules and I thing was worth to do that.

Micron chips sounds the worst. Very sharp and digital. Most far away from anolog sound.

Hynix nothing special but better than above.

Standard Samsung UDIMMS nonECC I would say the best from the cheap ram.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 12:57 PM, austinpop said:

Science Experiment: Audiolinux Extreme on Zenith SE

Listening Impressions

Since I compared so many configurations, here's a handy table to keep track:

Config # Nickname Music Server Player/Renderer
    HW OS SW Music location HW OS SW
1 SE native Zenith SE InnuOS LMS SSD Zenith SE InnuOS squeezelite
2 SE RoonServer Local Zenith SE InnuOS RoonServer SSD Zenith SE InnuOS RoonServer
3 SE RoonServer Remote Core Dell XPS 8700 Audiolinux RAM RoonServer NAS Zenith SE InnuOS RoonServer
4 SE RoonBridge Remote Core Dell XPS 8700 Audiolinux RAM RoonServer NAS Zenith SE InnuOS RoonBridge
5 AL-SE RoonBridge Remote Core Dell XPS 8700 Audiolinux RAM RoonServer NAS Zenith SE Audiolinux RAM RoonBridge
6 AL-SE RoonServer Remote Core Dell XPS 8700 Audiolinux RAM RoonServer NAS Zenith SE Audiolinux RAM RoonServer
7 AL-SE RoonServer Local Zenith SE Audiolinux RAM RoonServer SSD Zenith SE Audiolinux RAM RoonServer

Wrap Up

In terms of SQ, my rankings in reference to the numbered configs in the table would be:

•  7 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 2

5 years later, how would you rate this setup compared to what is now available? What are you currently using? Would you recommend to a current Innuos ZENith MK3 owner this AudioLinux ram option for their Innuos ROON core+endpoint?

On 12/28/2023 at 8:55 AM, VegArchie said:

5 years later, how would you rate this setup compared to what is now available? What are you currently using? Would you recommend to a current Innuos ZENith MK3 owner this AudioLinux ram option for their Innuos ROON core+endpoint?

Apologies, I can't answer this. I've moved on from the Innuos platform, so have no idea to what extent InnuOS and their player have evolved in SQ, relative to AudioLinux or Euphony. But it looks from the other thread that you posted that you tried this experiment and generated some interesting findings!

As to what I'm currently using, this article details my current setup: 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Apologies, I can't answer this. I've moved on from the Innuos platform, so have no idea to what extent InnuOS and their player have evolved in SQ, relative to AudioLinux or Euphony. But it looks from the other thread that you posted that you tried this experiment and generated some interesting findings!

As to what I'm currently using, this article details my current setup: 

If I'm reading correctly, you eventually changed your music server to the Taiko Extreme. How did this compare to what you had before?

On 1/3/2024 at 7:54 PM, VegArchie said:

If I'm reading correctly, you eventually changed your music server to the Taiko Extreme. How did this compare to what you had before?

Hi VegArchie,

I've written about this on this thread, so anything I say now would be repeating myself. If you use the search bar above and search back on this thread (topic) for "update" and limit the search to my user id, I think you'll find them easily enough. Updates prior to 2020 are also indexed in the first post of this thread. I stopped maintaining that index after that point. I can't swear this link will work in perpetuity, but this should give you the search I described in this paragraph: https://audiophilestyle.com/search/?q=update&quick=1&item=30376&type=forums_topic&author=austinpop&sortby=newest&search_and_or=and

Here is the post where I shared my impressions about the Extreme and my previous server: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1073467

Just to summarize my steps since I owned the Innuos ZENith SE, I progressed through:

• a low-power Pentium NUC endpoint running Audio Linux
  • a Core i7 NUC NUC7i7DNBE/Plato X7D endpoint running Audio Linux and then Euphony
  • an i7-8700T custom standalone music server running Euphony
  • an i7-8700K custom standalone music server running Euphony
  • to finally the Taiko Extreme.