IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

Hi All,

I have a Auralic Vega G2.1 Streaming DAC with Lighting app and use MinimServer for files located on disks/NAS. 

·     PCM: 44.1KHz to 384KHz in 32Bit

·      DSD: DSD64(2.8224MHz), DSD128(5.6448MHz), DSD256(11.2896MHz), DSD512(22.57892MHz).

And four preset filter modes.

Converted several good recordings like Graceland (96Khz), Bruce Springsteen Letter for You (96Khz), Dark Side of the Moon(44,1Khz), Ocean Boulevard (DSD 64) etc. by means of the trail version of PGGM MAC. 

I did not have any kind of expectations but I am really surprised.  It sounds (much) better that my original recordings. Also tested it with streaming Hires Qobuz so far as available otherwise the Redbook versions.  No doubt PGGM was more revolving, more space….. PRAT.  Ps. I am streaming via a Master Clocked EtherRegen and several daisy chained switches upfront. 

I will do several other new  tests with Transparency, Presentation and HF Noise Filters setting and the 4 preset Auralic filters which sounds best.

I am really surprised. 

Due to fact that my Auralic Vega 2.1 has a separate Analog input I am looking for an affordable NOS Dac up to 768 Khz or higher. Price <= €1500.  For the time being I like to avoid the HQ Player & USB train.😇

Please your advice.

Best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

22 minutes ago, ambre said:

Hi All,

I have a Auralic Vega G2.1 Streaming DAC with Lighting app and use MinimServer for files located on disks/NAS. 

·     PCM: 44.1KHz to 384KHz in 32Bit

·      DSD: DSD64(2.8224MHz), DSD128(5.6448MHz), DSD256(11.2896MHz), DSD512(22.57892MHz).

And four preset filter modes.

Converted several good recordings like Graceland (96Khz), Bruce Springsteen Letter for You (96Khz), Dark Side of the Moon(44,1Khz), Ocean Boulevard (DSD 64) etc. by means of the trail version of PGGM MAC. 

I did not have any kind of expectations but I am really surprised.  It sounds (much) better that my original recordings. Also tested it with streaming Hires Qobuz so far as available otherwise the Redbook versions.  No doubt PGGM was more revolving, more space….. PRAT.  Ps. I am streaming via a Master Clocked EtherRegen and several daisy chained switches upfront. 

I will do several other new  tests with Transparency, Presentation and HF Noise Filters setting and the 4 preset Auralic filters which sounds best.

I am really surprised. 

Due to fact that my Auralic Vega 2.1 has a separate Analog input I am looking for an affordable NOS Dac up to 768 Khz or higher. Price <= €1500.  For the time being I like to avoid the HQ Player & USB train.😇

Please your advice.

Best regards, Andreas

Perhaps consider Gustard X26 Pro,  based on ESS 9038 Pro in NOS mode (16FS/32bits). It benefits from PGGB.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Just now, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Perhaps consider Gustard X26 Pro,  based on ESS 9038 Pro in NOS mode (16FS/32bits). It benefits from PGGB.

Thanks Zaphod, 

Will have a look.  For the time being I like to avoid the HQ Player & USB train I have said earlier.

Of course I will need HQ-player again and do hope that a new NAA doesn't give the same connection issues as with Allo UsBridge and Mini PC X64 namely loosing connection as I switched inputs on my Auralic? 

Best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

2 hours ago, dmance said:

In 2019 I prodded Jussi L. to push the envelope with his HQPlayer PCM filters and noise shapers to meet or exceed MScaler sound quality. His 2M tap Sinc-L filter and 15th order LNS15 noise shaper then became my reference for up-sampling.

You are anyway better off with poly-sinc-ext2, sinc-S or sinc-M... Because sinc-L is non-apodizing. Note that sinc-M and sinc-L are totally different kind of filters, with nothing in common. Difference in number of taps between sinc-M and sinc-L is irrelevant detail.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, Jean Paul D said:

From your own FAQ : "What if a song is composed of many 30 second recordings that all got digitized and mixed together? Any tap length more than 30 seconds would be using bad information. "

Not to mention an artist (ie Bjork) recording her voice in her bedroom and then completing the track in 3 different studios, even a classical movement is more often than the other way round made of splices of different takes. Seems to me that without knowledge there's a risk of doing serious harm in many cases with modern digital productions. 

