IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:05 AM, seeteeyou said:

Taiko Audio DC DC-ATX
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-dc-dc-atx/

Unregulated ARC6 Power Supply for Taiko ATX
https://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/power-supplies/unregulated-arc6-power-supply-for-taiko-atx

Unbeatable combo for powering Asus WS C621E SAGE, the best thing since sliced bread.

@Nenon, @seeteeyou What can Taiko Audio DC DC-ATX, feed by the unregulated ARC6 DC4 PSU, drive for loads (W, A, V) and type of servers?

@Summit did you check out the Taiko site (link in message above) ; there is a spec sheet with all that info. JUst scroll down, click on the image at the far right and you'll see the currents and voltages listed underneath.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

4 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

@Summit did you check out the Taiko site (link in message above) ; there is a spec sheet with all that info. JUst scroll down, click on the image at the far right and you'll see the currents and voltages listed underneath.

Yes I did, but is those numbers actually with the unregulated ARC6 DC4 PSU? If yes its a hell lot of power packed in that PSU.

the output is valid for any input with sufficient grunt, plenty of options to choose from but you'd have to read the thread for more details...it's quite a read though but the time reading that one and this one is well worth it!

in short; 35-ish volts of unregulated great quality power makes it sing provided your CPU, MB, output, memory, storage, OS and settings are up to snuff

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

9 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Quick update - while the pace of innovation has slowed a bit here, major gains in SQ are still happening. 

• The new monolithic AMD processors (5x00G series 6 and 8 core with onboard GPU) take things to a new level when run headless. BIOS can be tuned to optimize steady current demand. Power consumption is at a new low as well. This all adds up to an improved music playback experience.
  • Tuning of the OS and playback environment continues to make gains.  Even with playback CPU utilization at 99%, tweaks that lower consumption still matter, and not in a small way. It seems like the reverse of diminishing returns for both Intel and AMD processors.

Knowing this, I am looking forward to the Linux 5.17 kernel that is said to significantly lower CPU consumption for TCP/IP connections, like in half.

All the best, Larry

Are those new? and if so, where are the 12 and higher core versions? 

I'm currently using the 9 3900X, which is 12 core and the only newer version I see is the 5900x that eats 105W TDP as well...both 3900 and 5900 are not sold separately AFAIK

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise there is no love for Entreq on this thread.

I ground my router, streamer, and use an Entreq ethernet cable.

Just magical. So refined, effortless, and engaging.

The Entreq streaming cable made my previous reference cable sound broken.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

15 hours ago, skyline said:

Surprise there is no love for Entreq on this thread.

I ground my router, streamer, and use an Entreq ethernet cable.

Just magical. So refined, effortless, and engaging.

The Entreq streaming cable made my previous reference cable sound broken.

What was your previous reference cable?

Is your Entreq ethernet cable directly grounded to the box?

7 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

What was your previous reference cable?

Is your Entreq ethernet cable directly grounded to the box?

Yes, the Entreq ethernet cable has a lead that is grounded to an Olympus ten.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how much of a difference this cable has made. Easily one of the biggest upgrades in streaming I’ve tried.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is my chain considered a direct connection and or a bridged connection?

Router - ethernet cable - antipodes server/player (single box) - usb cable - dac

If one can suggest, what can be potentially added for most bang for buck improvement, does having a server/player in a single box make the some parts of the "ultra trifecta" redundant?

Hope someone can chime in, thanks in advance!

On 4/4/2022 at 2:30 AM, LondonDan said:

Frank, after going through this wonderful thread with hours and hours and days and days of great audio lovers investigations into their network streaming (hugely appreciated and helpful thread with lots of fantastic insight) I used the recommendations to take some shortcuts experimenting which is here. Pointing you towards this as the pictures can be helpful which is why I put it together. It’s only testing one brand of network switch so it’s not a comparison but there is loads of suggestions in the wider thread to try others too.

Looked at it and just one word, wow.

3 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Does anyone know where I can buy Apacer 8gb or 16gb with Samsung chips? 

Or have part number? 

DDR4 or DDR5?  Based on my recent email with Apacer two weeks ago, DDR5 will not be in production until at least June 2022.  Not sure if Samsung chips will be used when the production starts.

4 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Does anyone know where I can buy Apacer 8gb or 16gb with Samsung chips? 

Or have part number? 

I ordered mine at Mouser, yet that was the 4Gb version.