IGNORED

Request for new Forum - Vinyl

What do you propose we do with a Vinyl forum? 

I can see a place for having accurate technical or setup information, but you wouldn't or couldn't replace Vinyl Engine.  

I can also see being able to respond to questions other people may have, presuming there's enough people who hang out here that are able and willing to do that.  

Or do you see it as a place to post reviews of LPs that you believe have some merit due to their content or quality?

On 8/30/2019 at 5:06 AM, SJK said:

What do you propose we do with a Vinyl forum? 

I can see a place for having accurate technical or setup information, but you wouldn't or couldn't replace Vinyl Engine.  

I can also see being able to respond to questions other people may have, presuming there's enough people who hang out here that are able and willing to do that.  

Or do you see it as a place to post reviews of LPs that you believe have some merit due to their content or quality?

Vinyl Engine is a great resource, spending quite a few hours there, thanks for the suggestion, well done. There’s little point to have a mirror site here, when data is already collated on another comprehensive site.

Request withdrawn!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

23 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Would you call the music that’s not available on digital media also dead?

Agreed. I have never understood that perspective. I prefer to have my music in the form it was actually recorded in- whatever that may be...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

There's a surprising (at least to me) amount of just wrong information on the forums about turntable and tonearm/cartridge setup.  There's also some useful information as well.  I think that if a vinyl sub-forum could be curated by someone genuinely knowledgeable about the mechanical and electrical  aspects, it could be useful.  Threads titled "show us your turntable", not so much.

OMG let's not forget wire recordings.  And what about shellac 78s?  How much music never made it from 78 to any other format in the intervening decades?  That's actually really sad from a historical point of view, if not for audiophiles of today or tomorrow.

Perhaps Analog Media & Playback, with subs for specific formats like Reel to Reel, 78 RPM and classic Victrola machines, 33 1/3 & 45 vinyl, etc.  I suspect there wouldn't be much input/activity for Victrola, but some of them sure qualify as eyecandy haha!  I have a creepy relative who owned a large number of older music playback devices, including a player piano, wire playback, wax cylinder machine, several gorgeous Victrolas, and some others I've forgotten.  He was also an early adopter for things like laser disc, video recorders (he had a gigantic VHS deck in 1976, the first I ever saw--I recall the year because of the U.S. bicentennial celebrations, which he taped to show off his new toy), and the CD.  

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

31 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

OMG let's not forget wire recordings.  And what about shellac 78s?  How much music never made it from 78 to any other format in the intervening decades?  That's actually really sad from a historical point of view, if not for audiophiles of today or tomorrow.

Perhaps Analog Media & Playback, with subs for specific formats like Reel to Reel, 78 RPM and classic Victrola machines, 33 1/3 & 45 vinyl, etc.  I suspect there wouldn't be much input/activity for Victrola, but some of them sure qualify as eyecandy haha!  I have a creepy relative who owned a large number of older music playback devices, including a player piano, wire playback, wax cylinder machine, several gorgeous Victrolas, and some others I've forgotten.  He was also an early adopter for things like laser disc, video recorders (he had a gigantic VHS deck in 1976, the first I ever saw--I recall the year because of the U.S. bicentennial celebrations, which he taped to show off his new toy), and the CD.  

Yes, mentioning the past methods of recordings would be worthwhile from a historic perspective as quite a few items are becoming rarer. Not understanding the past creates an uncertain future. Certainly using modern techniques to capture the fidelity and the message of entrapped music from long ago would be worth an interesting read. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

50 minutes ago, wgscott said:

We also need a forum on vinyl press power supplies.

I can already feel my anxiety level ramping up, and I don't even have a turntable currently.  😱

(I own 3 opera boxed sets that I acquired new and sealed, that sat in a warehouse for approx. 40 years waiting for me haha!  Oh, and the 20th Anniversary vinyl reissue of Mariah Carey's Butterfly.  I also had the gatefold, 2-LP deluxe Chris Isaak Beyond the Sun, but it may not have survived my cross-country move, or it's just still packed away somewhere haha!)

I think everyone who feels that power supplies that are included with gear are inferior/horrible should expend some energy shaming the equipment manufacturers.  After all, many of these products being tweaked cost tens of thousands of dollars, I think the consumer is entitled to expect that they'd get something as basic as the power supply right at those costs.  Why would they even wish to give a penny to such awful companies if aftermarket tweaks are needed for musicality/whatever?  No thanks.  (I can understand where it's a low-priced product, and a cheap tweak could actually do something useful.  Can't think of a concrete example right now.  lol)  Anywho.  Not that anyone in real life wants my opinion, so I wouldn't expect anything more from strangers on the internet hahaha!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

1 hour ago, Hugo9000 said:

(I can understand where it's a low-priced product, and a cheap tweak could actually do something useful.  Can't think of a concrete example right now.  lol)

There are numerous products of all different types with a DC Input jack that have been supplied with a cheap and nasty SMPS plugpack that can be improved simply by plugging in a well designed Linear PSU, or even a higher quality Professional grade SMPS supply.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020