Of course, analog tapes digitized in one effort escape that risk.

A question : I would be thankful to know how you define short length in the following (reference to HQP filters would help me digging ) "For the above reason, for short lengths, minimum phase have a significant advantage over linear phase filters. " 

Hi Jean Paul,

In practice, I have not run into any album/track where this was an issue. I've PGGBed hundreds of albums now, mostly classical, followed by prog rock, jazz, and a smattering of others. I've yet to hear a case where the PGGBed track sounded weird, nor one where it sounded worse than the original. 

Naturally, YMMV, so I'd say just try it and judge for yourself with your favorite tracks.

Hallo Zaphod, 

I have converted the album Miles Davis a tribute to Jack Johnson 2 files  each approx. 1.2 Gb.

It took more than an hour to convert n to 352. Ps. Both files are now approx. 4.4 Gb. 

On Mac mini 2020 Intel 6 Core I7 / 32 Gb mem.

Other albums/ tracks ( max. 5) was 5-10 minutes. Converting to DSD is much more labor intensive?

Regards Andreas

1 hour ago, ambre said:

Hallo Zaphod, 

I have converted the album Miles Davis a tribute to Jack Johnson 2 files  each approx. 1.2 Gb.

It took more than an hour to convert n to 352. Ps. Both files are now approx. 4.4 Gb. 

On Mac mini 2020 Intel 6 Core I7 / 32 Gb mem.

Other albums/ tracks ( max. 5) was 5-10 minutes. Converting to DSD is much more labor intensive?

Regards Andreas

Yes DSDs are more intense and if you notice the Tap count they can hit 1B or 2B. 

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

3 hours ago, ambre said:

Thanks Zaphod, 

Will have a look.  For the time being I like to avoid the HQ Player & USB train I have said earlier.

Of course I will need HQ-player again and do hope that a new NAA doesn't give the same connection issues as with Allo UsBridge and Mini PC X64 namely loosing connection as I switched inputs on my Auralic? 

Best regards, Andreas

Ha I missed that, Gustard has IIS input that will accept 16FS

3 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Ha I missed that, Gustard has IIS input that will accept 16FS

Hi Zaphod,

Also USB : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, Native DSD up to DSD512, DSD DoP up to DSD256, MQA

😀

4 minutes ago, ambre said:

Hi Zaphod,

Also USB : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, Native DSD up to DSD512, DSD DoP up to DSD256, MQA

😀

And it has 10mhz master clock input too 😄😄😇

6 hours ago, dmance said:

I ran out of space in Dropbox for my posted PGGB'd music videos link. Use this Google Drive link here.

Thanks,

Dan

Will report tomorrow hopefully on pure audio tracks compared to HQP on my system but yet, through my laptop speakers, there is something good in the opening drumming of the Hozier video I did not get when I found and played the regular youtube 

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

@dmance Thanks for the feedback. 

11 hours ago, dmance said:

I set PGGB upsampling to 705.6/768 16fs and bit depth to 24-bits ... because that's what I used with HQPlayer and it's what MScaler's DBNC interface is. I use SRC-DX USB-to-DBNC bridge to avoid USB noise so I have not tried a 32bit file direct via USB. However, I believe USB’s 32bits is truncated to 24 at the DAVE’s signal interface anyhow.

DAVE's USB interface will not truncate to 24bits but 32bits 16fs to Mscalar will be truncated and noise shaped to 24 bits via DBNC input to DAVE. 32bits via USB direct to DAVE will have an advantage over 24bit direct to DAVE via USB. Since you are effectively bypassing DAVEs USB by using your bridge, it will be interesting to compare that with 32bits direct to DAVE via USB, both at 16FS rates.

I'd like to ask ZB to report on any round-trip analysis: like redbook upconversion to a float output (WAV 32 Float?) followed by downconversion to the original.

I will think about it, but to be a valid comparison, I need to use non apodizing filters. It will never be perfect, unperceivable perhaps yes.

. Monkeys Audio is a great lossless compression program that maintains all WAV metadata. (here) and MC is a champion with full support.  I converted all my PGGB'd .WAV files to .APE for seamless playback via MC.  I was seeing 25-30% file sizes.

