IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Need some advice. I have 2 of LPS-1 and 2 of LPS-1.2. (The LPS-1 is not in use). 

Will adding a DXP-1A5DSC to either of the UpTone LPS give same result if I’m after 5V ?
This is the main question, as then I probably can achieve a lot using my present power supplies adding Alexey’s modules. 

I need a better way to power my opticalrendu than my present LPS-1.2. After upgrade to 2.8 I got problems. 

My first taught was the Farad supply, but maybe parallel two LPS-1.2 with the correct combination of @[email protected] modules will add the extra amp I’m after. I understand limit is 1.5A, so maybe still a bit low, but should be ok or ? (Just noticed Sonore PS output 1.5A, so I guess 1.5 is OK then). 

If so, what (boxed) items need to purchased ? And at what voltages ?

Another thought is using 4 LPS-1 in serial and parallel with Alexey’s boxes, if I’m able to get 2 more LPS-1 at a very reasonable price.

I have the etherRegen powered by Uptone stock SMPS, and an unused opticalModule.

The second LPS-1.2 is powering the 5V to my modded SU1. 

So good advices how to best put all this together at the most reasonable price (and best SQ) would be very helpful. 

I think my opticalrendu sounds a bit better at 9V than 7V. What’s other people’s experience ?

I suppose if Sonore sold their 7V supplies in 9V versions, then adding the DXP-1A5DSC would be equal to using Farad ?
That said, I think Sonore’s PS is equal to some very cheap Chinese PS. At least I’ve seen some that looks equal. If I’m able to find these Chinese PS again, and adding the DXP-1A5DSC, is this a way to go ?

Some key points:

1. the DXP-1A5DSC units can and do improve regulation, so can improve the SQ of an existing PSU. But the driving PSU's quality still matters. So, using a DXP-1A5DSC with an el cheapo Chinese LPS will not be the equal of the DXP-1A5DSC with a higher grade PSU. Sorry - I don't have direct experience comparing LPS-1 and LPS-1.2, both with 
  2. The DXP-1A5DSC cannot help you with current capacity, and the innate ability of a PSU to deliver current. So with LPS-1 or 1.2, you're still limited by the 1.1 amp capacity. I would go further and say I prefer LPS-1.2 only when they are run below capacity, at < 1a.
  3. The DXP-1A5DSC will limit you to 1.5A, irrespective of the current capacity of the PSU. You also need to be careful about the voltage drop from input to output - Alexey's chassis is rated to dissipate 5W max. I believe. Check with him before you buy.
  4. you cannot run LPS-1 (or 1.2) in parallel. @Superdad has posted about this quite often.
  5. I don't recommend running 2x LPS-1 in series. It can be done, and it works, but SQ suffers — presumably because the output impedance of both supplies get added in this configuration.

I would say get a Farad Super 3 or Paul Hynes SR-4T - either would make excellent PSUs for the oR. Then use your 2nd LPS-1.2 to power the ER.

2 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Effectively this is what I will have.

Photo - The LPS in the middle

1st - SJ -  LPS DC3 5a (7 rails) (Mundorf options)

- ATX

- EtherRegen

- JCAT Ethernet card

- Pink Faun Ultra USB

- TLS NUC (which I use as a NAS)

2nd - SJ -  LPS DC3 10a (4 rails) (Mundorf options)

- CPU 10A

- Edge Router

- Sonore OM

- TLS NUC OCXO Board

11 rails in total

More detail on Topology PDF attached on how all setup. Shows Voltage and Amps

IMG_0667.jpg

My Hifi.pdf 457.64 kB · 0 downloads

Nice!

I was actually more curious about the rear of the SJ PSUs. How is Sean is delivering ATX on the output of the DC3? Are 3.3, 5, and 12v on a single output, or separate outputs? If single - a single GX16-4 connector? Or a full 24-pin ATX out, like the HDPlex?

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I recently added a modified Melco/Dela S100 switch to my system.  My experience follows.

Background

My first audiophile switch was a modified consumer-grade Linksys SE3008.  SOtM changed capacitors, replaced the switching regulator with a linear regulator, and enabled the switch to be re-clocked by the sCLK-EX board in my tX-USBultra.  Later, the sCLK-EX was re-clocked by their sCLK-OCX10 master clock.  As others have noted, the result was a nice improvement in sound quality.

At some point, we were told that a particular Netgear switch could shunt upstream noise to ground, so I added one before the modified SE3008.  Although I could never hear any difference, I left it in place.  Much later, I tried a Cisco Catalyst 2960.  I heard no change, so I removed it.

I purchased the SOTM sNH-10G audiophile switch a few months after it was released.  To be honest, I was put off by the price and was skeptical of its value.  I knew from prior experience with my tX-USBultra and sMS-200ultra that I could get much better sound quality using 20AWG solid core Neotech silver wire with JSSG 360 shielding rather than the generic 22AWG stranded silver offered as an upgrade by SOtM.  The Neotech upgrade increases openness, transparency, and detail.  Importantly, it also adds body to the sound signature.  Consequently, my sNH-10G does not suffer much from the thinness that others have noted.

