IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Are you asking if all other things are the same, will the 65 watt cpu sound the same as the 125 watt cpu? And if not, which will sound better?

Yes, exactly.  And if one sounds better than the other, why?

I acknowledge @StreamFidelity's point that an i7-10700 may just be a lower binned i9-10900K that didn't test well enough to meet i9-10900K specs.

I spent nearly a year in Burlington, VT testing the PS3 chip at an IBM manufacturing facility.  The amount of test data collected about each chip is mind boggling, way beyond any published specs. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I have been questioning about the debate of high power CPUs vs lower power ones. I really can't see a point for going to maximum CPU power for listening to music. High power induces to many problems /issues. I do not mean that low power CPUs like some Xeons at 17-25 watts could outperform anything but on the other hand I really cannot see any point of going to 125W TDP. 

I had played around with turbo boost and multithreading on my Euphony double pc setup, on both control and end point PCs. Both kill sound. Additionally, splitting any specific process to more than 1 core, also kills sound quality. I don't know what is valid with windows OS but with Euphony platform I have settled to the maximum power I could attain with a quad core Xeon CPU with only 2 cores active per machine, thus 2 cores for control point and 2 cores for end point. This way I have been able to fully suspend almost half power per unit. I am working at 3.6 GHz and haven't noticed any decrease in dynamics, on the contrary music has never been more impactful and live. 

I think that numerous benefits come when power is decreased specially when you minimize waste of power. Power supplies are much easier to be built. 

I am not the most experienced guy in digital streaming (far from it) but during the last months I have gained some experience and this is the reason I am writing down my findings. I got the best results with a 4-core Xeon cpu running at 3.6GHz,with 2 cores suspended in BIOS no multithrrading, no speedstep, no turbo boost. 

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
1 hour ago, rickca said:

Yes, exactly.  And if one sounds better than the other, why?

I acknowledge @StreamFidelity's point that an i7-10700 may just be a lower binned i9-10900K that didn't test well enough to meet i9-10900K specs.

I spent nearly a year in Burlington, VT testing the PS3 chip at an IBM manufacturing facility.  The amount of test data collected about each chip is mind boggling, way beyond any published specs. 

Rick,

I too am having trouble discerning what your question is. Does this recent post of mine, detailing the differences I heard between i7-8700T and i7-8700K, help in any way? Or are you asking a different set of questions?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1044662

3 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Long day to say the least! 10 hour shift actually!!!

HPlex H5 base plate removed, and replaced with Panzerholz Wood (it’s so heavy & dense). 

I’ll deal with aesthetics later! For now just used black isolation tape. 

I didn’t weigh my server but suspect it’s over 35lbs. Bloody heavy! 

As you can see from photo I left extra wood at the rear so cable sit on the wood also. 

I’ll report on SQ tomorrow! 

@Nenon

7B886660-58C5-41CD-A90D-642C2A8D7575.jpeg

DB6B1CC3-9940-4912-B0CE-8040036E4083.jpeg

902C9E90-7586-49AE-969D-848F3E2E000E.jpeg

0986816C-14EB-4F91-8A99-FA8F36717539.jpeg

B1DFC233-F52B-4679-97D0-1EFA729BC70A.jpeg

Did you have to get the wood custom cut to fit the chassis?

1 hour ago, Peter Avgeris said:

I have been questioning about the debate of high power CPUs vs lower power ones. I really can't see a point for going to maximum CPU power for listening to music. High power induces to many problems /issues. I do not mean that low power CPUs like some Xeons at 17-25 watts could outperform anything but on the other hand I really cannot see any point of going to 125W TDP. 

I had played around with turbo boost and multithreading on my Euphony double pc setup, on both control and end point PCs. Both kill sound. Additionally, splitting any specific process to more than 1 core, also kills sound quality. I don't know what is valid with windows OS but with Euphony platform I have settled to the maximum power I could attain with a quad core Xeon CPU with only 2 cores active per machine, thus 2 cores for control point and 2 cores for end point. This way I have been able to fully suspend almost half power per unit. I am working at 3.6 GHz and haven't noticed any decrease in dynamics, on the contrary music has never been more impactful and live. 

I think that numerous benefits come when power is decreased specially when you minimize waste of power. Power supplies are much easier to be built. 

I am not the most experienced guy in digital streaming (far from it) but during the last months I have gained some experience and this is the reason I am writing down my findings. I got the best results with a 4-core Xeon cpu running at 3.6GHz,with 2 cores suspended in BIOS no multithrrading, no speedstep, no turbo boost. 

Peter what Power supplies are you using with your Euphony setup?

37 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Long day to say the least! 10 hour shift actually!!!

HPlex H5 base plate removed, and replaced with Panzerholz Wood (it’s so heavy & dense). 

I’ll deal with aesthetics later! For now just used black isolation tape. 

I didn’t weigh my server but suspect it’s over 35lbs. Bloody heavy! 

As you can see from photo I left extra wood at the rear so cable sit on the wood also. 

@Nenon

7B886660-58C5-41CD-A90D-642C2A8D7575.jpeg

DB6B1CC3-9940-4912-B0CE-8040036E4083.jpeg

902C9E90-7586-49AE-969D-848F3E2E000E.jpeg

0986816C-14EB-4F91-8A99-FA8F36717539.jpeg

B1DFC233-F52B-4679-97D0-1EFA729BC70A.jpeg

What is this wood supposed to do? 

