IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

On 9/15/2018 at 8:42 AM, rickca said:

Chris, I'm now seeing new entries like

mansr reacted to a post in a topic: Is Resolution The Only Barrier Between Stream And Own

in the All Activity stream that never used to be there.  This just adds clutter.

This is really getting out of hand.  On the current activity stream, the most recent 10 entries are all reactions with 8 of them from the same user.  It's meaningless.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Chris;

I am confused about the designations of member level on this forum. For instance:

Ralf11 has 8, 219 posts to his credit, yet he is listed as a "Junior" member

While I have only 6,986 posts and I'm listed as a "Senior" member

Firedog has only 25 more posts (8244) to his credit than Ralf11 (a Junior with 8219) yet he is listed as a Master member!

I remember you saying one time that the levels on this forum were based solely on the number of posts. Yet clearly it must be something else, or Ralf11 and Firedog would both be masters. I would think that Ralf11 would at least be a Senior? I must be missing something.

George

18 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Chris;

I am confused about the designations of member level on this forum. For instance:

Firedog has only 25 more posts (8244) to his credit than Ralf11 (a Junior with 8219) yet he is listed as a Master member!

I remember you saying one time that the levels on this forum were based solely on the number of posts. Yet clearly it must be something else, or Ralf11 and Firedog would both be masters. I would think that Ralf11 would at least be a Senior? I must be missing something.

Some people have manually edited their ranks to say whatever they want.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

43 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Could we make it a requirement for those who are a member of the trade, even as a consultant, to state that as their "rank". I think that it would avoid some confusion regarding their "point of view" on a given topic.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, Richard Dale said:

Perhaps you could add 'Like', 'Thanks' and 'Off Topic' totals under the total number of posts number when we post something to give a more accurate picture about what the community thinks about someone, rather than what they think of themselves in terms of fancy names.

I don't personally care what I'm called, apart from not liking any labels with 'Senior' in them, although I think I am currently 'Junior' which doesn't sound quite right either.

This is pretty easy to do. It has been used for abuse previously but who knows, maybe we’ve all grown up since ?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is pretty easy to do. It has been used for abuse previously but who knows, maybe we’ve all grown up since ?

Yes, there has been a stunning increase in maturity since then. 9_9

Actually, I do think there is value in exposing that a user is a "contributor," based on their "score." The score could either be:

• total upvotes (thanks+likes+upvotes), or
  • total upvotes - total off topic

The problem is that trolls get upvotes too, from other trolls. So looking at the total upvotes site-wide may mistakenly identify some trolls as contributors.

How about this: can counts be maintained on a per-thread basis? If a user achieves a certain score within a thread, then they could be recognized as a contributor on that thread, rather than site-wide.

Just a thought.

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Chris;

How many posts does it take to be a Troll?

31 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, there has been a stunning increase in maturity since then. 9_9

Actually, I do think there is value in exposing that a user is a "contributor," based on their "score." The score could either be:

• total upvotes (thanks+likes+upvotes), or
  • total upvotes - total off topic

The problem is that trolls get upvotes too, from other trolls. So looking at the total upvotes site-wide may mistakenly identify some trolls as contributors.

How about this: can counts be maintained on a per-thread basis? If a user achieves a certain score within a thread, then they could be recognized as a contributor on that thread, rather than site-wide.

Just a thought.

Expanding on this idea of per-thread contributors. You could mark their posts with the same green border that currently gets triggered with 2+ upvotes.

The other feature that would be nice is to frame posts that garner 2+ Off-topic votes with a Red border.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

How many posts does it take to be a Troll?

You need a advanced degree from MIT (Mans Institute for Trolls).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions/issues.

When I click on "Unread Content" button I see more than one entry for "A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming". For most threads I just see the most recent post.

Second. Could this thread be a sticky in the General Forum.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

51 minutes ago, mourip said:

When I click on "Unread Content" button I see more than one entry for "A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming". For most threads I just see the most recent post.

I’ve had the same thing occur randomly for several weeks.  But with different threads than the one you mention (though I also subscribe to that one).

On 9/23/2018 at 12:28 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Head-fi is a forum example where the ranking system was extensively abused.  Many would routinely add 1 word comments multiple times in any given topic to "grind" up their title. I'd prefer to see titles based on the number of people who have responded favorably to someones posts... that requires longevity and audience interest.

Not the number of favorable "likes" as that is rife for cliche abuse but the number of unique "likes"

Regards,

Dave

Audio system