Along the way, I acquired a Mutec REF 10 to re-clock the tX-USBultra and sNG-10G.  The REF 10 is a marked improvement over the sCLK-OCX10.

I purchased an EtherREGEN soon after its release to chain with the sNH-10G.  During this time, I removed the Netgear switch from my network and noticed an uptick in sound quality.  I ran this configuration for a few months before deciding to part with the EtherREGEN and try a re-clocked Melco/Dela S100 instead. 

The S100 modifications were made by Pink Faun.  They replaced the 25MHz oscillator on the S100 board with their Ultra OCXO clock module.  They also removed the internal power connectors and soldered those wires directly to the board.  Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they created a 5v input to SEPARATELY power the clock module.  In other words, the modified S100 requires two power supply rails:  a 12v rail for the switch board and a 5v rail for the clock module.

I would like to give credit to @seeteeyou for the idea of modifying an S100 and to @Nenon for giving me his thoughts and suggestions during my due diligence process.

Topology

A simplified representation of my system excluding grounding and power is as follows (apologies for the lack of an easy-to-read flow chart):

NUC7i7DNKE Euphony/Roon Server > Viablue EP-7 Cat 6a > SOtM sNH-10G SE

Synology DS218j > Viablue EP-7 Cat 6a > SOtM sNH-10G SE

Linksys WRT 1900 ACS router > Viablue EP-7 Cat 6a > SOtM sNH-10G SE

SOtM sNH-10G SE* > Single Mode Fiber > Modified Melco S100** > Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Ethernet > NUC7i7DNHE StylusEP > Habst USB Ultra III > tX-USBultra SE* > Synergistic Research Galileo UEF USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Synergistic Research Galileo SX Digital BNC (2) > Chord DAVE > 12AWG 16-wire UniCrystal silver custom headphone cable > HE1000se headphones

* Re-clocked by Mutec REF 10 (Habst Digital BNC)

** Powered by a Farad3 12v and a JCAT Optimo Duo 5v rail.  A 100Mbps port is used to connect to the NUC7i7DNHE endpoint.

(Note:  A particular Finisar SFP recently has become popular for its added transparency and air.  In my system, I found the perceived improvement to be the result of a recessed midrange.  I went back and forth several times to confirm this impression.  In my system, for this particular application, the Planet Technology SFP is clearly superior.)

Listening Impressions

In a nutshell, the modified S100 has profoundly affected my listening experience.  I have implemented many changes during the past few years, upgrading sources, all types of cables, signal regeneration and re-clocking, power, grounding, and RAM.  In a few instances, a tweak or modification resulted in the perception of having acquired an upgraded version of a particular piece of gear.  Others were less dramatic but provided welcome improvements in sound quality.  None had the transformative effect of the modified S100.  Replacing my DNA Stratus headphone amp and Auralic VEGA DAC with the Chord DAVE was the most significant upgrade that I have made to my audio system.  The modified S100 is probably the second most important.

I am not a professional reviewer, and finding the words to properly describe what I am hearing has been challenging.  To begin, the background is very black.  Low level detail is jaw dropping.  I hear much more subtle elements in voices and instruments.  Reverberation and decay are more apparent.  The sound signature is smooth with an extended high frequency response that is not the least bit fatiguing.  Images and soundstage are more focused and coherent.  The acoustical space is more easily discerned.  Tonality, density, and resolution are outstanding.

I consider the sNH-10G to be my baseline switch.  Adding the ER modified the sound, primarily adding body while sacrificing some of the transparency, detail, and spatiality which are the hallmarks of the sNH-10G.  The net result was to tune my system rather than take a major step forward.  Replacing the ER with the modified S100 is an entirely different experience.  As I have attempted to describe above, the modified S100 elevates the sound quality to dramatic new heights.

Fantastic report! Your self-deprecating remarks notwithstanding, your listening impressions are wonderful, and really make me want to hear this mod.

It’s also interesting to read your remarks about the Finisar transceivers, as I am also finding that I like the Planet Tech ones better. To be fair, I’ve only had them in my system only a few days, so these are just preliminary.

52 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

The new server is essentially a replica of the first build in @Nenon's DIY thread.  The main difference is I will be using the HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX converter to power the ATX rather than separate PSU rails as he did.  I will have a 19v/10A SR7t rail powering the HDPLEX and a second 12v/12A SR7t rail directly powering the EPS.  I'm sure you are a generation or two ahead of me there.  😏

Yeah, that should be an outstanding-sounding server. As you know, I've been vocal in considering the PHD SR7TMR2 19v/10a+12v/12a  with HDPlex 800W DC-ATX as a particularly good PSU solution for a music server, but I'm curious to get first hand reports of it.

Remind me again if this build was with AMD 3700X or Intel i9-9900K? And I'm assuming JCAT USB XE and Net Card Femto?

