IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

4 minutes ago, esldude said:

We need a Wall.  A big beautiful huge wall to keep heathens and virgins out.

Any particular reason for the virgins? 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

56 minutes ago, wgscott said:
1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

...now who would have thought a thread entitled "Objectivists/Subjectivists" could end this way.....

"So many roads to choose
We'll start out walkin' and learn to run
(And yes, we've just begun)"

Trouble is the Objectivist/Subjectivist road is certain.

"There's roads and there's roads
And they call, can't you hear it?
Roads of the earth
And roads of the spirit
The best roads of all
Are the ones that aren't certain
One of those is where you'll find me
Till they drop the big curtain"

Sound Minds Mind Sound

8 hours ago, Jud said:

For myself, I reach a point very quickly where I've said what I had to say, and if folks want to listen to someone else I consider puddingheaded, then as people with my upbringing used to say, (Yiddish accent) "They should live and be well." (/Yiddish accent)

As in gey gezunterheyt?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

8 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I have a brilliant suggestion.

Lets all book a hotel conference room, turn up at the right date, and have hundreds of custard tarts, cream cakes, and trifles delivered, and see what happens.

I suggest a good cable discussion to initiate proceedings.

You are probably going to get objections from people demanding organic or vegan offerings to throw instead.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

47 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

"So many roads to choose
We'll start out walkin' and learn to run
(And yes, we've just begun)"

Trouble is the Objectivist/Subjectivist road is certain.

"There's roads and there's roads
And they call, can't you hear it?
Roads of the earth
And roads of the spirit
The best roads of all
Are the ones that aren't certain
One of those is where you'll find me
Till they drop the big curtain"

I think Bruce may have summed up the Objectivist/Subjectivist debate. He must be an Audiophile....

"Depends on what you look at obviously

But even more it depends on the way that you see"

Sound Minds Mind Sound

12 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I think Bruce may have summed up the Objectivist/Subjectivist debate. He must be an Audiophile....

"Depends on what you look at obviously

But even more it depends on the way that you see"

Bob Dylan may have captured the divide between the two groups with imagery in Positively 4th Street:

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
Then you'd know what a drag it is to see you

"Nobody is saying send your last $10,000 to an online preacher. "

4 hours ago, esldude said:

So if it were $2000 it's okay? Online preachers are believers too.

haha - well  change "online preacher" (here and in Chris' post) to "Nordost" and it is something that is suggested all the time and that it tends to blow up threads! :D

(Apologies - I am dropping in the middle of the thread and without reading the whole thing but the two posts made me think of that and I HAD to post myself!)

v

Let's try again...

13 hours ago, crenca said:

Your [sic] ill equipped to do the hard work (both thought and practical) to investigate the "why" of these results.

Where's your evidence for this claim?

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

14 hours ago, crenca said:

As an Audiophile subjectivist however, your result is evidence of the validity of subjectivism.

57 minutes ago, manisandher said:

14 hours ago, crenca said:

Your [sic] ill equipped to do the hard work (both thought and practical) to investigate the "why" of these results.

Where's your evidence for this claim?

Mani, this is nothing more than a baseless personal attack on yourself. he talks a lot of evidence which I predict he will not deliver, instead pressing his views on 'world order' and audiophiledom.....

Sound Minds Mind Sound

40 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Mani, this is nothing more than a baseless personal attack on yourself.

I am not a moderator in here but I do feel responsible for this subject popping up again (I started talking about it).

Can we please now drop it again ? Thanks.

With apologies of some kind.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

How are they supposed to do this if only one kind of reply is permitted?

Who said only one kind of reply is permitted?

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

Perhaps not, but people asking for advice in improving their sound on a budget of $1000 or so are regularly told to spend the bulk of it on exotic power cables, fuses, or other dubious pursuits. That's not what I consider helpful. Even if those items do make a difference, surely you agree they should not be the top priority.

With great respect to CC it doesn't matter what he thinks is top priority. What matters is what you think is top priority expressed in a way consistent with the rules and hopefully IMO with all of us , me included, trying not to offend.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

57 minutes ago, mansr said:
9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think people are smart enough to read the totality fo replies or lack of replies and come to a conclusion.

How are they supposed to do this if only one kind of reply is permitted?

That would indeed be nonsensical. But it could be your own conclusion that only one kind of reply is permitted (I am not sure and could have missed it). The mere important, however, would be that what Chris suggested as "a" solution (see quote) can not lead to a conclusion with sense. Oh, it would be OK for you and it would be fine for me, but it is not about us. Those who it is about ask for "education" of some sort and that won't happen easily in the way it currently goes. Or maybe it *is* possible but then there's more adultry (?) required from us than the age we bear.

I still think that Coax cable thread is a superb example because of your initial response in that thread. It really (and IMO) contained all the context required. It were others though providing the hype-up, and exactly that demands for some moderation (again IMO).

I also think it is outrageously difficult to even apply correct moderation because it would require maybe more knowledge than feasible. And suddenly you are suitable for that (now laugh).

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 minutes ago, Taz777 said:

Just out of interest, where would someone who uses audio electronics equipment and technology as a means to an end fit in? Once they've reached their 'end game'* all they care about is the songs and music produced by the artists that they follow and don't even give their HiFi equipment a second thought after that point?

Nice subject for a new thread.

But yes, I saw you stipulating in that direction already (other thread). All I like to say is that it will save you a lot of money in the end.

However, a real audiophile won't recognize much of that. He always eagerly watches the mail for his/her new toy to arrive ...

A new thread really is better and I must say it could bring a fresh look on a subject which isn't talked through often. It would also perfectly fit the bill of "Objectivists" vs. "Subjectivists", which you are more aware of by now than you asked for. Haha.

Subjectivists should have no voice in that thread. Or at least not profound.

Great subject ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

7 hours ago, Jud said:

Any particular reason for the virgins? 

For their own protection.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.