IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

5 hours ago, Bricki said:

IMG_20191118_185318.thumb.jpg.4cf309146a7aac0431e01a1f93005121.jpg

These are the chips on the Apacer RAM... I think they are Samsung but I don't know for sure

Yes, I also suspect it is Samsung.

Kingston uses chips from varying different vendors. So they vary depending on manufacturing time and model. I suspect it is the same case for Apacer as well. I've had Kingston memory with Samsung and Hynix chips as well.

While of course Crucial uses only Micron chips...

There are not that many memory chip manufacturers in the world...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

18 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Here's another glowing report on the Apacer ram.  Thanks, Nenon!  I purchased two 4GB sticks of non-ECC Apacer ram for my i7 DNBE NUC and two 8 GB sticks of ECC Apacer ram for my Asus B450m/Ryzen 2700 server.  I previously had Hyper X Fury ram in the NUC and Corsair Dominator Platinum in the server.  

I swapped out the ram in the NUC first and I had no idea it would make such a difference.  The improvements were pretty much as Bricki described above.  More air around instruments and voices, and just a general uptick in realism.  I waited a few days for it to settle in, then changed the ram in my server.  I really did not expect a difference on the server.  The Corsair Dominator Platinum ram has Samsung chips also.  What I got was more of the same, in fact there was a bigger improvement on the server than there was on the NUC.

This change was well worth it.  There was no wondering if I was imagining the change or not.  It came through loud and clear. 

Colin

Add me to the list of very pleased beneficiaries of having upgraded i7DNBE NUC ram from Hyper X Fury ram to Apacer ram.  Highly recommended. 

In your Asus B450m/Ryzen 2700 server ram upgrade, are you comparing Corsair Dominator Platinum ram non-ECC ram to ECC Apacer ram?

Wayne

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

1 hour ago, lwr said:

Add me to the list of very pleased beneficiaries of having upgraded i7DNBE NUC ram from Hyper X Fury ram to Apacer ram.  Highly recommended. 

In your Asus B450m/Ryzen 2700 server ram upgrade, are you comparing Corsair Dominator Platinum ram non-ECC ram to ECC Apacer ram?

Wayne

Yes, Corsair Dominator Platinum non-ECC ram vs Apacer ECC ram in server.

Colin

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Yes, I also suspect it is Samsung.

Kingston uses chips from varying different vendors. So they vary depending on manufacturing time and model. I suspect it is the same case for Apacer as well. I've had Kingston memory with Samsung and Hynix chips as well.

While of course Crucial uses only Micron chips...

There are not that many memory chip manufacturers in the world...

Miska do you have idea what the differences are between consumer ram and the industrial wide temp apacer ram? Staying with the same chip brand, is the inside of the chip different, is pcb different so what makes it wide temp range?

i do not think Samsung consumer ram sounds the same as the industrial ram.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

40 minutes ago, frederick184 said:

Yes, Corsair Dominator Platinum non-ECC ram vs Apacer ECC ram in server.

57 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

I also have similar findings from non-ECC G.Skill  switched to ECC APacer

OK so is the better sound quality due to industrial Apacer vs other commercial grade brands, or is due to ECC vs non-ECC?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

For Apacer, is "industrial" the same as "wide temperature?"

I am currently running a Xeon-based server with the normal temperature Apacer ECC ram but will soon be trying out the wide temperature ram.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

27 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Miska do you have idea what the differences are between consumer ram and the industrial wide temp apacer ram? Staying with the same chip brand, is the inside of the chip different, is pcb different so what makes it wide temp range?

i do not think Samsung consumer ram sounds the same as the industrial ram.

I don't know about the sound. But industrial chip variants just have wider temperature range than commercial (there is no consumer grade). If you want even wider, go for automotive (which is usually something like -55..135 C). There are two temp grade of this chip, "C" would be commercial and this one is "I" which is industrial.

Based on the part number on the chip you can check the datasheets. Here's a link to datasheet of that RAM chip:

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi/file/resource/2017/11/4G_E_DDR4_Samsung_Spec_Rev1_6_Jan_17-0.pdf

So temperature ranges are C=0..95 C and I=-40..95 C. Thus, the industrial version can also operate inside freezer... ;)

Both are rated for storage temperatures of -55..100 C.