43 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Same wood used on Taiko Extreme, also used in Pianos. Being so dense would result in less vibrations I suppose. Also add weight to server which is a good thing. 

There are denser materials that will add even more weight.  That it is used in pianos is irrelevant.  The only value that I can see(!) is that it looks nice.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Yesterday, I installed an FMC to separate my wireless network from my wired music network. This turned out to be very straightforward process. Noise floor dropped a bit and there is an ease in music playback as well. The sound is slightly less fatiguing. FMC is not fed with linear power and is a general Startech FMC I had laying around unused.

Today, I attempted further separation with individual vlans and i've reached a point where i'll be rolling back for the time being. As far as I know, the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X SFP does not have multicast routing functionality, so uPNP on the music server vlan simply does not reach my wireless control point. Per the internet, there are methods using a debian server to play a role in performing multicast routing capabilities but i'd rather go with a router with native support, as I do not want to introduce another device to this network unless I absolutely must.

In other news, the BS-GS2016P (bone stock) with the configurations @austinpop posted sounds very good. I tried the top ports just for giggles and I would describe the presentation as a bit sharp in the vocal range. In stock form, I feel that the impact on bass/mids is well worth it. Looking forward to feeding this switch better power in the future.

32 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Taiko use this wood as an Isolation platform. Have you tested it?

18 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Last year Emile sent me three Daiza vibration damping and control platforms of three different sizes. The big one is under my heavy Modwright KWA150 SE amp, one under an LPS1.2 powering an Adnaco USB hub, and the smallest under my DAC. All are made from Panzerholtz and have anti-vibration grooves cut into the bottom. Each is supported by three legs. Here is a picture.

https://taikoaudio.com/product/daiza/

They sound terrific! The DAC platform had the most impact here so start there. Highly recommended.

I like ASRMichael's use of Panzerholtz wood in his build. Way cool!

Larry

I know there's some value in controlling vibration wherever possible. 

I've personally tried Critical Mass shelves or platforms, which they call filters. I compared it to a thick block of maple, common for turntables. How much better panzerholtz wood is compared to these options I don't know. I didn't hear much of a difference personally. I only did this experiment for my turntable. If you own one you know how sensitive the cart is. Besides listening to music I would tapp on the platform listening for a discernable change. Not enough there to justify the cost of a Critical Mass platform. Just better places to invest. Unlimited budget? Sure, why not. 

http://www.criticalmasssystems.com/

I do isolate all my equipment with tungsten carbide berrings in polished aluminum cups on top of Herbie's isolation material. In theory it helps. It's on the micro list of improvements. 

6 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Nice.

6 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Can't wait. Those are the kind of tests we need to do and share. Those are the type of tests that keep developing the DIY community.

4 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

There are denser materials that will add even more weight.

Osmium?

4 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That it is used in pianos is irrelevant.  The only value that I can see(!) is that it looks nice.

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No and I am not likely to do so.

What's the purpose of your previous comment if you have not tried it and not likely to do? How do your comments help our DIY community? 

4 hours ago, lmitche said:

They sound terrific! The DAC platform had the most impact here so start there. Highly recommended.

Thank you for the feedback. I have been planning to try them for some time too. May do sooner... 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I know there's some value in controlling vibration wherever possible. 

I've personally tried Critical Mass shelves or platforms, which they call filters. I compared it to a thick block of maple, common for turntables. How much better panzerholtz wood is compared to these options I don't know. I didn't hear much of a difference personally. I only did this experiment for my turntable. If you own one you know how sensitive the cart is. Besides listening to music I would tapp on the platform listening for a discernable change. Not enough there to justify the cost of a Critical Mass platform. Just better places to invest. Unlimited budget? Sure, why not. 

http://www.criticalmasssystems.com/

I do isolate all my equipment with tungsten carbide berrings in polished aluminum cups on top of Herbie's isolation material. In theory it helps. It's on the micro list of improvements. 

Several Extreme owners rave about the CMS footers.

18 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Several Extreme owners rave about the CMS footers.

Yup I know.  I had the footers under the platform.  Never tried them against the berring/cups but probably should have.

If I were to replace my current rack with a Critical Mass rack it would cost around $6k.  Had there been any significant difference with the turntable I would have done it.  Who knows, maybe replacing the entire thing instead of just a shelf would compound the result, but there's a lot you can do with $6k.

28 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I would send it to you for you to review but suspect you have came to your conclusion already.

I cannot say that I have concluded that it cannot work but I have not seen any compelling reason to bother with it.  It is always better to find a receptive reviewer just as I prefer to review products that, for various reasons, appeal to me emotionally or intellectually. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

15 hours ago, lmitche said:

Last year Emile sent me three Daiza vibration damping and control platforms of three different sizes. The big one is under my heavy Modwright KWA150 SE amp, one under an LPS1.2 powering an Adnaco USB hub, and the smallest under my DAC. All are made from Panzerholtz and have anti-vibration grooves cut into the bottom. Each is supported by three legs. Here is a picture.

https://taikoaudio.com/product/daiza/

I like ASRMichael's use of Panzerholtz wood in his build. Way cool!

Larry

Hi Larry,

how do you couple your devices to the Daiza platforms?

Do you use the stock feet or special ones?

Emile mentioned on WBF to not use any compliant material for the feet and most stock ones are compliant.

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)