IGNORED

Objectivists/Subjectivists

89reksal

Just now, Music Enthusiast said:

Over 70 is common on audiophile forums.

Wow. OK, admittedly 10 years ago many of my own forum members were heading to their 60's. Today this should be 70's.

But you say that we are trying to talk to mostly 70 year old ? I guess so.

Maybe that ...

nah ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

19 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Okay here's the entire statement including the first half:

"I happen to own a streamer with a fibre optic Ethernet input. And I can't for the life of me hear a single bit of difference between any components I swap upstream of the streamer. Switches, servers, you name it. And it's not because I'm hard of hearing. I could clearly hear the difference between switches, servers, and the supplies that power them when I used to use a streamer that has copper Ethernet inputs. 

And I can imagine the fibre implementation on the Opticalrendu is at least as good. The only thing I can see affecting a setup with an opticalRendu is the supply powering it, and the miniGBIC module.Well that and if it's receiving enough throughput from the network setup. If not dropouts will be experienced.

But of course let's not rule out expectation bias. That can make for real differences in the active mind of an audiophile. When they give placebo's to patients in hospitals, the list of side effects is no shorter than is experienced with actual medications. So take comfort in the fact that this phenomenon isn't something only limited to audiophiles."

Is the person who said this an objectivist, or subjectivist?

Well, sounds like he/she is wrestling with the results. My guess someone with a foot in both camps and trying to reconcile same. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Just now, PeterSt said:

Wow. OK, admittedly 10 years ago many of my own forum members were heading to their 60's. Today this should be 70's.

But you say that we are trying to talk to mostly 70 year old ? I guess so.

Maybe that ...

nah ...

There's not much for new blood between 30 and 50 taking up this hobby to the level they desire to participate in forums. It's mostly the same group who's been around from day 1 of audio forums going around in circles with the same arguments they were having from their 1st day. Never learning a thing, only riding the merry-go-round. 

2 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Well, sounds like he/she is wrestling with the results. My guess someone with a foot in both camps and trying to reconcile same. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Do you mean balanced viewpoint, and understanding that the world isn't just black or white? Is that allowed? Or is it against the terms and conditions of the forum? 

2 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

There's not much for new blood between 30 and 50 taking up this hobby to the level they desire to participate in forums. It's mostly the same group who's been around from day 1 of audio forums going around in circles with the same arguments they were having from their 1st day. Never learning a thing, only riding the merry-go-round. 

So those with the age of, say, 60+ are the objectivists.

Aha, that sheds some light.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Just now, PeterSt said:

So those with the age of, say, 60+ are the objectivists.

Aha, that sheds some light.

Well I suppose many of the crowd from the 50's 60's era where the industry was in search of "high fidelity" are likely in that camp. Later on in the late 70's-80's many started catching on the measured results that insinuate high fidelity, do not mean it will result in what the younger crowd called  "musicality". 

9 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Do you mean balanced viewpoint, and understanding that the world isn't just black or white? Is that allowed? Or is it against the terms and conditions of the forum? 

Just what the forum needs. A newbie with a really positive and uplifting attitude! :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 minute ago, Music Enthusiast said:

do not mean it will result in what the younger crowd called  "musicality". 

This explains why Chris C. did not know about this term.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

This explains why Chris C. did not know about this term.

Maybe I have his backward. I thought you referred to the now older people in their younger days used a term "musicality". In that case Chris would have missed it.

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

I smell ostracism coming my way! Bring out the pitchforks and torches men!

Don't flatter yourself! Pitchforks and torches require a lot of expense and effort.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

8 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

It's a really pleasant word that fits right in with the euphemism movement that started in the early 80's.

I wasn't there at the time. Though last night I played a mix of Nazareth and Heaven 17 which both I think ended in that period. I was shocked to learn that Boy George relates to the latter.

Anyway, no musicality in the 80's for me. No Musicology either, yet.

XXHighEnd (developer)

21 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Don't flatter yourself! Pitchforks and torches require a lot of expense and effort.

Ahh so the good old lets all PM each other and come up with a plan on how we can whine to the moderators and waste their time? 

"Ahh somebody isn't in 1 of our 2 traditional 2 camps. We must eliminate him. Standard protocol boys." Chrissssssssssss!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Ahh so the good old lets all PM each other and come up with a plan on how we can whine to the moderators and waste their time? 

Or maybe there should be a rule that newbies have a probationary period during which negativity is not tolerated. :)

4 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Or maybe there should be a rule that newbies have a probationary period during which negativity is not tolerated.

No negativity here. Just stating facts about audio forum demographics. And the constant bickering that takes place from this demographic involved in this hobby. Facts cannot be either positive or negative. Positivity or negativity felt from hearing facts are only a fabrication made in the mind of the reader. If one cannot read about facts without triggering a negative emotional response, the internet isn't for them. 

5 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

No negativity here. Just stating facts about audio forum demographics. And the constant bickering that takes place from this demographic involved in this hobby. Facts cannot be either positive or negative. Positivity or negativity felt from hearing facts are only a fabrication made in the mind of the reader. If one cannot read about facts without triggering a negative emotional response, the internet isn't for them. 

Thank you for proving my point. Dwelling on the negative aspects of anything is negativity, regardless of whether it is factually based. Good night.

7 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Positivity or negativity felt from hearing facts are only a fabrication made in the mind of the reader.

All right. Then the subjectivist is loaded with positivity (it always gets better) and the subjectivist is charged with both, just because he says so. Obviously this is not-charged. However, in common language we call them negativists.

This is how the positivists always hear differences (they have to because they need to improve) and the negativists are regarded deaf (they never hear a change anywhere).

And funny again: My spelling correction not only doesn't know about objectivists but now also doesn't know about negativists.

From this all should follow that the objectivist/negativist does not exist hence is fake. Or perhaps is faking.

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 minutes ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Objectivists/Subjectivists is just someone looking for a scrap. 

Hey hey hey, no denigration of the elder, OK ?

What means "looking for a scrap" ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 minute ago, PeterSt said:

All right. Then the subjectivist is loaded with positivity (it always gets better) and the subjectivist is charged with both, just because he says so. Obviously this is not-charged. However, in common language we call them negativists.

This is how the positivists always hear differences (they have to because they need to improve) and the negativists are regarded deaf (they never hear a change anywhere).

And funny again: My spelling correction not only doesn't know about objectivists but now also doesn't know about negativists.

From this all should follow that the objectivist/negativist does not exist hence is fake. Or perhaps is faking.

Ok so we are still living in the world of black and white. Grey doesn't exist.