It also says

Some applications require operation of the Extended Temperature Range between 85C and 95C case temperature. Full specifications are guaranteed in this range, but the following additional conditions apply: a) Refresh commands must be doubled in frequency, therefore reducing the refresh interval tREFI to 3.9us. b) If Self-Refresh operation is required in the Extended Temperature Range, then it is mandatory to use the Manual Self-Refresh mode with Extended Temperature Range capability (MR2 A6 = 0b and MR2 A7 = 1b).

Refresh settings have adjustment for Normal, Reduced and Extended temperatures. Refresh cycles are the same for both commercial and industrial variants at all temperatures, except for both twice as high when operating between 85 and 95 C.

So specification wise there's not really much difference between C and I versions.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Care to be the guinea pig?

Nope.  My current system doesn't support ECC memory.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Until someone buys Apacer in both ECC and non-ECC form for A/B testing in the same machine, we won't know for sure.  Care to be the guinea pig?  :)

If someone send me  Apacer 8GB 2x non-ECC then I can compare with my ECC on same machine but I gather most of you guys have 4 GB RAMs only. I also have large music files that can stress the system out haha.

29 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Until someone buys Apacer in both ECC and non-ECC form for A/B testing in the same machine, we won't know for sure.  Care to be the guinea pig?  :)

I have provided my report on that a couple of weeks ago. But I did not give enough break-in hours for the non-ECC RAM. So far all reports from the group buy say that it gets better after the first 72-100 hours. I will have to redo the test at some point and will report back again. 

On 11/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, Nenon said:

Update on ECC memory:

As you probably know from some of my previous posts here, I have been running an Asus / Ryzen 7 3700x computer with Apacer ECC RAM for some time.  Since my motherboard supports ECC and Non-ECC RAM, I ordered some Non-ECC Apacer RAM to compare. I was always curious if my memory upgrade was so good because I used industrial RAM or because I used ECC RAM, or both. 

I removed the Apacer ECC RAM and installed Apacer Non-ECC RAM. I let it run for about 30 minutes (not sure if RAM needs break-in time / if that is enough or not). My impressions so far:

- Non-ECC and ECC sound different. 

- I like the ECC RAM better in my system. My immediate impression is that it opens up the soundstage and there is more air around the instruments. 

- The industrial Non-ECC is still a step up from the consumer memory. 

Disclaimer: My ECC memory has been running for hundreds of hours (perhaps a 4-digit number), and the Non-ECC is brand new. So if RAM takes time to break-in, that's not a fair test. I will let the Non-ECC RAM break-in and repeat the test in a month. It would probably be good to get some consumer grade ECC RAM and include in the test. A good test would be to compare Apacer Non-ECC RAM vs. consumer (non-Apacer) ECC RAM. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

59 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK so is the better sound quality due to industrial Apacer vs other commercial grade brands, or is due to ECC vs non-ECC?

46 minutes ago, rickca said:

Nope.  My current system doesn't support ECC memory.

i only went from commercial to industrial sodimm. From 4Gb Corsair vengeance to G.Kill Ripjaws to apacer industrial wide temp allsounding different. Also went from 8GB to 4GB which mabe a difference to imo, smaller step.

Under development:

24 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Comparing with previous Apacer RAM, although they both are using Samsung memory chips (see below), the latest release sound better.

Apacer 75.B93GJ.G010B:

796173957_Apacer75.B93GJ.G010B.thumb.jpg.acbf3e7d00e3b2124446fb1d14fa854e.jpg

Apacer D21.23180S.001:

1259190362_ApacerD21.23180S_001.thumb.jpg.ff5eb8f3c31b7a7b5de3575569a05e1a.jpg

Mine where ordered from SoS electronic and have have sec713 on them. 

IMG_1668.thumb.JPG.86a51466ea3e8feea32a9ba000088fbc.JPG

What is the technical  difference between your two types? And sq wise?

Under development:

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

I have provided my report on that a couple of weeks ago. But I did not give enough break-in hours for the non-ECC RAM. So far all reports from the group buy say that it gets better after the first 72-100 hours. I will have to redo the test at some point and will report back again. 

Sorry I forgot about your earlier report.  Thanks for the reminder.  :)

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

Apacer 75.B93GJ.G010B is 2400 DDR4 RAM, where Apacer D21.23180S.001 is 2666 DDR4 RAM.  Using D21.23180S.001 show a bit more detail, smoother, richer, and more musical.

ah I just found it post 15089. Thanks

Under development:

Old version in stock again at SOS electronics. 10 pcs, read post 15245.

https://www.soselectronic.com/products/apacer/75-b93gj-g010b-307859

Under development: