IGNORED

Request for new Forum - Vinyl

10 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Frankly, a vinyl forum makes sense.  Unfortunately, vinyl is sometimes the best mastering, but it shouldnt be so.

It will likely remain so in many cases.  I have a feeling remastering for streaming isn't going to take off.

It also works better for certain types of music.  Rock certainly benefits from the "sound" of vinyl in many cases.

4 hours ago, Norton said:

Very on trend. We will be expecting pics of your Nakamichi Dragon in the new forum (unless, of course,  you were not being entirely serious...)

I always wanted one - and wanted the 1000 before that, but went thru the 550 portable, some others and wound up with a 680zx which I still have.  I 'need' to get it working but life intervenes.  I have a half dozen tapes not available on digital I'd like to do needle drops on.

Unh... I mean tape to head presses, not needle drops.

5 minutes ago, SJK said:

I was going to write a heartfelt and impassioned plea on how LPs are still relevant and are what got us to where we are today.  

But it’s clear that on this site that would fall on deaf ears.  

And you know what?  It only matters to people who think it does.  And to those of us who think that way, remember this.  

We don’t mock your mini stereo systems with your exotic power supplies and your fancy USB cables and your endless comparisons of the same digital file in different formats and bit depths. 

There should be room at Audiophile Style for all of us.  If you don’t care about LPs, fine.  But don’t mock and denigrate those who do.

emotional-support-peacock-banned-from-fl

I'm not a vinyl fan, my LPs have been in the garage for 30 years so I'll join the hard(est)-core anti vinyl crowd: on AS I'd forbid every discussion on everything that is not purely digital, including every device that has any mechanical (mechanical means it's not digital after all) parts. I also demand a cable forum (obviously for discussing digital cables which don't have any mechanical parts only).  

Death to vinyl and analogue !!!  9_9

pick a Rega or VPi in your price range - if not the best performance/$$ then they will be very close

if you play music loud, or have wood floors, then sand box it, but BEST is to put it in a different room or rip at low SPL

a cover on while playing helps

high quality phono stage (Audio Research - used) and everything else...

DONE

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

pick a Rega or VPi in your price range - if not the best performance/$$ then they will be very close

if you play music loud, or have wood floors, then sand box it, but BEST is to put it in a different room or rip at low SPL

DONE

I am, or was, slowly using my new technics 1200G to do some needle drops of my vinyl albums that are not available on digital formats.

No electron left behind.

22 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

DONE

Not quite done yet.

I also have heard it said that for best results, I should consider using a dedicated phono stage.  Basically low output vs. high output.  Some vinyl studs have stated that a cheaper dedicated MM stage, if competently designed and constructed, will out perform more expensive and complex models. 

12 hours ago, kumakuma said:

The endless opportunity for tweaking that it provides for neurotic audiophiles?

Precisely my description of what goes on here regarding digital audio. 

I enjoy both analog and digital, though getting the best out of digital playback can be  and is more tweaks than analog. 

Ill leave it at that.

Not here to argue.

Would rather be doing nearly anything else, particularly listening to music - via digital or analog format. 

8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

DONE

It would appear that you have never thought of using something like Headphones for this purpose. DUH !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

It would appear that you have never thought of using something like Headphones for this purpose. DUH !

In my experience, listening to vinyl or needle drops using headphones is often quite unpleasant.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull