IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 10/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, austinpop said:

Contrary to what many of our naysayers may think, I suspect most of us would be happy to give up upstream tinkering if one day our DACs became completely immune to upstream effects - both good and bad.

Couldn’t agree more...

This has been my day one wish list. Just imagine a clean audio rack without any of those trinkets and clutters. I would be the first one to buy such a DAC, off coarse priced within reasons.

9 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi ray-dude,

Very nice, comprehensive write-up. One quick question. I notice you are using a single LPS1.2 with Ghent Audio Y DC cable to power both ODX clean and dirty sides, but  doesn’t that negate the isolation, providing a copper path between the 2 sides? 

That is true.  That was an experiment on my part (benefit of better power vs the cost of compromised isolation).  The figure in the reviewcan be confusing, since it has a lot of the different configurations I was fiddling with.

What I am currently running is LPS 1.2 to the clean side of ODX (closest to DAC) and a PowerAdd Pilot2 laptop battery to the dirty side of ODX.  I found the LPS 1.2 to have more of a positive impact on the clean side.  I have not yet had access to a third LPS 1.2 to try having one on both sides of the ODX (my other LPS 1.2 is powering my ISORegen)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:50 AM, k-man said:

PLEEAASEEE let there be an AS article on the etherRegen!! So far we've seen the whole trilogy of Rendu reviews (micro, ultra, optical) yet nothing on any Uptone products O.o

Unfortunately , such an article is likely to come under heavy attack by several members with demands for measurements and DBTs to be performed .   

To quote an ex member of this forum

any whiff of commercial enterprise is immediately dismissed & demeaned as snake-oil & not to be trusted

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 10/28/2019 at 11:43 AM, [email protected] said:

well, i decide to start new thread

Great. I will check it out. I have purchased several regulator boards from you in the past. Nice to have input from a member of the trade.

Great. I have previously purchased several regulator boards from your website and they made a nice difference. Glad to have input from a member of the trade.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 10/30/2019 at 9:05 PM, mourip said:

Great. I have previously purchased several regulator boards from your website and they made a nice difference. Glad to have input from a member of the trade.

agree, I have at least 6 of the LDOVR boxes, and this adds a nice touch of stability to my DC requirements

In my experience, LPS-1 + SR LDOVR box > LPS-1.2

On 8/9/2019 at 1:49 AM, Nenon said:

As for the best servers, look up Taiko Extreme. That to me looks like the top server on the market. But I've never seen or heard one. Check out PinkFaun 2.16x, Innuos Statement, etc. There are plenty of options at any price level. 

Here's the verdict

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/innuos-statement-review/post?postid=1822219#1822219

Then I heard the SGM Extreme...Ouch, this server is on a completely another level , probably not as smooth sounding as the Statement but in terms of dynamics,resolution,image there is no comparison. ( the price is different as well...) To go back to my ranking, to me the gap between the number 1 and number 2 is much much wider than between the number 2 vs number 3.

IMHO it's such a mind-boggling read

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-68#post-605309

5 hours ago, flkin said:

I wonder how many people have actually heard the SGM Extreme and the Pink Faun 2.16x?

Preferably in the same system? They have both been out for a while now. 

Exactly, that’s key. I only heard them on a separate occasion, so my impressions aren’t worth anything. 

6 hours ago, flkin said:

I wonder how many people have actually heard the SGM Extreme and the Pink Faun 2.16x?

Preferably in the same system? They have both been out for a while now. 

54 minutes ago, FredM said:

Exactly, that’s key. I only heard them on a separate occasion, so my impressions aren’t worth anything. 

And what about the Grimm audio mu1 an other high quality  Dutchy server. I have heard them all on the x-fi show but not in direct comparison, pity. I really liked the mu1 with ls1 speakers.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

And what about the Grimm audio mu1 an other high quality  Dutchy server. I have heard them all on the x-fi show but not in direct comparison, pity. I really liked the mu1 with ls1 speakers.

Funny that you mention the Grimm MU-1, imho a special server/player. As an one box solution it would actually be perfect for me, the FPGA board seems to be the magic ingredient (Grimm spend more time to develop the MU-1 than on their LS1  active speaker systeem). I heard the MU-1 a couple of times with their LS1, I have never ever heard anything this good, amazing. It’s not just the audiophile talk and superlatives: it brings emotion in an unheard realistic way (during one song, three times I had tears in my eye’s).

So, what do you guess, last month I bought the Grimm... LS1be+dmf active speaker system, haha 😄. With this full system overhaul I’ll now have to take a more gentle/budget friendly approach toward the digital front.