WavPack is another option with similar compression performance, DBpoweramp will transfer all tags. I may support WavPack in the future if there is enough interest. HQP supports Wavpack but I have not tried it  with Wavpack myself.

I’m sure not every users audio setup is geared for video playback -> to a nice monitor and audio playback -> to a DAC ...but mine is. I’ve remixed PGGB’d WAV audio from a few 4K YouTube clips into MKV multiplexed video files. The results dramatically increase the feeling of being present : 4K video with 16fs remastered audio in perfect sync is amazing. For those interested, I have three clips being downloaded here (usage under fair use). You will need JRiver MC for playback of these files. Note that local audio playback will down-convert the audio to typically 48k so make sure MC is setup properly to preserve the full resolution PCM bitstream to your DAC.

This is really cool, I have not yet tried the videos, but I will. I have MC and regularly use it to route EQd 5.1ch Netflix audio through DAVE and Lynx Hilo.

I’m also quite satisfied with the performance; however, I would like more descriptive status ...especially during periods of inactivity and, on launch, the long delay between the disappearance of the startup screen and appearance of GUI interface regularly had me concerned that PGGB had crashed.

The startup time varies and it is the time the runtime takes to loads, since I have to work within the the constraints of what Matlab MCR offers, I am unable to control how long the splash screen appears, this has been a long requested feature.

The more descriptive status on the other hand is doable, you v=can mail e some examples of where you think it may help.

Thanks for the trial. In my system (Antipodes EX, HQPlayer, TT2, Utopia, iem’s) the sinc-L  filter and 705/768 give similar results. Real time conversion may change this as streaming will be in play. It is good to see more alternatives to the mscaler.

8 hours ago, mancolh said:

Thanks for the trial. In my system (Antipodes EX, HQPlayer, TT2, Utopia, iem’s) the sinc-L  filter and 705/768 give similar results. Real time conversion may change this as streaming will be in play. It is good to see more alternatives to the mscaler.

UPDATE:

My tests were done using roon-hqplayer with file on a nuc/rock. I moved the file onto the EX’s ssd and switched the output to MPD. Using Rigelian the file was fed directly from the  ssd to the mpd player on the EX. Transient attack, hidden detail, relaxed. Looks like I will be needing a bigger ssd. 

20 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

To a layman like myself... My DAC can do 384khz max. So why does PGGB convert to 352khz? And what is Integers. 

PGGB is designed to do sample-rate conversions within the same rate family. i.e., if your input is 44.1kHz, it will only do multiples of 44.1kHz so 8 x 44.1kHz is 352kHz, similarly multiples of 48kHz will be converted to 384kHz. PGGB uses is a single step conversion process using very long filters. While it is technically possible to convert44.1khz  to 384kHz, doing so with the very long filters will be a whole lot more time consuming, it will have to be multi-stage and multi-stage filtering also involves some SQ compromises. All these factors together outweigh any benifits of the slightly increased output rate.

8 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

PGGB v1.0.80 now has an option 'FLAC when possible'.

Dear Zaphod, Where can I find this option in the latest MAC version?

7 minutes ago, ambre said:

Dear Zaphod, Where can I find this option in the latest MAC version?

Download: PGGB - Offline remastering (remastero.com)

There are tow ways to get the latest version, the download button at the top right had corner or if you click the download button under updates. Both will take you to the download area with he latest release.

Download: PGGB - Offline remastering (remastero.com)

There are tow ways to get the latest version, the download button at the top right had corner or if you click the download button under updates. Both will take you to the download area with he latest release.

Already done but cannot find option  option 'FLAC when possible'.

4 minutes ago, ambre said:

Already done but cannot find option  option 'FLAC when possible'.

It is on by default, see my original post below and on how to override using the hidden menu. Or go here: https://www.remastero.com/guide.html#Hidden

Edit: On Mac, you just click on the Green cocktail image to see the menu

8 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

PGGB v1.0.80 now has an option 'FLAC when possible'. The tags and album art will be retained too. By default if the output rate is set to 8FS or lower and the bit depth is set to 24 or lower, output will be as FLAC files. To override see here.

It is on by default, see my original post below and on how to override using the hidden menu. Or go here: https://www.remastero.com/guide.html#Hidden

Thanks in the " HIDDEN" menu😁. But if you have the possibility to select 32 bits..... is it beter for SQ despite the lager files?