IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 minute ago, matthias said:

Hi Larry

how do you couple your devices to the Daiza platforms?

Do you use the stock feet or special ones?

Emile mentioned on WBF to not use any compliant material for the feet and most stock ones are compliant.

Thanks

Matt

I am not sure what compliant means in this context. Can you please explain?

Thanks,

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Thanks,

Larry

Any material that is compressible like rubber, felt and other damping materials and therefore can act like a spring.

Emile recommends hard material with small contact area between the devices and the Daizas.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

4 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Thanks,

Larry

Compliant means soft or ‘reshapable’.  Rubber feet are compliant, Sorbothane is very compliant. 

When it comes to footers and platforms, its important to know that for vibration to pass from one material to another, the 2 materials should be quite similar in stiffness and density.  Such a matching would be considered low impedance, vibration could pass easily between the 2 materials, so the devices would be coupled, vibrationally.  A high impedance interface is something like Sorbothane together with say Aluminium or Steel. In this case the vibrating Aluminium/Steel being low compliance would have a pretty hard time exciting the Sorbothane and vice versa so the effect would be one of isolation.....the device’s internal vibration would remain within the device, but the Sorbothane would isolate the device from external vibration. 

Obviously based on the note from Taiko, their Panzerholz platform needs to be coupled to the device its protecting, thereby acting as a sink for the device’s vibration. 

12 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Obviously based on the note from Taiko, their Panzerholz platform needs to be coupled to the device its protecting, thereby acting as a sink for the device’s vibration. 

i have my DAC on a Daiza as well. I have the body of the DAC resting on three small ceramic tiles (vs the rubber feet) to get that direct coupling.  

Alas, tuning a mechanical system can be an iterative process. For example the weight of the DAC will impact coupling and resonance frequencies as well, so weights on top of the DAC could also have an impact, depending on which vibrational frequencies are having an audible impact in the DAC. 

Conceptually, the goal is to drain vibrational energy away, and/or shift it to frequencies that are less impactful. For us EE types (vs ME types) it has been helpful for me to think of the mechanical system as a circuit, that is coupling through a transducer (capacitors, clocks, wires, etc) to the electrical system in the DAC

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Thankfully it is Fathers Day, so all dad jokes get a pass (my kids are suffering today too ;)

i have the panzerholtz footers on my Extreme, but I did not look into footers for my Chord DAVE.  that would be worth a quick listen (I can hear the impact of mechanical changes pretty quickly with the binaural tracks you’ve been sampling Rajiv...that holographic sound stage is very sensitive)

Previously I had a stack of an Acoustic Revive platform to Black Ravioli pads to rubber footers to DAVE. When I added roller balls to get horizontal isolation, that had a huge impact, but the BR pads actually made things worse. I got best sound when the roller balls were rigidly coupled to the Acoustic Revive base, and my DAC was rigidly coupled to the horizontally isolated base. 

The Daiza by itself is pretty good. On my list is to revisit horizontal isolation with the Daiza, but I haven’t gotten there yet. 

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Yowsa!  400 E for just the smallest one.  Too rich for my blood ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

During the evolution of this thread there has been some interesting discussions on power supplies.  I am building a new server for my system and I found something interesting.  I have been using an HDPLEX 400 PS to run my Xeon server.  When I built out my AMD Ryzen 7300 board I have found that it might be a bit too much for the HDPLEX.  (still fussing with turning stuff off in the BIOS).  

During this shortage of parts from China, etc. I ended up with a really overkill PS for one of my systems and just for the fun of it, I put it on the server.  I do not want to comment a lot on this yet, but it is interesting.  This 1600w supply barely gets warm and in ECO mode I have not had the fan come on yet.  

Here is the test setup.  The big HDPLEX runs the Motherboard and the little HDPLEX runs the USB chain and the OpticalModule

IMG_1657.thumb.jpeg.4804f20329705439f2bbfba685fc7312.jpeg

I grabbed the EVGA supply and hooked it up just because!