51 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

FYI, I have been notified by the greatest network guru in Greece that the audiophiles *MUST* purchase two net switches and *NEVER* one.

LOL ... you are "preaching to the choir!" If you look back on this thread over the last 3+ years, you'll see this has been explored extensively.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Yes, exactly.  And if one sounds better than the other, why?

I acknowledge @StreamFidelity's point that an i7-10700 may just be a lower binned i9-10900K that didn't test well enough to meet i9-10900K specs.

I spent nearly a year in Burlington, VT testing the PS3 chip at an IBM manufacturing facility.  The amount of test data collected about each chip is mind boggling, way beyond any published specs. 

Rick,

I too am having trouble discerning what your question is. Does this recent post of mine, detailing the differences I heard between i7-8700T and i7-8700K, help in any way? Or are you asking a different set of questions?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1044662

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

In my industry, Financial Services, we have Chief Compliance Officers that ensure that an institution has processes and procedures that "comply" to government regulations. These people are not flexible in any way. Strangely the term regulatory compliance is lately being replaced with regulatory adherence, which is closer to the meaning here.

Anyway, obviously I missed the "adherence" memo from Emile so thanks for filling me in. Based your input above, a maple block was placed between my DAC and the Daiza platform. Lastly the feet of my endpoint on the mid-sized platform were removed.  Weights are placed on both boxes. Coincidentally both boxes contain clocks.

The impact was immediate, more coherence across the spectrum, punchier bass, and the removal of congestion on some previously problematic test tracks.

The drums and bass in Patti Smith's new single "Jubilee" has real punch now.

On the last third of Cecile McLoren Salvant's, "What a Little Moonlight Can Do", on the Woman Child album, with the frenetic bass and drum play it can be difficult to separate the instruments. That is greatly improved now.

The last Third of Dixie Chicks new single "Julianna Calm Down" is much more transparent as well. It can be horribly congested when  things are setup wrong.

So many thanks to all of you for this Fathers Day gift. Enjoy the day.

Larry

OK one more Dad joke... where Daiza will, Daiza way!

Glad to hear about your good results, Larry!

4 hours ago, rickca said:

Quite simply, other things being equal, would a 65W i7-10700 sound the same as a 125W i7-10700K or would one of them sound better?

I think the hardest thing to get right is sizing the PSU for both machines. This is complicated by the fact that the actual power demand is so dependent on energy required to:

• simply POST the machine, given current BIOS settings
  • boot into the OS, given the energy management policy of the OS - e.g. frequency settings and governors in AS and Euphony
  • run the music server workload. We're assuming vanishingly low CPU utilization for native sample-rate playback
  • run other non-music workloads
    • system and application updates
    • library scans
  • Other applications.

What my experience showed me is that the 8700K sounded better than the 8700T at the same operating frequency:

• IF the PSU is big enough to easily energize both CPUs for all the factors above, and
  • when using the performance governor (default) in Euphony that sets and holds the CPU frequency to the max value specified in the settings.

Does this prove anything? Nope. And if asking on any other OS than Euphony, without knowing how the OS will control CPU frequency dynamically, I wouldn't be able to say. But certainly for Euphony, my inclination would be to go with the K CPU, if you're confident of your PSU's capacity.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:41 AM, flkin said:

I have a particularly good recording of the ubiquitous Jazz at the Pawnshop by Naxos and at the beginning of the “High Life” track around the 25 seconds mark, I’m able to clearly hear an order and the bartender’s reply for bottled water. This is with the entire tinned copper loom so it shows that details are resolved just fine. For a bit of fun, can anyone say which brand of water it is? 😄

I can hear the exchange clearly, but I don’t recognize the brand. Not surprising, as I’m not an expert on bottled waters available in Sweden in 1976! 

Pray tell. 

56 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Where does it end....... 🤔

I know you were being mostly facetious, but it’s a great question. Trust me, I’ve asked myself that many times, and of late I’m convinced it’s “whenever you decide.” There IS no end, but we all can and should stop or pause and enjoy our systems as they are.

Regarding prioritizing where to apply the vibration control, I looked at what the goal was. We’re trying to shunt vibrations from the component to the platform via rigid couplers, and relying on the properties of the platform to dissipate this energy. So I attacked components as follows;

• Those with transformers, as these are generators of vibration. Hence PSUs
  • those with clocks as these are very sensitive to vibrations. Hence master clocks and DAC.

That still leaves a bunch of spaghetti in my system unaddressed, so I’m in the same boat as you. Maybe I’ll go further... or not. TBD. ;)

9 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Did you rip it from CD yourself?  If so you could eliminate source file differences by purchasing this album directly from Qobuz.  But - I doubt that's the issue and it has more to do with what you reported.  

No CD involved. This is a very recent 24/48 release. I bought the download files from the label. Can’t imagine they would be different on Qobuz, as this is too new to possibly have other masterings in the wild.