In case you’re interested, on Alpha Audio /youtube there is a 30min interview with Eelco Grimm about the MU-1 (~€10.000). The interview is in Dutch so I hope subtitles are available for non-dutchies. Besides being the co-founder of Grimm Audio, he’s also an university lecturer and is active in fighting the loudness war (recently he release a study about normalisation in cooperation with Tidal based on a 4.2 million albums analysis).

3 hours ago, FredM said:

Funny that you mention the Grimm MU-1, imho a special server/player. As an one box solution it would actually be perfect for me, the FPGA board seems to be the magic ingredient (Grimm spend more time to develop the MU-1 than on their LS1  active speaker systeem). I heard the MU-1 a couple of times with their LS1, I have never ever heard anything this good, amazing. It’s not just the audiophile talk and superlatives: it brings emotion in an unheard realistic way (during one song, three times I had tears in my eye’s).

So, what do you guess, last month I bought the Grimm... LS1be+dmf active speaker system, haha 😄. With this full system overhaul I’ll now have to take a more gentle/budget friendly approach toward the digital front.

In case you’re interested, on Alpha Audio /youtube there is a 30min interview with Eelco Grimm about the MU-1 (~€10.000). The interview is in Dutch so I hope subtitles are available for non-dutchies. Besides being the co-founder of Grimm Audio, he’s also an university lecturer and is active in fighting the loudness war (recently he release a study about normalisation in cooperation with Tidal based on a 4.2 million albums analysis).

wow Fred congratulations on your ls1be purchase that is quite a system. I have talked to Guido Tent a few time, really smart guy, and I bought his CD player years ago. 
Would be nice to have a battle of the Dutchies servers to see what is what but I think it is a little to much to ask for. 

Under development:

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

wow Fred congratulations on your ls1be purchase that is quite a system. I have talked to Guido Tent a few time, really smart guy, and I bought his CD player years ago. 
Would be nice to have a battle of the Dutchies servers to see what is what but I think it is a little to much to ask for. 

Thanks, good that you also mention Guido Tent, fellow Grimm owner and well respected engineer. I’m thrilled with the LS1’s, it plays on a completely other level (data point, previous setup: Harbeth Compact 3, Primaluna Dialogue Premium Integrated HP, Metrum Onyx DAC). A direct comparison between the server/streamer giants would be awesome.

In my situation I’m now pondering about a NUC* with Euphony/StylesEP and an endpoint (especially looking forward to the Pinkfaun Scion and Sonnet Hermes)

* Currently looking into these for Roon Core 

(With thanks to @seeteeyou for previously sharing the site)

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2019/10/incus-a300-actual-pictures.html

Probably of interest to others:

https://www.udoo.org/udoo-bolt/

Embeded Ryzen with ECC support, TDP-down of 12 W and TDP-up of 25 W.  Typical 20V 2.25A (45W) power supply min once memory/SSD is installed, so existing linear power supplies for NUCs like the Paul Hynes SR4 'should' work fine.

Also check out the new thread on the LattePanda Alpha - what's really interesting about this Intel Core M3 based system is its 5w/2A amp current draw as this removes the need for costly large amperage linear power supplies to achieve a server/endpoint config.

But is the use of Apacer Wide Temperature ECC RAM, as opposed to Non-ECC, worth the extra expense and higher power envelope of the Udoo Bolt V8? Anyone here undertaken comparisions?

I ask because the LattePanda Alpha's lower power requirements means that potentially two LattePandas could be used in a server/endpoint config and probably still be powered by a single NUC linear power supply if you're careful about power budget.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, FredM said:

Can’t edit the post above, the version with English subtitles is now available: 

2 hours ago, FredM said:

Can’t edit the post above, the version with English subtitles is now available: 

Thanks @FredM  very interesting interview. I really like those interviews where audio designers talk that enthusiastically/passionate about their product. The problem is now I want a mu1 and a dCS Bartók of course, will need a few extra jobs too. 😢

Under development:

€13,500.00 Pink Faun Streamer 2.16 x

http://ultimate-audio.eu/wp-content/uploads/Pink-Faun-pricelist.pdf

£9,665.00 Antipodes Audio CX+EX

https://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.net/templates/32726/myimages/antipodes_pricing_2018_v2.pdf

A little bit of comparisons between the two

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/music-server-reviews/pink-faun-2-16x-2-3/

Scion Roon Endpoint turned out to cost €2,090 while there will be another Scion DAC.

LAN bridge with Ultra OCXO option would be an intriguing alternative to NET Card FEMTO, though this flagship clock option is expected to cost £650

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/c5-signature-ultra-low-jitter-clock-4461-p.asp