IMG_1658.thumb.jpeg.7bd41a68ff2ae9dcb6e9ad011bdd5885.jpeg

Extended testing

IMG_1659.thumb.jpeg.90ee933ecb500e0276b2581b2d69f8db.jpeg

So has anyone else taken one of this 80plus Platinum supplies and tried it???  I would love to compare notes.  

Bob

35 minutes ago, bobfa said:

During the evolution of this thread there has been some interesting discussions on power supplies.  I am building a new server for my system and I found something interesting.  I have been using an HDPLEX 400 PS to run my Xeon server.  When I built out my AMD Ryzen 7300 board I have found that it might be a bit too much for the HDPLEX.  (still fussing with turning stuff off in the BIOS).  

During this shortage of parts from China, etc. I ended up with a really overkill PS for one of my systems and just for the fun of it, I put it on the server.  I do not want to comment a lot on this yet, but it is interesting.  This 1600w supply barely gets warm and in ECO mode I have not had the fan come on yet.  

Here is the test setup.  The big HDPLEX runs the Motherboard and the little HDPLEX runs the USB chain and the OpticalModule

IMG_1657.thumb.jpeg.4804f20329705439f2bbfba685fc7312.jpeg

I grabbed the EVGA supply and hooked it up just because!

IMG_1658.thumb.jpeg.7bd41a68ff2ae9dcb6e9ad011bdd5885.jpeg

Extended testing

IMG_1659.thumb.jpeg.90ee933ecb500e0276b2581b2d69f8db.jpeg

So has anyone else taken one of this 80plus Platinum supplies and tried it???  I would love to compare notes.  

Bob

Hi Bob,

Over here an EVGA 1600 watt T2 was used for years powering a i7-6700k rig used for Hqplayer upsampling. When the split power idea was still in it's infancy, a jumper allowed the EVGA to power the CPU without connection to the 24 pin ATX. The latter was powered by a 200 watt Hdplex with the 19 volt output powering a 250 watt Hdplex DC to DC ATX. 

The SQ jump from the "split" was immediate and obvious. Splitting the power lets one use a kill-a-watt to measure power demand from the motherboard and CPU separately. By doing this I learned that the combined 12 and 19 current demand was "safe" for the Hdplex with restricted BIOS settings and native playback, so the EVGA was no longer used. Since then the 6700k has become an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 and the 12 volt ATX power has been moved to a Sigma 11 power supply. I'm still doing native playback with Roon.

I haven't tried the EVGA in two years, and never with the AMD rig. I can do so if you like and let you know my impressions. It would surprise me if it sounds better then what I have today, but you never know.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

8 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hi Bob,

Over here an EVGA 1600 watt T2 was used for years powering a i7-6700k rig used for Hqplayer upsampling. When the split power idea was still in it's infancy, a jumper allowed the EVGA to power the CPU without connection to the 24 pin ATX. The latter was powered by a 200 watt Hdplex with the 19 volt output powering a 250 watt Hdplex DC to DC ATX. 

The SQ jump from the "split" was immediate and obvious. Splitting the power lets one use a kill-a-watt to measure power demand from the motherboard and CPU separately. By doing this I learned that the combined 12 and 19 current demand was "safe" for the Hdplex with restricted BIOS settings and native playback, so the EVGA was no longer used. Since then the 6700k has become an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 and the 12 volt ATX power has been moved to a Sigma 11 power supply. I'm still doing native playback with Roon.

I haven't tried the EVGA in two years, and never with the AMD rig. I can do so if you like and let you know my impressions. It would surprise me if it sounds better then what I have today, but you never know.

Larry

I did this as a lark and a stopgap until I can figure out the next steps.  I would say that "color me surprised" that is sounds pretty good. It may be better than the hdplex 400 on its own.     Right now I have a big decision to make as to what powers this thing going forward and I needed something that did not feel like it was hotter than I like it.

Way too many options to test right now.  I have to target this better.

So I have power that sounds good, does not make fan noises.   Good place to be in the middle of this project.

