IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Number of posts is called Rank, but we also have Reputation. I just enabled the reputation score and details. It now appears under your photo and in your profile page. We'll see how this goes. 

How is the "reputation" score calculated?

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is how it's set now. Mostly default. Can be customized endlessly.Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.25.16 AM.png

There appears to be more to it than that. For the handful of profiles I checked, the displayed score is somewhat more than the sum of the upvote/like/thanks counts.

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There's a way to game everything. It's hard to run anything based on the small number of people who will always find a way. 

Let's do our best to find the best solution and ignore the people who must abuse things. 

It is all about being skillful at the balancing act. You are doing great!

Meanwhile, the reputation rank is confusing and shocking too. ?

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just enabled the reputation score and details.

OK good now that you're processing reactions to develop a score, can we eliminate the reactions themselves from the activity stream?  A topic (thread) reputation might also make sense.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Or a few sock puppet accounts.

depends... need to see the statistics on existing unique user approvals. Might require a lot of sock puppets/effort to put your finger on the scale. But reputation without number of unique respondents is pretty meaningless. If I saw a reputation with lots of likes and only a few generating the likes, that would diagnose a very partisan reputation.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Question about the unused "Reputation Activity" space.  What in exact terms will this reflect?  Some of us take our semi-anonymous online reputation very seriously, you'll know.  Be a shame to have to direct energy towards removing results on such a nice SEO site as you have here.  ;)

I lack a more polite of way of addressing whether this space would reflect every bad thing ever said about you in one nice tidy space.  The type of efficiency sure to win plaudits well beyond normal limits. 

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, rando said:

Question about the unused "Reputation Activity" space.  What in exact terms will this reflect?  Some of us take our semi-anonymous online reputation very seriously, you'll know.  Be a shame to have to direct energy towards removing results on such a nice SEO site as you have here.  ;)

I lack a more polite of way of addressing whether this space would reflect every bad thing ever said about you in one nice tidy space.  The type of efficiency sure to win plaudits well beyond normal limits. 

Capture.PNG

To be honest, I have no idea what could or would go there. Our CMS has so many options and features it's crazy. I just thought I'd try something by enabling this one. Could be a bust. Could be a hit. Could be somewhere in the middle. We'll see. 

I'm not opposed to making changes.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

@The Computer Audiophile Sorry to interrupt the stream of fresh complaints being dashed off in your direction to make you deal with an overarching concern.  The safety and well being of all here is well on appreciated as a background service without serving the desires of an actual background service.  My hope is you view this as a means to allow relaxation and enjoyable discussions.  

Have you considered adding a secretarial position to your list of new hires?  

10 minutes ago, rando said:

@The Computer Audiophile Sorry to interrupt the stream of fresh complaints being dashed off in your direction to make you deal with an overarching concern.  The safety and well being of all here is well on appreciated as a background service without serving the desires of an actual background service.  My hope is you view this as a means to allow relaxation and enjoyable discussions.  

Have you considered adding a secretarial position to your list of new hires?  

Everything we try is an attempt to make the experience here at CA better for everyone. It's not only good, but it's good business practice too. If some sort of a reputation score helps people, then we'll keep it. If not, we'll get rid of it. 

We aren't married to features that don't further the goal of making this hobby more enjoyable 

I've considered adding every position under the sun to the list of new hires. The problem always comes down to money. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is how it's set now. Mostly default. Can be customized endlessly.Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.25.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.25.26 AM.png

Now you've got me trying to guess the formula! 

One observation: "Likes" are not enabled in the screen shot above. But that should drive the score further up.

I wonder if it's counting upvote/like/thanks given as well as received, perhaps with a weight factor? And unclear how Off-Topics are handled. Looks like they do are deemed neutral (0) so should not affect the score.

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

I agree.

I also suggest going in the opposite direction some of the others suggest:  Eliminate all of the button-click up-votes, off-topic badges, etc. They are all being abused by people who want to reward their friends (people they agree with) and punish people who have the temerity to disagree with them with the off-topic button.

These badge-buttons can be manipulated to such an extent that they rapidly become meaningless.

In the absence of the non-verbal button-pressing option, people at least have to articulate why they agree or disagree with something. It leads to a more meaningful and intelligent conversation.   

Assuming the original idea was to allow people to rapidly find the more valuable posts in a thread, I wonder if raising the number of favorable reactions required to “go green” would at least present readers with fewer such comments to look at.

I’m in agreement that seeing reactions in the activity stream by default is distracting rather than valuable to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

They are all being abused by people who want to reward their friends (people they agree with)...

As evidenced by our resident self-proclaimed "troll" showing with a shocking 5,763 reputation points.  Those are clearly upvotes of his prolific short snarky digs--and not a reflection of useful advice or information shared.   I've been watching the reactions to those for months, and you professor Scott are often among those adding to his tally. Just sayin'. :P

Frankly, based on what we are seeing, I think the display of such tallies should be ditched.

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

As evidenced by our resident self-proclaimed "troll" showing with a shocking 5,763 reputation points.  Those are clearly upvotes of his prolific short snarky digs--and not a reflection of useful advice or information shared.   I've been watching the reactions to those for months, and you professor Scott are often among those adding to his tally. Just sayin'. :P

Frankly, based on what we are seeing, I think the display of such tallies should be ditched.

Jealous much?