IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

16 hours ago, sandyk said:

So now you can measure not only the width of the soundstage, the depth of the soundstage, both behind the speakers AND the listening position , as well as the HEIGHT of the soundstage where this element is present, such as in a well recorded  Thunder Storm ? :o

You perceive sound stage in your head from the 2 channel noise coming out of your speakers!!!

I think this article may resolve the objectivist/subjectivist wars:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/building-a-new-system/

discuss....

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

34 minutes ago, Blake said:

I think this article may resolve the objectivist/subjectivist wars:

Your kidding right, this is what you present for evidence?

Edit, esldude just posted what I was about to type here.

+1

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

The opinion piece by the former XLO guy is actually okay in my own opinion.  He doesn't name names of guilty parties/companies, but he is right about there being many speaker and cable "designers" who have no expertise and just slap things together, as opposed to someone trying to make something like an amplifier while having no knowledge or experience.  For every KEF or JBL, there are a hundred Zu or fake-Harbeth-looking things with a few off-the-shelf parts thrown in it, or oddball fugly things with 8 tweeters and cheesy names and bs reasons listed as the "science" behind it, or whatever.

Same with cables, look at all the monstrosities out there that are designed as tone controls because of lack of knowledge of electrical properties or that have been "engineered" to have abnormally high capacitance to interact in a certain way with a system, rather than being engineered to have the least impact on the widest range of gear.  Cables are an "easy" purchase if you know that whatever is underneath the sheathing is something engineered by Mogami/Belden/similar and it is suitable for the intended application.  Mystery cables, where we are just supposed to trust them that the design is even electrically adequate (no details on the build geometry let alone any measurements of the basic LCR characteristics on many "boutique" cables with astronomical prices, for example), are something altogether different. 

The first thing to know about any system is that, of all of the components going into it, the two least likely to have been designed by an expert are the speakers and the cables:  Anyone at all, with any level of knowledge at all, can take any driver at all or any combination of drivers; put them into any box, or no box at all, with any crossover or no crossover at all; wire it together and hook it up to an amplifier and a signal source, and it will produce sound, and he will be able to declare himself a speaker designer.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/building-a-new-system/

His points seem like common sense to me.  But perhaps that will prove to be his own marketing angle for his new company:  appear reasonable and make minimal subjective claims to take over a niche that seems to be occupied mostly by Blue Jeans cable (their prices seem inflated to me for what you get, but at least they make no bs arguments about their products.  I'll admit I never looked at how much the connectors they use cost, so perhaps the prices are reasonable after all?).

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I agree JA does a good job with measures. But to impugn the ability of someone doing measures who is a degreed electrical engineer and spent most of their career in computer and electronics industries is a bit much.  Plus the person Peter doesn't like seems to do just fine with non controversial types of measures. I've been able to do the same measures for myself on one piece of gear. Results were pretty much identical. But I was reading meters not feelings.

Fair enough, although I don't see what JA and his 'liberal arts degree' have got to do with your post about Amir and PeterSt's differences. Specifically I find it a bit tedious when people bang on about how unscientific people with these 'liberal arts degrees' are. If it isn't a problem for JA, it probably isn't a problem for other people either. Have we even checked what degree JA has, not that I think it matters?

EDIT: JA got a BSc in science, and his first job after college was to do with chemistry. He spent a lot of time playing bass in various bands too.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

12 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Chris, I'd like to request this thread be closed. It's serving no purpose other than a playground for the worst of CA/SA which is the last thing I want as the OP. Let them start their own thread.

I think it serving a purpose where the thread is now. I didn't even mind SuperDad questioning whether I was affiliated in the industry. Whatever witch hunt he is on is fine with me but I certainly prefer a good shill hunt. 

24 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Chris, I'd like to request this thread be closed. It's serving no purpose other than a playground for the worst of CA/AS which is the last thing I want as the OP. Let them start their own thread.

Did you honestly expect this to be anything other than a troll-thread when you titled and started it?

Hi,

If you examine stereophile link as follows :

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mbl-corona-c15-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

This amplifier uses the UcD700HG where the specification states the output impedance at <1kHz is 20milliohms, whereas the stereophile measurements indicate 100milliohms.

At the following stereophile link :

https://www.stereophile.com/content/theta-digital-prometheus-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

This amplifier uses the NC1200 which has a max output impedance of 2milliohms (from a web forum, datasheet is not available to public) whereas the stereophile measurements are 110millohms.

Does anyone know why the datasheets state figures either 5x or 55x lower than the stereophile measurements ?

As per above, there seems to be some discrepancy here. It is possible that the specification sheet is the switching node output before the output filter.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 minute ago, Shadders said:

What about brass bands.

Barbershop quartets?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

28 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

Fair enough, although I don't see what JA and his 'liberal arts degree' have got to do with your post about Amir and PeterSt's differences. Specifically I find it a bit tedious when people bang on about how unscientific people with these 'liberal arts degrees' are. If it isn't a problem for JA, it probably isn't a problem for other people either. Have we even checked what degree JA has, not that I think it matters?

EDIT: JA got a BSc in science, and his first job after college was to do with chemistry. He spent a lot of time playing bass in various bands too.

Actually that was the point about JA. He does a good job. I thought I remembered him saying he started his first job as a copy editor.  In any case it made no sense to act as if an EE was clueless and bumbling in basic testing. 

As even beyond that the testing is there to see. If he were a moonlighting taxi driver or a poet it would make no difference. Peter was peddling misinformation because he doesn't agree with the fellow's motivations.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.