IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

@Jonder, @Lauritsvd? You are using different clock solder pads. And I believe according to newclassd clock replacement instructions you need one  of the clock pads, the input of the Broadcom chip, and ground. And I think you need to remove two capacitors that connected to the clock pads.

Newclassd had an instruction on his site under the Neutron star section but for some reason I can’t access it anymore, very irritating.

edit: found it,

https://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=37&hv=1

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

@Superdad The Belden 1354 was supplied with the clock so I don’t know the reasoning behind it. You could always contact Anders at LC Audio for his reasoning.

@RickyV I noticed that the connection points were different. On the first switch that I changed the clock on I found the input by trial and error and that connection was the one that worked. By connecting to the other pad the switch failed to boot properly.

Hello gents... 

I have a cascade of 2 ER's before my Aries G2 streamer, tethered to Mutec REF10 and powered with 2 x LPS. 

Incredible sound. 

Would a 3rd ER give an additional boost, or have I hit the limit?  Thanks! 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

11 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Hello gents... 

I have a cascade of 2 ER's before my Aries G2 streamer, tethered to Mutec REF10 and powered with 2 x LPS. 

Incredible sound. 

Would a 3rd ER give an additional boost, or have I hit the limit?  Thanks! 

I have 3x Bonn Silent Angels upfront the Etherregen clicked with Afterdark and both powered Farad Super3 and Bonn with lps1.2

Every switch added opened sound and added more stereo separation. Why I don’t have a clue only layman underpinning.

If have a chance to try do it

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

18 minutes ago, ambre said:

I have 3x Bonn Silent Angels upfront the Etherregen clicked with Afterdark and both powered Farad Super3 and Bonn with lps1.2

Every switch added opened sound and added more stereo separation. Why I don’t have a clue only layman underpinning.

If have a chance to try do it

Thanks man...I suppose that you prefer the Bonn more than the ER, going by their numbers in your chain....Care to compare?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

19 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Thanks man...I suppose that you prefer the Bonn more than the ER, going by their numbers in your chain....Care to compare?

No that’s not the case the price is much lower for me due my relationship.Normal price Bonn Silent Angel is approx. €375 and modified €595 commercial company Kemp Electronics but my model is more modified too.

Maybe some day I can test multiple ER with independent power and master clock with more outlets to hear what happens??

@Superdad

I am hesitating to start with fiber due to the heavy dispute is going on in another thread.

Not sure if it brings more than cascading dedicated switches in line???

The same approach more or less is now presented by Afterdark with their new Melco= Buffalo 16 p switch.

@AfterDark.

Still it’s amazing that cascading is that good. A compared to a new better Dac / Streamer cheap.

Ps. I am glad to that I have left the USB road ( with reclockers, Usb Ethernet Bridge etc...) 

I prefer my Dac/ Streamer Auralic Vega G2.1 much better. With the Etherregen with Clock and the Bonn’s sounds amazing good.

Besides that the Auralic app is so nice and easy with Qobuz Hires.

I don’t need a very heavy pc for upsampling by means of HQ player anymore ..,.the ease of present system is that great that my family loves it now 😜

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, lake_eleven said:

Anyone using Shunyata Venom V14 Digital on the switch. I put one on my switch expecting a good improvement. But it is disappointing after a week of burn in. It sounds bright and harsh. Anyone having experience with V14 Digital?

I never heard bright and harsh from mine.  I have 3 of these (but with only 2 in use right now). The V14D used with my Farad Super3 powers my EtherRegen.  This actually brought a more organic and natural sound relative to a Nordost cord that I used prior to that.  

What do you have the V14D plugged into?  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

9 hours ago, lake_eleven said:

Anyone using Shunyata Venom V14 Digital on the switch. I put one on my switch expecting a good improvement. But it is disappointing after a week of burn in. It sounds bright and harsh. Anyone having experience with V14 Digital?

Power cord burn takes a LOT longer than a week. Remember you are drawing only very small currents with these network devices. I use an adaptor to hook up my power cords to a reciprocating fan, 24 hours a day for a couple of weeks. 

switching on and off also somehow helps speeding up burn-in.

If you can try fibre optic....especially when you can try it with the solarflare card

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I never heard bright and harsh from mine.  I have 3 of these (but with only 2 in use right now). The V14D used with my Farad Super3 powers my EtherRegen.  This actually brought a more organic and natural sound relative to a Nordost cord that I used prior to that.  

What do you have the V14D plugged into?  

I have connected it to my ethernet switch, which connects to streamer through fiber Network cable using SFPs.

Thanks others. I will leave it breaking-in for a week more and report back. Else Iam planning to scale back to V14 regular to see if it works better.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:33 PM, auricgoldfinger said:

Here were my impressions of the MGB-TLX, FTLF1318PBTL, and FTLF1324P3BTL.  The "older" Finisar which I reference is the FTLF1324P3BTL, and the "newer" Finisar is the FTLF1318P3BTL.  [I purchased the FTLF1321P3BTL last November, but they vanished into the DHL ether.  I still waiting for a refund.]

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/679/?tab=comments#comment-1064229

So is Finisar 1324 better than 1321? Read back in december as 1321 sounded better than other SFPs, and now looks like another winner has emerged!

Hi Guys,

I already installed solarflare 8522 with Finisar 1318 in both sides so now I`m testing some parameters and realize that card is very sensitive, it can sound very bad if you disable everything for example. Anyone have some tips about how to setup ? also I notice the increase of latency using latency Monitor, I tried to change some parameters as per the manual shows but no luck, using the basic default config it`s sound amazing already.

3 hours ago, lake_eleven said:

So is Finisar 1324 better than 1321? Read back in december as 1321 sounded better than other SFPs, and now looks like another winner has emerged!

The 1321 finally arrived, but I have not been able to compare them to the 1318.  I am unaware of anyone who has published a head-to-head comparison of these 2 models.  I did not like the 1324 in my system.

It seems that the optimal choice among these SFPs depends the devices on which they are being used as well as general system characteristics and listener preferences.

3 hours ago, lake_eleven said:

I’m not aware of a 1321.  Did you mean 1318?

The 1318 gets awfully close to the 1324.  I really think one has to hear both to decide which better suits their system and their ears.  The 1324 was a bit more laid back, and that made it the better fit for me.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

7 hours ago, lake_eleven said:

I have connected it to my ethernet switch, which connects to streamer through fiber Network cable using SFPs.

Thanks others. I will leave it breaking-in for a week more and report back. Else Iam planning to scale back to V14 regular to see if it works better.

Which SFPs?  Also my question about “plugged into” was aimed more at the power side.  Mine is plugged into a Shunyata Denali v1.  The V14D seemed to improve the Denali in the sense that it seemed better at dropping the noise floor.  The noise reduction built into Shunyata cords actually filters what’s coming out of the cord so that the noise passed onto other components is reduced.

1 minute ago, auricgoldfinger said:

20210324_194645.jpg

Noooo not another one!  🤨😀