If you time and want to test please let me know.

bob

Back when Seasonic brought out the 520FL, it gained a following for its performance with audiophiles along with some notoriety for coil whine.  They have recently superseded  this model with the PX/TX seres of fanless PSUs.  These, and the similar Silverstone supplies have low ripple and being fanless, have overspeced and high quality parts that may suit them to audio applications.

Martin.

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

In my industry, Financial Services, we have Chief Compliance Officers that ensure that an institution has processes and procedures that "comply" to government regulations. These people are not flexible in any way. Strangely the term regulatory compliance is lately being replaced with regulatory adherence, which is closer to the meaning here.

Anyway, obviously I missed the "adherence" memo from Emile so thanks for filling me in. Based your input above, a maple block was placed between my DAC and the Daiza platform. Lastly the feet of my endpoint on the mid-sized platform were removed.  Weights are placed on both boxes. Coincidentally both boxes contain clocks.

The impact was immediate, more coherence across the spectrum, punchier bass, and the removal of congestion on some previously problematic test tracks.

The drums and bass in Patti Smith's new single "Jubilee" has real punch now.

On the last third of Cecile McLoren Salvant's, "What a Little Moonlight Can Do", on the Woman Child album, with the frenetic bass and drum play it can be difficult to separate the instruments. That is greatly improved now.

The last Third of Dixie Chicks new single "Julianna Calm Down" is much more transparent as well. It can be horribly congested when  things are setup wrong.

So many thanks to all of you for this Fathers Day gift. Enjoy the day.

Larry

OK one more Dad joke... where Daiza will, Daiza way!

Glad to hear about your good results, Larry!

On 6/20/2020 at 4:07 PM, austinpop said:

I too am having trouble discerning what your question is. Does this recent post of mine, detailing the differences I heard between i7-8700T and i7-8700K, help in any way? Or are you asking a different set of questions?

Yes, of course I remember your post and it was very helpful.  It's one of the things that got me asking this question.  Quite simply, other things being equal, would a 65W i7-10700 sound the same as a 125W i7-10700K or would one of them sound better?

In your post, you were using different motherboards with the i7-8700T and i7-8700K.  That will make a difference, but probably not as much as the CPU.

So the 95W CPU sounds a lot better than the 35W CPU.  Does this mean that a 125W CPU is going to be better than a 95W CPU?  Not necessarily, right?  As you mention, the power supply quality (and wattage) is an effective constraint.  A 65W CPU is actually a lot closer to a 95W watt CPU than a 35W CPU ... especially when you put frequency limits on the 95W CPU ... because things like CPU frequency/voltage don't respond in a linear fashion.

I suspect that turbo algorithms used to stay within the TDP power budget strongly influence the sound quality.  These algorithms have to work a lot more aggressively on a 35W CPU than on a 65W CPU.  They certainly affect the load on the power supply.  Different operating systems and music players sound different because they do different processing.  I'm suggesting something similar is happening with the processor firmware.

It's complicated.    

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

So the 95W CPU sounds a lot better than the 35W CPU.  Does this mean that a 125W CPU is going to be better than a 95W CPU?

I should add- when the Ryzen 3900x ran with stock settings (XFR, default vcore etc) it would consume 125w (wall) steady using my selected filters + modulators with HQP.

When dropping vcore max to 1.0v, wall consumption dropped to 80w (wall) steady, and yet it was able to achieve the same processing, albeit with absolutely slaughtered sound.  CPU clock speed was closer to 3.3ghz iirc instead of 4ghz when vcore not modified.

Is it possible that when power shedding / saving mechanisms contribute heavily towards degraded SQ?  If so what metrics would we investigate to help correlate this?  C-State transitions?  Current demands?

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Arrived this morning via FedEx 😁

IMG_2487.jpeg

Excited for your feedback. Pardon my ignorance on the topic but would removing the feet and placing the device directly on the Daiza further improve vibration control characteristics? (or is it the complete opposite?)