IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

See Nuno's post in link below which clarifies why he thinks the inclusion of LEDs can be noisy.

That's not what you said in your reply.

LEDs are not inherently noisy, so LEDs when drawing a continuous fixed current from a non noisy D.C.  power supply, such as an indicator LED powered via a suitable resistance value do not generate any readily measured noise .

In fact, you will see a LED used as a voltage reference used in the ultra Low Noise Jung Voltage Regulator

Low Noise Walt Jung Voltage Regulator.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/35821-noise-measurements-leds-zener-diodes.html Also read with interest that many LEDs become more noisy when they are exposed to light 🤔

Noise from LED's is not really a new topic, though I'm not aware of LED design changed a lot since or that newer LEDs have been measured for noise... that design guide telling designers to avoid LED's may really actually mean something, so do responses by people reporting to hearing a difference.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

great info! Nice, so that is one worry less if the power supplied to the LEDs is clean (meaning no PWM)

If Walt Jung is using them it's fine for me too...I have him in high regard!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Just now, MarcelNL said:

great info! Nice, so that is one worry less if the power supplied to the LEDs is clean (meaning no PWM)

If Walt Jung is using them it's fine for me too...I have him in high regard!

Some interesting info in the link I just added.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

Indeed on the buffalo, turning off the leds does sound substantially better than keeping them on...

much less harshness and having more clear and holographic image

so i purposely put a toggle switch to turn off the leds...

468886250_WhatsAppImage2021-03-03at10_09_01AM.thumb.jpeg.5f97e01df19f3b7308d49f36c808c5a2.jpeg

How did you turn off Buffalo leds ?

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

The noise generated by those LEDs would be far below the needed amount to generate any interference if drawing a specified continuous current.

@sandyk, others: Would continuous be a caveat in this discussion?

In other words: would flashing LEDs such as in a switch be suspected to be a noise(ier) source, however small, as opposed to the steady-state indicators we see indicating "on" status, etc.? Cheers...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

10 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

Indeed on the buffalo, turning off the leds does sound substantially better than keeping them on...

much less harshness and having more clear and holographic image

so i purposely put a toggle switch to turn off the leds...

468886250_WhatsAppImage2021-03-03at10_09_01AM.thumb.jpeg.5f97e01df19f3b7308d49f36c808c5a2.jpeg

Extraordinary modd! Barely recognized the Buffalo. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

it`s basically something used to overclock or downclock gaming mice, but it works with other stuff as well.

i tried it with my dac out of curiosity and there is a noticeable change in the sound, try it and see if you like what it does.

just follow this video or some other one on youtube cuz there`s a million of them:

11 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

however in my experience.. the buffalo does not seem to boot up properly if the leds panel is off..... so it has to be on during boot up.... after boot up the panel can be turned on and off as desired

Strange, I just removed the ribbon cable to the front panel and the switch turned right on without a fuss. This is externally power via DIY SJ DC3.

Can't wait to listen for improvements.

I have a question on SFP <-> switch compatibility. I have been using Cisco 2960 switch with TPLink MC200CM fmc, Cisco SPFs and multimode fiber cable without issue on my streamer. As many in this forum has been using Finisar FTLF1321P1BTL SFP with single mode cable, I tried this with my Cisco 2960 switch. But the streamer is not getting internet. Wanted to know if Finisar single mode SFP is compatible with the 2960 catalyst series switch.

1 hour ago, lake_eleven said:

I have a question on SFP <-> switch compatibility. I have been using Cisco 2960 switch with TPLink MC200CM fmc, Cisco SPFs and multimode fiber cable without issue on my streamer. As many in this forum has been using Finisar FTLF1321P1BTL SFP with single mode cable, I tried this with my Cisco 2960 switch. But the streamer is not getting internet. Wanted to know if Finisar single mode SFP is compatible with the 2960 catalyst series switch.

Nope. Not unless it has the Cisco compatible code baked into it. Not sure if Finisair offers that. There might be a way in console to get a non-Cisco compatible switch to work, but that's beyond me. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 3/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, Jonder said:

I have now upgraded my Buffalo switch using an L C Audio XO3 clock. The initial improvement was that one upgraded switch was equal to two stock switches in series. After 48 hrs of burn in the upgraded switch is now league’s away from stock.

The separation between instruments is much much better. The sound stage has grown in height and depth. Voices and instruments are much clearer with much more texture. Music with a heavy bass is very tight with more texture.
A very worthwhile upgrade. I will be doing the same upgrade with the other switch using the other clock output. I just wonder how much better the Pink Faun clock is considering the substantial difference in cost. I doubt it is worth it!

I will post photos and a description of how to do the upgrade in another post.

Thank’s ,  very interested in your tutorial on how to do it .

Jean-Michel 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

next time you could try some desoldering wick, it is loaded with flux and sucks up the solder. Or a desoldering vacuum thingy.